FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Checking into this asylum

Post Thanks / Like

Checking into this asylum

Allow me to introduce myself to this forum, I've been an aircraft mechanic for the past 40 some years,
    fell in love with the FFR products way back when, so much so that I've talked to anybody I know about some day owning one, well that day was last Wednesday 8/2 when a forum member placed his beautifully built 818S for sale in New York a 2:45 pm, that night I registered to the forum trying to get in contact with him, on Thursday morning I found out that all new comers are placed in quarantine until clear by the administrator, contacted him and asked to have my introduction expedited so that a deal could be reached,he did. Thanks David. By mid day Thursday contacted the seller via pm on the forum, in my rush to do so I failed big time by omitting the last number of my phone.
    Home at 5pm checked the forum and found a message with seller's phone, called him right away and the deal was made. Friday at 5pm left Indy for New Yor and at 4 pm Saturday it was on the trailer heading back home and safely in my garage Sunday at 4 pm.
    Let it be known that I have never seen an 818 in my life, not just this one, any 818, but I have always known that the 818S was what I wanted since its introduction.
    Today got my temporary plate and out for a drive in a non controlled airport....what a blast.
    I restored a 65 conv mustang 18 years ago and logged 68K miles traveling to MCA shows for 10 years and I still enjoy, also a restored 74 VW Thing that will do 60 mph eventually. My everyday ride is a Smartcar Brabus with an IHI turbo that pushes 98 HP at the wheels up from 56 in a .998L 3 cyl.engine....yeah I know...that's why I'm checking into this asylum...
    Well there you have it, that's how I came into the FFR experience.
    Do have a lot of questions and hope I can get answers.

Jetfuel

PS: please excuse orthographic errors....English is my second language

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Great place with lots of helpful folks. Post up some pics of your car when you can.

What sort of aircraft do you work on? Couple other aircraft mechanics and pilots on here including me. Seems like a lot of common interest in these between aviation and cars.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum! Where are you in Indy? i am on the northeast side and would be interested in checking out your new ride sometime.

John
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Like my friend John in the previous reply I'm an Indiana guy also, although it;s roadsters for both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
    My everyday ride is a Smartcar Brabus with an IHI turbo that pushes 98 HP at the wheels up from 56 in a .998L 3 cyl.engine....yeah I know...that's why I'm checking into this asylum...
    You're in good company with the hot rodded Smart car---Bob Bondurant has one also and a few years ago told the story about being stopped for speeding when he took his out to see what it would do. He said the police officer told him that he clocked him at 98MPH or thereabouts. Bob replied "Really! That's fantastic!"

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome, I figured there will by some Indy folks as well as pilots and aviation mechanics in here.
    I'm in the west side by Eagle Creek and work at the Creek airport were we maintain Embraer Phenom 100 and 300, Cessna Citations but I take care of the Twin Commander jetprop series since my expertise is on the Garrett 331 engines, don't care what airframe is mounted on.

Jetfuel

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! You can check out any time you like but you can never leave. Roger