Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Curry's 818C Build

Post Thanks / Like

Curry's 818C Build

So I decided to start the thread now so I can plan out my build and source my donor. Figured it would be a good way to get some feedback as well.

I'm pretty familiar with the subaru platform and I have been working on them for the last few years. I have a 2002 wrx (stage 2 tuned) that my wife and I daily in addition to our 2017 4runner. I have been doing most of my own auto work for the last 10 years or so. So all the basic stuff plus turbo installs, a little tuning and I've ventured into learning some body stuff as well. Fairly good with wiring.

In my 84 Cressida I rewired the cluster and installed a digital cluster as opposed to the standard display. Stripped a Lexus SC300 down to the bare metal and wiring and rebuilt the car from the ground up, brand new everything. I even stripped off the old worn leather from the seats and installed new leather I had custom made for the car. Also installed a turbo setup and tuned the car. Made 310 to the wheels.

As of right now I don't have an exact timeline on when I want the car finished. I'll probably determine this once the frame is here and I start work.

I'm busy trying to find myself a donor so I've been searching the NASIOC forums, craigslist and all the other usual channels.

Has anyone actually ever went and got the parts individually? I can see this being maybe just a little more expensive but then I also imagine the amount of time saved as well as space and not having to deal with the shell... etc...

As far as the build goes I'm trying to stick mostly to the manual. I'm about 5'7" so I should be good with the factory seats. I'm sticking with the regular turbo motor, nothing fancy, not yet anyway. Since i'm in New York I've gotta retain all the emissions crap. The harness I plan to clean up on my own.

My goal for the car is to be able to drive it whenever the mood strikes me. My daily commute is about 2 miles so i might even do that for a bit. I do realize there is no heat no AC and all that and i've come to grips its not the most elegant as far as comfort. But im still up for the challenge.

Specs/Plans for the 818C Build:

Motor: Stock motor from a 2002 WRX. Will upgrade the motor to Stage 2 to meet power goals of 250ish HP

I will be rebuilding a secondary motor on the side with fresh internals, seals etc which ill swap in after the car is registered and driven for a little while.

Exhaust: Will be keeping the cat and going dual mufflers (NYS inspection process will require the cat)

Wheels: FFR Gun Metal Wheels

Infotainment: Samsung tablet with Tasker, Two door speakers, amp and line out converter. I might also try incorporating the stock subaru under-seat sub into the system somehow.

Body: Will either dip or wrap the car and decide on a final paint job when I find a color I like

Seats: I plan to go with Braum racing seats that are adjustable and have the diamond stitch pattern
    Last edited by CurryX; 01-20-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, glad to see another builder here on the forum. There have been several builds done without a donor car, the biggest hurdle there is getting the axles right.
    Another way is to get a donor pallet with all the parts already broken down and palletized. I'm pretty sure that Wayne Presley from Very cool parts ( a forum vendor) still sells them.
    You'll find that people here on this forum are knowledgeable and will be more than happy to help you and spend your money. Lol

3. Thanks CurryX thanked for this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the axles. I'm slowly building (818C) - no donor. Engine and suspension came from JDM out of Cincinnati, although I deviated big time from the suspension... (2009 Legacy). Ebay parts like crazy, watching for deals - really can get things at low cost. A couple things there were no good, vendors credited me back. Several trips to local LKQ Pick your part yards - for me that is fun every time I go. Swapped and begged parts from some friends and some from guys here on the forum. I'm really happy I went this route - almost nothing with rust to deal with, for example.

However you go about it - have fun along the way. This will turn out to be one special project for you. If you can find the time, dig through the threads here - tons of tips, tricks and ideas.

5. Thanks CurryX thanked for this post
    Likes CurryX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the axles. I'm slowly building (818C) - no donor. Engine and suspension came from JDM out of Cincinnati, although I deviated big time from the suspension... (2009 Legacy). Ebay parts like crazy, watching for deals - really can get things at low cost. A couple things there were no good, vendors credited me back. Several trips to local LKQ Pick your part yards - for me that is fun every time I go. Swapped and begged parts from some friends and some from guys here on the forum. I'm really happy I went this route - almost nothing with rust to deal with, for example.

However you go about it - have fun along the way. This will turn out to be one special project for you. If you can find the time, dig through the threads here - tons of tips, tricks and ideas.
    Welcome, glad to see another builder here on the forum. There have been several builds done without a donor car, the biggest hurdle there is getting the axles right.
    Another way is to get a donor pallet with all the parts already broken down and palletized. I'm pretty sure that Wayne Presley from Very cool parts ( a forum vendor) still sells them.
    You'll find that people here on this forum are knowledgeable and will be more than happy to help you and spend your money. Lol
    Thanks for the advice. I have been reading through build threads and the manual every chance I get. Perhaps I missed the part about the axles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Heat and AC are possible. AZPete has a good writeup on it. Sounds like you have all the skills you need to do this, and then some. Best of luck to you!

8. Thanks CurryX thanked for this post
    Likes CurryX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Axles can be a problem when for the most part aftermarket axles are used. Getting the various cv parts to work with the supplied FFR axle shafts can be a challenge. I personally had to go Thru I think was 4 different sets of axles (I'm trying block out this part of the build) to make the two that I ended up with. Lol. This was before I realized that FFR offers complete axles as an option. Live and learn. By the way I'm doing a non donor build.

10. Likes CurryX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Axles can be a problem when for the most part aftermarket axles are used. Getting the various cv parts to work with the supplied FFR axle shafts can be a challenge. I personally had to go Thru I think was 4 different sets of axles (I'm trying block out this part of the build) to make the two that I ended up with. Lol. This was before I realized that FFR offers complete axles as an option. Live and learn. By the way I'm doing a non donor build.
    Ahhh I just saw that as an option when you are placing the order. So I think I will just do that to simplify things and make things go more smoothly. I'm currently noting down parts in a spreadsheet and what Im expecting to pay. So far with everything i'm looking at around a little under 2k. (Not including motor/trans) This I will shop around for.

To me this is reasonable, especially since ill have cleaner parts than if I got a local donor (NY RUST!) and no time needed to pull parts. The total may change if I get better deals on parts. This is just going by the pricing I saw on forums and ebay. Although I have the space in my driveway if I can get away with not having a shell parked up its a win. Especially since I have some improvements planned for the backyard next year.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Heat and AC are possible. AZPete has a good writeup on it. Sounds like you have all the skills you need to do this, and then some. Best of luck to you!
    Thats good to know, I hadn't really planned on it but I will explore that as an option, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a small update on my parts status. I weighed my options as far as buying individual parts Vs. getting a parts car and I ended up finding an 04' wagon with lots of aftermarket parts including upgraded turbo, fuel rails, injectors, rotors, kartboy short shifter, up and down pipes, 3 inch exhaust and accessport. The motor/trans has about 175k and the title is clean.

I figure I would pull the trigger. I asked if he would include all the stock parts and he agreed. He also says be has a new timing belt and water pump that needs to be installed. Worst case I get a few hundred or thousand miles out of the motor and I'll swap a low miles jdm motor in there and keep the show moving. not a big deal.

judging by what the car has i can recoup much of the costs and end up with a "free" if not cheap donor.

The extra stuff will also come in handy to repair a few things on my wife's WRX.
    Last edited by CurryX; 08-23-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The donor car I went to look at ended up getting sold the night before. Ended up finding one the following morning, paid and took it home. Interior was pristine, owned by an older lady. And bonus STI cluster.

IMG-20180824-WA0015

IMG_20180824_192725280

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I haven't really done anything since getting my donor. My brother just recently bought his house so once he's done moving his work tools and equipment out of the garage I'll be able to get started on moving the donor into the garage and stripping it down.

I do have a few things I want to do before starting the tear down. Clear up a section of shelving for storing parts, put up some peg board for tools and install a large compressor. Once the tear down is complete I wanted to epoxy the garage floor when I order the 818.