Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Plastic v. Aluminum Center Console

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic v. Aluminum Center Console

I have read that the aluminum center console is a great upgrade from the plastic one that came with my older generation kit. I am using the FFR aluminum shifter kit. What would anyone recommend for that set-up? Would I be better to order the new aluminum pieces from Factory Five or stick with the plastic one that I have? I am just trying to figure out how the aluminum pieces would work with the FFR shifter??

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my assembly of the Al console and FFR shifter with stock cables. There's not much clearance around it, so fitting a boot might be tight (I'm leaving it open as shown). That small clearance means that the shifter + console location fore/aft has to be considered. For my reach, seat position, etc. it came together pretty well and I think it will mate with the dash position well- though I'm not there yet.Console6a.jpg

3. Thanks turbomacncheese thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    Here's my assembly of the Al console and FFR shifter with stock cables. There's not much clearance around it, so fitting a boot might be tight (I'm leaving it open as shown). That small clearance means that the shifter + console location fore/aft has to be considered. For my reach, seat position, etc. it came together pretty well and I think it will mate with the dash position well- though I'm not there yet.Console6a.jpg
    That looks awesome! I am not sure if I will be able to do that or not, as I have already mounted my shifter. Could you tell me how far the opening is from a front or rear reference point? I may have shot myself in the foot by mounting it before I explored this. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's not really what you are asking but the best looking install I saw was someone who adapted the Subaru center console to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    I know it's not really what you are asking but the best looking install I saw was someone who adapted the Subaru center console to fit.
    Possibly my car? I know there has been a few others too...

Last edited by axelthrasher; 11-08-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I tried to do this and was greeted with a big old bucket of FAIL. Seemed like the rear of the console kept interfering with the ebrake cables and I couldn't figure out how to mount it without it wobbling all over the place. I really wanted the console and cup holders, but I figured I'd have to make my own.