FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hello from Rogersville Missouri

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Rogersville Missouri

Would really love to build a MK4, however the choices and options seem overwhelming. So many engine, transmission, brake options having a hard time narrowing down my choices. I do like good handling, speed and reliability so probably nothing too radical. Love the great looks of the Mk4. Used to race oval track stock cars many years ago and have that out of my system, so no racing in my future. Love building, with a constuction backgroud, have helped on several airplanes and built my own plane that I'm flying now. Leaning towards the coyote engine/trans package offered by ffr because it seems simple and easy, that said I really don't know about other comparable packages. I don't have the skill set to build/ overhaul a motor but the rest seems doable for me. any advice on how to narrow down the choices would be greatly appreciated, and would love to visit with and take a look at other folks projects in my general vicinity. Thanks everyone. George W (no not that one).

2. Thanks limoguy thanked for this post
    Likes limoguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be interesting, watching the replies to this post George W...(sounds like you have the skills to get the job done right....) My goal is to build an MK4, so the build class is on the horizon....Like you, the combinations are almost limitless....can't wait to hear an experienced builders' thoughts on the right package for your needs....

Post Thanks / Like
    The choice In power trains is up to you. SBF 302 or 351, bored/stroked and modular engines are the norm. Not as many BBF but then Its what ever you want the experience to be. I've been touting the Coyote since 2012. Here's another sales pitch. The Coyote makes smooth dependable modern horsepower. The all aluminum engine has 6 bolt main bearings and the bottom end is super strong. Double over head cams and 4 valves per cylinder. Variable valve timing and soon to be released dual-flow fuel system. Easily 500HP with a slight tune. The power is easy to manage. Quite tame at lower RPM but above 3,500, it starts to take off and will build power until the rev limiter shuts you down. Its computer controlled and runs like a top. Fuel efficient and relatively quiet. Its easy to install and easy to mate the wiring systems. It may not have the impressive looks of an big polished up dual quad FE, but the performance and reliability is hard to pass on.
    As for transmissions, a 5 speed Tremec is the norm. The TKO 600 will take all the power and run all day - reliable. It physically fits the real estate. You can squeeze a 6 speed in depending on the rear end you decide to use. IMO, the one extra OD gear is a pain. Usually, I'm searching for 0.64 OD coming out of 4th (highway only).
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 08-13-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    This is John T. Sent you private message. I'm building in Springfield, Mo.

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome to the forum. Im in springfield as well. We will be hitting it hard starting on the 22nd to get the cannonball coupe back into shape and also complete a project coupe. You are welcome to swing by and have a look, we'll try to answer as many questions that we can. Hopefully you can get some seat time in the coupe as well.
    I pm'd you my contact info. just let me know.
    Mike M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys been reading everything till my eyes bleed. Getting closer to pulling the trigger still leaning toward the Coyote package from FFr. Got to do it before the end of the month to take advantage of the sale. Will be in touch with the local guys, very gracious with the offers to talk and see their cars. Thanks again George W.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    For handling, reliability, and speed, it sounds like the standard Coyote/TKO or T56/IRS would be your best bet. My budget didn't run to the T56 and IRS, but I'm confident I'll get most of the benefits with my TKO600 and 3-link.

Power steering is often recommended for cruising and autocross. Power brakes seem more divided in opinion. If you're going with the big Wilwoods, people seem to think power isn't needed.

As many opinions on these items as there are posters on the forum. Have fun!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey George W, where are you at on your kit purchase? I'm going to be moving to the area in the next year or so and look forward to following the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys I did go with the coyote tko 600 combination. I'm so pumped my completion date was 9-15 and Jolene at Stewart said the kit will be picked up the week of 9-17, guess I will find out more next week. Options ordered with the were IRS , 17 inch wheels , uncut dash , modern gauges, sway bars, powder coating, heater etc.
    Getting the shop ready, going to build the body buck next week.
    What type of shop products out side of the normal cleaners etc would be helpful?