Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Firewall Power Brake Unit for 33 HR

Post Thanks / Like

Firewall Power Brake Unit for 33 HR

I'm doing some revisions to my car. The brakes are one area I'm addressing. I would like to go with power brakes but still use the Wilwood pedal box that came with the kit. I've done a little research on the subject and it seems that the Whitby unit is the only one available. Anybody have another option? How has the Whitby unit been working? Anybody else done a conversion?

Thanks

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the Whitby unit will work. You may have your patience tried waiting for it. Ask me how I know. LOL. But worth the wait IMO. You can see it in my 35 thread.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Hot-Rod-Pickup

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched my master cylinders to the firewall so I could use power brakes if needed. See pic._DSC0103.jpg
    This just took one pedal change and a belcrank to reverse the push of the brake pedal and move it up to clear my valve cover.

TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn,

What brakes do you have now? Stock mustang on rear, Wilwood on front, stock mustang all around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH33 View Post
    See pic._DSC0103.jpg
    Nice! You have a P/N for that M/C? And if you decide to go power, are you going to use the Whitbey booster, or which booster? I like how your M/C is flat whereas the Whitbey unit is angled up from the firewall.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the subject of brakes for 33'.. REAR brakes. Mustang 8.8 rear caliper is on Back side of axle. I Heard,,,, that it should be flipped to front side for Park Brake concerns..... Is this SO???? Would rather just leave it where it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

I have wilwood 13” rotors with 6 piston calipers front and 12.5” rear rotors with 4 piston calipers. I started with a 1” bore Wildwood master cylinder but I didn’t like the pedal feel so I went to a 7/8” Wilwood master. I feel no need for power brakes at this time, but I did mock up with a 9” dual vacuum booster to see if it would fit and it did. Because of the cam I am running in my motor, I have no manifold vacuum at idle so I would have to go Hydroboost unit and that is a hole new can of worms.

What was nice about this setup is you can put your gauges right behind the steering wheel where they belong. I used the large gauges not supplied, 5” tach and speedo. There was about an inch clearance between the gauges and steering column holder when I mount the body

I am not sure what brakes you have now or if this would work for you.
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyAndy View Post
    On the subject of brakes for 33'.. REAR brakes. Mustang 8.8 rear caliper is on Back side of axle. I Heard,,,, that it should be flipped to front side for Park Brake concerns..... Is this SO???? Would rather just leave it where it is.
    I kept mine on the rear. I have found no reason, so far, to move them.IMG_0918.JPG
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    TomH33, do you have pic's of your peddle assembly with the bell crank? I too want to move my master cylinder to the firewall.