Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor Engine Teardown

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't come around here much these days and am working away at my project, but since I saw my post from last year got revived I figured I'd update a bit.

I ended up finishing out that parts car for a total invested of -$50 (yes, negative $50), and that included me keeping the Edelbrock Performer heads, block, and rotating assembly. The heads I plan on using but the block and rotating assembly probably not. Either way, I've essentially gotten $1500 worth of heads for free out of that one so that's pretty good.

I then bought another parts car, a '95 Mustang with a T-5. I mainly bought that because of the 3.73 rear in it, which I'm going to go through anyway. However if the 302 in it a good block once I tear into it (planning to do that this weekend) I may use that as a base motor. Plan has gone to a 331 stroker and then upgrade the T-5. Keep things light weight and more responsive/free revving vs. a 351/TKO. So far I'm doing well on that parts car and it's tracking towards being "free" like the first one was, with me keeping the parts I want for my build. Ideally I'd like to do the straight cut gears that G-Force used to offer, but from what I've seen they stopped selling those. Their current gear set is still a pretty aggressive low angle helix for 1-4 though.

The primary thing I've found on this second donor engine is that the flywheel was on loose. Like literally grab it and wiggle it back and forth loose. All I care about is the block and we'll see if that's any good or not.

Hope is to have first start sometime over the summer although I think that fall or winter is more likely as I continue to push forward on the car as a whole.
    Last edited by FlyingCobra; 05-15-2019 at 11:42 AM.