Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 97 cobra engine won’t start?

Post Thanks / Like

97 cobra engine won’t start?

I have a 97 cobra engine in my car. I have go carted with success. I had the car idling this morning and the engine stopped. When I try to start it the engine turns over but doesn’t seem to fire. I don’t know much about engines. Any suggestions on what the cause might be or a fix?

Post Thanks / Like
    tell us more.
    Carb or EFI? Vendor?

Have you checked for spark? Fuel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Used 97 cobra engine fuel infected. Just put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank as it was dry. Have not checked for spark. Sorry to say but how would I do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just realized that when I turn the car I don’t here the fuel pump kick on. Can that be a fuse or possible need a new fuel pump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check fuse first.
    I think you found it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuse is good but replaced it anyway. Still the fuel pump does not come on when key is turned. I think I need a new fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    can you check wiring at the pump? Ie, is there voltage at the pump? Check with a multi meter or a 12v DC light. Easy to do and it eliminates the possibility of a break in the wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a meter but never used it. I have the pump out and none of the wires are broken. Although the pump does look very old. Very would I put the DC light to check?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    I have a meter but never used it. I have the pump out and none of the wires are broken. Although the pump does look very old. Very would I put the DC light to check?
    Is there any connections that you could test to? You would need to put the black wire of the multimeter to ground (chassis) and red to power to the pump. Select 12vdc range or 24vdc range on the meter if possible. At least get it onto DC volts.

You might be able to poke the pointy end of the meter leads thru the wire insulation.

Either way, you need a bare connection (positive side) and ground (negative side) for a light or meter to connect to. To check the meter you can try it on the battery first to get an idea how it works and what to look for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Will give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for your information, in tank fuel pumps do not like running low or dry. My guess, the pump bit the dirt. Good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks railroad I’m going to order a new pump anyway and will not let it run dry. When looking for new pump I see there are different flow rates for the pumps. Does it make sense to spend a few extra bucks and purchase one with a higher flow rate?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you plan on upping your hp, now is the time to up grade. If you are good where you are, go back with the same.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not planning on it but you never know. I’m assuming if I get a higher flow there is nothing I need to do but install it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Put in a new fuel pump yesterday and still doesn’t start. Engine turns over, I tested the connection at the tank with a light tester and it lights up. I also tested the other end that clips into the Ron Francis harness and that gets power as well. I also put in a new fuse just in case. Any ideas what to try next?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does the pump turn on now with key? Do you have an inertia switch? The inertia switch opens the fuel pump circuit if you hit a bad bump or get in a wreck. They typically have a red button to push.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same engine but a ‘98. Can you hear the new pump kick in when you turn the ignition on? If so, be sure it is not reversed. It will sound the same but not pump. Ask me how I know? If it is the same as mine it has a black power wire and a red ground which initially through me off.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would look for an inertia switch that 65 cobra dude brought up.... most are mounted on top of the frame under the steering wheel. If the wiring used the Ron Frances wiring kit and it was wired correctly, you should pull the fuel pump relay and test the relay.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I checked the inertia switch and that is not it. When I turn the car on i do not here the fuel pump come on. That is why I assumed it was a bad fuel pump. Joecobra, are you saying i need to hook up the black wire from the fuel pump to the red wire of the fuel pump hanger?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Ron Francis harness. I unplugged the harness at the front end and tested it with a light that lights up if there is power and that worked. Is that the relay you are talking about? One other thing. I tested the wire on the right side of the tank and there is power. Should there be power on the left as well. On mine it is a grey plug that goes into the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So you have power at the fuel pump but it’s still not running? I would then check the ground. You can do that by pulling the plug off the fuel pump and using your probe by putting the ground clip from the probe on one pin and the pointy end on the other pin.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a new fuel pump. Try running it directly from the battery. If you can, try pumping out of the tank into a bottle and this will tell you if you have the pump direction correct. If it runs but doesn’t pump reverse the wires. As I said my Airtex pump has a black power wire and a red ground. If this all works then you have to check that you have power on your fuel power feed and a good ground. I have the Ron Francis harness as well. One weakness of this system is the number of grounds. I added several more, including one for the fuel tank.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the Russ Francis harness the grey plug is for the sender the red plug is for the fuel pump.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    The plug to the fuel pump should have a tan wire(hot) and a black wire(ground). Pull the plug off the pump. With the key on the on position, put your multimeter on dc and test the tan wire at the plug to the positive on the meter and ground the black multimeter test wire. It should have 12 to 13 volts. If no power the problem is elsewhere. If you have power, put multimeter on Resistance and check black wire on the fuel pump wire plug to another ground on the car. It should show resistance. If both are good, the problem is a connection to the pump or the pump.

If you can add pictures of your connections it will help us help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    My issue was a relayin the fuse panel. I wanted to say thank you all for the suggestions in helping me get it figured out. Also a shout out to ken Wilkinson who was more than helpful by walking me through the problem via phone and teaching me a little about electrical while at it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. Frustrating at first but satisfying when you finally hear that engine start.