BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Supercharge coyote coolant overflow idea...

Post Thanks / Like

Supercharge coyote coolant overflow idea...

While trying to find a place to mount my coolant overflow tank I’m the quickly vanishing real estate in the 33 hit rod, i thought of something. But I wanted to run by more experienced folks than me.

Overview. Coyote with 6R80. Going to be installing a whipple 2.9L blower after I get it running. The blower has a separate coolant filled system that circulates from a reservoir, through a air to coolant low temp radiator (called LTR) the through an intercooler under the blower. I will be mounting the reservoir, pump and LTR with its fans under the back of the car. Not sure if exact placement yet, but probably right in front of the rear axle against back wall for one and behind it against vertical trunk floor for other. This system normally runs under a slight pressure, but not near the cooling system as temps are much lower generally.

What if I ran the radiator overflow to the return line to the intercooler reservoir? Could this work? Would I have to account for pressure in blower coolant system and lower the radiator cap pressure accordingly? Could I vent the blower coolant system to atmosphere and then the pressure difference wouldn’t matter? Would the coolant contraction (vacuum breaking) be affected coming off the slightly pressurized return line instead of a catch can? Or if using that return line wouldn’t work, what about going to the reservoir itself?

Am I overthinking it? Should I not even bother and go with what’s known to work?

Thanks guys.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like that would work as long PSI is lower in LTR, and you are using the same coolant in both.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept them seperate systems, mounted the LTR to the radiator upfront and extended the radaitor mount bracket by about an inch. Everyone suggests I go with a larger reservoir to so more water is circulated. I mounted a small reservior in front of the motor, kind of similar to the blown hot rod factory five built a few years back. I am attempting all this in hopes to keep a trunk area for storage, and be able to still have rear exit exhaust. I have not done first start so not sure how this set up is going to work. Another headache is figuring out where to mount the alternator... Like you mentioned realstate on the 33 is very very limited, Pictures always look like there is enough room for things but in real life its tight. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours, becuase if my setup fails I will be stealing some of your ideas. IMG_0876.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    Off subject, but love those MMR valve covers. Tried to use them in my MK-IV but ran out of real estate.
    Hope you post more photos as you progress.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate all the plastic on the coyotes. eventually that hiddious cold air intake has to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    With my twin turbos to get enough cooling ( air to water ) i am putting both 36X12 two fan heat exchanger and AC condenser in trunk . Water pump for each side for coolers and turbos and wastegates.
    Good thing i went with the ford alternator (150 amp). Engine and cooler water are separate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kept mine separate. I see no advantage to connecting the two systems in any way. If the engine runs hot enough to open the port and expel hot coolant, it will go directly into the blower system. Also, if you get oil into the engine coolant system, it will also end up in the blower. There's no advantages, and some risks. So, why would you do it?
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    I hate all the plastic on the coyotes. eventually that hiddious cold air intake has to go!
    The stock Coyote is like a pig with lipstick. Now, your set up is simply....FANTASTIC!!
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, nice to find some other supercharger nuts on here.

I just started posting some build details below.

I am not using an LTR at all, running my IC coolant through an A/C powered heat exchanger - modified "killerchiller" (problems with plumbing design).

I removed my thermostat housing and put alternator there. Needs a couple of extra radiator hoses but all fits nicely.

That heat exchanger is small enough to fit in the engine bay too, down low best to keep heat off it.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...710#post353710