Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thermostat Switch Control Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thermostat Switch Control Question

Guys

I'm wiring my 2015 Gen2 Coyote using the ford controls pack and the supplied Ron Francis wiring harness too. The Chassis Wiring manual talks about a thermostat switch to be installed somewhere on the engine, or in the radiator.

Couple of questions:

1. Is this applicable to the Coyote engine setup ? I already have the orange fan wire from the controls pack connected to my fan. I'm assuming that the engine and controls pack are communicating engine temp somehow ?

2. The Coyote fitment instructions shows installing a temperature sensor on the block then I'm assuming that's just for the dash gauges ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
    mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Nope, not applicable. You don't need the kit supplied thermostat switch or the RF fan circuit for that matter. The Coyote system completely manages the engine temp and cooling fan with the direct hook-up as you described. You can however use the RF fan circuit for something else. It's a nice relay enabled relatively high amp circuit.

2. You're correct. That temp sensor only feeds the water temp gauge.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post

Couple of questions:

2. The Coyote fitment instructions shows installing a temperature sensor on the block then I'm assuming that's just for the dash gauges ?
    Be aware, the dash gauge is a relative value at best. If you're following the FFR instructions and locating the sensor down at the bottom of the block you are measuring coolant temperature the farthest away from the cylinder heads and on the return side of the radiator. If you want more accurate readings in addition to the dash gauge, use a tuner OBD tool plugged into the OBD port. My gauge normally says 80ish C, while the scan tool output from the computer is 194F.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,