Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nitto NT05 Tires: What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Nitto NT05 Tires: What do you guys think?

Hey everyone, looking into what tires to select and I really like the Nitto NT05s. I plan on mostly summer driving with a couple weekends at the track.

Do those that have experience with these have an opinion regarding wet conditions? Are they too much this that you have to pull over and can’t even drive when wet, or they are still comfortable as long as it’s not standing water?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them on my 930 street/track car. Solid tire, very consistent throughout the day and doesn't all off like the R888's apparently do. Rain is fine if you get caught in a down poor or happen to be on a wet road. I haven't had any issues with them so far.

Assuming this is a FFR Roadster you are talking about, double check with your local track group about the broom stick test for convertibles. With my helmet on I don't pass the SCCA test for track night in america events.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip on the broomstick test. I can make sure the hoop is high enough for me. I can’t imag that is too big of an issue sine basically that is what this car is for...haha.

Anyone else any opinions on the NT05s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on some autocross experience with the Nitto NT05, I chose the Nitto NT01 for the Cobra. I recommend you consider them.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    On second thought, if you want to go to an 18in. tire, strongly recommend Goodrich Rivals.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    I run Nitto NT-01. They are absolutely not a wet tire and in fact the sidewalls are stamped "recommended for competition use only" In the Nitto family their 555-G2 is the more wet and cool friendly tire with the NT-05 falling between the two; if you get caught in the rain you can proceed with caution (which is actually the case with these cars in the rain no matter what tire is being used!)

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonJon24 View Post
    Hey everyone, looking into what tires to select and I really like the Nitto NT05s. I plan on mostly summer driving with a couple weekends at the track.

Do those that have experience with these have an opinion regarding wet conditions? Are they too much this that you have to pull over and can’t even drive when wet, or they are still comfortable as long as it’s not standing water?

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry, read it incorrectly/too fast. I thought said NT01's, not NT05's. I have the NT01's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on some of the NITTO's. Some magazine article tests show the NITTO 555R to have the best pure traction of all those tested. I run a set on all 4, they are drag radials but have performed well in Auto-X & as DD tires. Have about 10K miles on them & the 315 rears are getting do for a change.

Tire Testing after a tune

Have been caught in the rain locally & on the interstate. They are NOT wet weather tires but stable as long as you drive like its lite snow on the ground. Alow more braking distance, no sudden steering inputs & smooth clutch engagement. If it look anything like rain leave the car in the garage.

The 555R have a treadwear number of 100. The newer 555-G2 is a more streetable 320. Less pure dry traction & more street friendly bad weather capability. Side note the 555R puts you in to the XP class, used to be pro class. The 555-G2 puts you in the normal Auto-X class system IIRC.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    ...Side note the 555R puts you in to the XP class, used to be pro class. The 555-G2 puts you in the normal Auto-X class system IIRC.
    Actually, as an FYI per SCCA rules the Factory Five Roadster runs in XP (X Prepared) no matter what tire is mounted; street tires, slicks, even on snow tires! Can also run in a supplemental BP (B Prepared) class or E Modified, again with no tire restriction. We can run CAM-S using tires with a treadwear rating greater than 200 however the car must meet the minimum weight of 2,450 pounds which means that even the porkiest of FF roadsters would have to add weight to be legal (mine scales 2,180 full of gas).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Must be a club thing then. Signed up for BP. At the first event I attended they reassigned me into XP. Had to remove the BP & blue tape an NXP on the car. They said it was the 100 treadware tires. Did not matter to me what class it was as long as I could run. Was my first get a feel for the handling test.

Don't attend enough to be in the points chase.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-12-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15