FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: torque wrench recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

torque wrench recommendation

Hi guys,
    Quick tool advice question: I'm building up the tool collection to get ready for arrival of our car in a couple weeks. On Harbor Freight, I see a Pittsburgh Torque Wrench is only $20 - less than 25% of what a Husky torque wrench costs. Are people happy with the quality of the pittsburgh torque wrenches? It almost seems like too good a deal to be true so i just wanted to check with you all. Also, from reading the build manual, it looks like we probably need two different torque wrenches, one for relatively low torque and one for high torque - do people generally get 2?
    Thanks a lot for you advice!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have bought a lot of tools from HF that has worked out just fine. I don’t know that I would trust anything that is calibrated though. I have 2 torque wrenchs. One that goes to 100lbs and a larger one for 250lbs. Both Craftmans.
    Did not want to take chances of anything loosening at go fast time.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

3. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it doesn't come with a calibration cert showing the error over its range how do you know how accurate it is? All good quality torque wrenches can be had with calibration certs. And to maintain that accuracy it has to be calibrated on a reasonable frequency based on use.

Yes, top of the line precision tools cost more but this is one of those areas that you get what you pay for. With tools the rule is "buy cheap = buy twice" but with a precision measuring tool unless you have a calibration gauge how do you know the reading it gives you is accurate? And if it's not accurate then what purpose does it serve?

5. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pay the extra money for the Husky. I have two of them and they are high quality. And you will need a torque wrench in inch-lbs if you are using Wilwood brakes and I think for something else but I can't remember what. Also, your front spindle Hub Nuts need to be torqued to 250 ft-lbs. you might check your local Napa store because they might be able to loan you those tools.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

7. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 3/8" drive Harbor Freight and a 1/2" drive Kobalt (Lowes brand of Husky). Can't afford a Snap On. Kobalt is a little better made (it seems) than the HF but the torque readings are harder to see as they are marked into the chrome. I've compared both to the same torque number and they are pretty much the same, so I'd have to give the HF a thumbs up for accuracy.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

9. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1/4" and 3/8" Harbor Freight and a 1/2" Snap-On. The HF units are certainly accurate enough for car building. The only reason I have the Snap-On unit was for the ball joints.

I think the HF ones will be fine.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

11. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of the H-F torque wrenches. I suspect they're OK. But to be honest I don't use them as often as the Brownline Metal Works digital one I bought several years ago. Around $100 as I recall. ACDelco makes a similar one for about the same price. Required? I don't know. But appreciate how the digital works with direct readout, light warnings, etc. A little better than the sometimes subtle "click" of the H-F wrenches. You'll need a wrench that goes as high as 250 ft-lbs for a couple things on the build. But many just use the rent a tool program at their local parts store since that high range is rarely needed.

Something else that's a little interesting. There are a number of companies offering a digital torque adapter, similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Home Depot has one. H-F has one. Etc. Has the ability to use a standard ratchet or breaker bar and get a torque reading. But also has the ability to be a poor man's calibration tool. I checked the H-F clickers out using this tool and they were pretty close. FWIW. Yea, I know only as accurate as that device which also isn't calibrated. But digital stuff is surprisingly accurate.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

13. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use some H-F tools but I tossed my 3/8th H-F torque wrench in the trash after I broke a bolt with it. It was a small aluminum bolt with a rating that was pretty low in the range of the torque wrench. I remember thinking that it seemed like I was putting on more pressure then I thought would be needed but it had not clicked. Then the bolt broke and the tool went in the trash. I felt that it was a bit inconsistent before. Maybe I just got a bad unit but on the lower end of the range, mine did not seem to work at all.

I got another off of Amazon that had good ratings. I think it was Mountain, but I don't remember and have tossed the case. It seems to work very well for me the past couple of years. What I really want is a Snap-On Digital torque wrench but even used they seem to be around $300. They can do angle and have lights on the side that light up as you get close to your angle or torque rating. Super nice but hard to justify that much for me. Maybe I should look up edwardb's recommendation. Digital is the way to go in my opinion but they used to be very expensive. It looks like now there are some more reasonably priced options available.

15. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like tools that have lifetime exchange warranties.

Had a husky I used for the Cobra build. It ended up breaking. I probably owned it for 10 years and got plenty of use out of it. Went up to HD and traded it in for a new one no questions asked. That is always a nice option to have.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

17. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a couple of H-F torque wrenches (3/8" and 1/2") that I've had for probably 5 years and have used on a number of automotive items. I've never had anything come loose or overtighten and break when using them.

I wouldn't overthink it.

19. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind, you will be unable to get a torque wrench on a good amount of bolts. I use a HF, but would recommend buying a quality one

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the AC Delco that Paul mentioned. It's great for the low torque bolts like on the Wilwoods. I also have a Craftsman and another off-brand for mid range stuff up to 150 pounds and finally, a Neiko monster 3/4" 39" long beast that can go up to 300 pounds. Believe it or not, the mid range no-name is the one that gets the most use (mostly lug nuts). I don't really like the Craftsman that I bought to replace the no-name piece. Oh, for what it's worth the conversion from ft pounds to inch pounds is simple; one ft pound = 12 inch pounds. So, to do the 150 inch pound Willwood hat bolts, you need 12.5 ft pounds.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

22. Thanks PeteMeindl, rich grsc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one has a good range and is long enough to make 250 ft-lb possible.

TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (25-250 ft.-lb./33.9-338.9 Nm)

TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (25-250 ft.-lb./33.9-338.9 Nm)

24. Thanks PeteMeindl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for all the good advice, guys! I really appreciate it.

Rear end arrived today so we now have the first actual part of the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer old tools and for torque wrenches I have a couple of older Snap-On ones that are awesome. Smaller 3/8 drive goes to 100 ft. lbs. and larger 1/2" drive to 250 ft. lbs. Nice thing about Snap-On is you can have them calibrated at anytime, as they still support their older stuff.

Look on-line (craigslist or e-bay are great sources) and find a decent one with a recent certification - you can save a ton of dough and get a really high-quality tool that will last forever.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with NAZ have 4 Craftsmen. 3/8th in in lbs, 3/8 in ft lbs, 1/2 in ft lbs to 120 ft lbs & 1/2 to 300 ft lbs IIRC. Reason for the spread in torque wrenches is accuracy is rated as a % of the scale.

Mine are basic click on torque. Big thing to remember with these wrenches is to release the setting when you are done to keep calibration. Would not cheap out especially when connecting aluminum parts. Very easy to strip the threads with an over torque.

Compared to the money you will put into the build good tools are chump change & you will always have the tool afterwards.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15