Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PCV Oil Separator on Gen II Coyotee, needed ?

Post Thanks / Like

PCV Oil Separator on Gen II Coyotee, needed ?

Continuing to work on my Gen II Coyote install with lots of off-line help (thanks Al_C & Ducky 2009).

Wanting to know what practice has been on whether to add/not add an oil separator to the PCV lines ?

If so, would appreciate it if you shared some details on your set-up.

Thanks.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one on mine. Pretty common practice with the Mustang performance crowd, and chose to do the same on mine. There are lots of brand options out there. JLT Performance seemed to be one of the most common, and highly rated, when I was looking so that's what I have. This link describes and has a decent video. https://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-o...lack-1117.html. Mine is the newer version shown. I did replace the hoses to make it a little cleaner and tighter to the front of the engine. But that's strictly optional. Typically they're only placed on the passenger side (right). In actual use, it doesn't collect a lot. The times I've checked it, there was enough oil to wipe out of the bottom. But it's not like it's filling up our pouring out. But still a good idea IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The instruction from FFR refer to two methods of plumbing the PCV lines. The "clean" method has the lines tied into a connection you install in your Spectre intake runner. The "dirty" method has the lines combined and plumbed with an open ended hose at the back of the engine. I originally went with the "dirty" method. It's a far easier installation. After my first drying season I noticed NO oil at the end of the hose. I then opted to remove both PCV hoses and installed smallK&N filters instead. After another 30,000 kilometers -- NO oil visible. I personally don't see the need for the separator.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    I personally don't see the need for the separator.
    Of course you don't. Maybe if I had recommended he not use one.

BTW, since you cited Factory Five instructions, Factory Five has removed the "clean" vs. "dirty" PCV installation option from their most recent instructions. They only show using the closed PCV system.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-10-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't add one to mine. The PVC sucks the oil fumes from the engine and burns them. If you plan to race/run the engine hard, I'd add one. While running the engine hard, you could suck in oil (a small amount of liquid) and the engine would have to burn it. Too much of this would eventually cause residue built-up. And, as Paul stated, they are usually only installed on the PS, half of the system.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 08-10-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Then there is dirty where there is no emission testing on these cars like NC.

FWIW ran the relaxed system with an oil catch can instead of open vent for a while & would dump the collected oil every three months.

The push in filters have been cleaned once in 3 years. Collected oil seems to drain back into the engine as none has shown up on the valve covers or under hood.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-10-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the gen I Coyote and the JLP separator. It catches a quarter cup of oil over a couple thousand miles. While it's true the engine will burn the oil coming through the PVC line, the intake will also get very coated with a very black slime while it's going through. I prefer trying to keep the intake clean by catching the oil before it gets to the intake.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not worry too much on a N/A engine. The oil vapors can either be condensated and captured in the can or be pulled into the engine and burned, your choice. Oil vapors can reduce octane effectiveness. If you run balls out, high rpm, on the limit on your tune, I recommend it. With todays engine fit and quality lubes, you will probably not capture much oil.
    If you are running a pressure induction, I recommend it 100%. Once you get under boost and pressurize your crankcase, the oil vapors increase greatly. If you let these vapors go through your intercooler, it will coat the fins reducing effectiveness and leaving a source for oil to enter the air charge.
    This is definitely an issue reducing the performance of your engine, especially those with adaptive ECU.
    The resulting spark adv retard kills the power. If you are running a SCT tune with the tuner, you can monitor the retarding of the ign adv.
    Anyway, definitely run a catch can on boosted applications. If you want to keep you intake runners clean, run it on N/A engines.
    On the modular engines the passenger side puts out more oil vapors. This is probably due to the highest vacuum source is on that side.
    Hope this helps in the decision.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    As usual, excellent feedback all.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods