FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New "Builder" in town

Post Thanks / Like

New "Builder" in town

Went to my local Cars & Coffee gathering this morning here in Las Vegas Nv., saw two Roadsters from a new "builder" in the western states area: Ornata Motors.

To the Mods; I have no affiliation with these people, nor do I endorse anything they are doing. Just passing along some info to this group.

This group of people are buying F5 kits, both basic and complete, and assembling them to your specifications with whatever engine/trans/brake/suspension package you might desire. They are located in Farmington and Park City Utah.

The badging on the car(s) reflect an "aviation" theme. As a manufacturer, they are restricted to 325 cars a year

Here's the website if you are looking to have a F5 car built for you; https://www.ornatamotors.com/

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    $120K....Interesting target market....
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm, interesting that they refer to themselves as a manufacturer, their photos are from FFR's website (even one with Dave Smith in the seat) but nowhere do they make mention of Factory Five or even having an affiliation.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking at there website makes me think something smells more than a bit.
    Showing pics from F-5 cars without mentioning them flat out stinks to high heaven.
    Showing cars not even built by them takes the cake for being less than above board.
    Sorry New Builder But Your Lack Of Candor, Not Even Mentioning Factory Five, Is Not Acceptable!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-11-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could not legally be registered in California under SB100. This means that they would have to meet current year smog requirements, and possibly be required to meet all other current "safety" standards required in a 2018 model, good luck with that. SB100 is specifically for owner-builders only, no resale. (unless it is sold as a used car, but then it would need to already be registered!)
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Hmmmm, interesting that they refer to themselves as a manufacturer, their photos are from FFR's website (even one with Dave Smith in the seat) but nowhere do they make mention of Factory Five or even having an affiliation.

Jeff
    On the bright side Kleiner, looks like we can raise our prices substantially.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    On the bright side Kleiner, looks like we can raise our prices substantially.
    We do think alike 'cause that was EXACTLY my first thought also! Really, selling at 200% of cost ain't a bad gig...if you can do it...

Like I've said before; I'm thinking about doubling my prices---sure, I'll lose half my customers but in the end I'll still make the same money and have a lot more free time!

Jeff

8. Thanks ckrueger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere on their website, they mention that they buy from one of Americas top manufacturers (No mention of who that is) but with the pictures provided and the shot of Dave Smith - and after seeing the car up-close-n-personal, it's a F5 thru an thru. All these folks are doing is "assembling" the kit for the cash . . . a bit too pricey for my taste. Having seen the finished product up close, I'd rather send my money to Frank or Jeff . . .

You guys (Frank, Jeff) are too funny, double your price but lose half your customers . . . I've seen what you two can produce and agree, raise your prices but don't lose the customers.
    Happy building guys,

Doc
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    They won't last long. Once folks figure out it a FFR car they will not be happy when they find out they can get twice the car for 1/2 the price from others. Would be nice if they actually posted pics of cars they built instead of pulling them off FFR's website.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

11. Likes Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One of the interior pictures of the “Spitfire” shows a closeup of the speedo. Clearly marked “Factory Five Racing”.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm no legal genius (I don't even play one on TV!) but wouldn't (shouldn't) FFR's photos be copyrighted? It really does seem less than honest and ethical for these guys to advertise their cars as their own creation and not at least give credit where it is due: To FFR! At a bare minimum, these guys should come clean on their website and develop an honest relationship with FFR. I have no problem with other businesses springing up around the FFR mothership. It is beneficial for all, actually builds the FFR brand, and is provides the FFR community with helpful services, products and ideas. But these ancillary companies make it quite clear they are not FFR, but have a friendly working relationship with FFR.

Perhaps I should buy Apple computers, put a new logo sticker on over the apple logo, then resell the computers at a 50% markup under my own company name. Somehow I don't think that Apple's lawyers would see the humor in that business model.

Ok, full disclosure, I had FFR's photo of the 20th Anniversary Roadster as my wallpaper on my computer for months!! It still comes up occassionally as my screensaver. I never got their permission in writing. I hope they don't mind!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave may be cool with this because, well, he'll sell them kits.....Now, the two biggest reasons not to mention F5R is A. (Gordon was dead on ) it's tough to turn a hobby into a thriving biz....and C. Ornata talks about their version of a "COBRA" ….that's a big taboo....I wish them the best of luck ...A rising tide lifts all boats...jus my 2 centavos...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it amusing that the main picture on their 'customers' page has Dave sat at the wheel. If you didn't know better, you'd think Dave was the customer. Hmm ... maybe we've all been duped all this time. Although he's apparently going incognito as 'Ron Hales'. Please ... someone call F5 and ask to speak to Ron!

Could this be F5's 'retail' outlet for fully built cars?
    Last edited by Paparazzi; 08-13-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that it is pretty dubious not mentioning FFR and claiming to be a "manufacturer" when they are an assembler. But what I really find hard to swallow is using pictures right off of the FFR web site. They are showcasing cars that they didn't even build and advertising them as if they did. If they think there is anything OK about running a business this way, it is scary. "Ornata promises and delivers something no one else can...." Really????

I can only imagine a cease and desist letter will be forthcoming.

However, it is nice that they are showing that customer (that looks like Dave Smith) how to use the shifter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Would be nice if they actually posted pics of cars they built instead of pulling them off FFR's website.
    Agreed! Take a look at any of our (Factory Five's Preferred builders) sites and we don't have pictures of Factory Five demo cars or cars that they have built posted from their web pages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I couldn't agree more. They are misrepresenting quite a few things on their site. They are not a "Manufacturer", they assemble kits from a well known supplier. None of the shots of cars represent anything they built. The only shot of their stuff is the side badges and the gauges (albeit, very close up shots so you can't determine what they are assembled on). They show a "customer" (named Ron) but show only the back of his head and Dave Smith in the drivers seat - making people believe he(Dave) is the customer. I believe the guy in the PS is one of their people . . . There are no pictures of the engine packages they promote, no mention of what the suspension is or anything about the cars "out-of-the-ordinary" features. They state they are producing a completed car in just two weeks.

I was not impressed when looking the car over last Saturday.

Doc

It's all very misleading