FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5 lug conversion

Post Thanks / Like

5 lug conversion

Since I am throwing money at my ol' Mk1, (Speedhut gauges, Alex's glove box, USB and cigarette lighter ports etc and rear coilovers) I am now thinking of a 5 lug conversion.
    I saw this at LMR. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4234K/1987-...Conversion-Kit
    Anyone have any experience with this? Would it work with the FFR 15" wheels?
    Seems the most expensive part would be the FFR 15 inch wheels and I would definitely want to use the FFR 15 inch wheels.
    I know the FFR front spindles are preferred and recommended but the price of the LMR conversion is hard to beat.
    Heck, the price of the FFR front spindles is more than the 5 lug conversion kit.
    I am not looking to put disc brakes in the rear. The car stops more than fine with the current setup.

Thoughts?
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the left axles from '84 Ford Rangers along with the drums for the rear end and Lincoln rotors for the front.

Ray

PS: https://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/brakes.html
    Last edited by Ray; 08-11-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I used these axles https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700122 , drums from a Ranger and Lincoln Front rotors, I think 1984. Should add up to be less than $300.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the conversion kit from LMR about 4 years ago and every thing worked great, only i have the 17 inch wheels.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the input and also the links! Much appreciated!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.