BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front fender bracing

Post Thanks / Like

Front fender bracing

I have the full fenders for my car, already painted to match and were on the car when I bought it, I removed them as I like the fender less look as much as with fenders. The second reason for their removal was reading about issues of cracking and the need for bracing. My question is do the fenders them selves need bracing or is it the interface between the fenders and the engine side covers ? I can see where the side covers would flex and allow the fenders to "bounce" around. It looks like I could add bracing to tie the fenders ( at the side cover joint ) and the side covers to the frame down tubes with a couple of basic tube clamps and an angled bracket. Would this bracing work or is it the width of the fenders themselves that is the issue ? Do they need some stiffeners built in to their width to control flexing ?
    Next issue will be bracing the side / floor boards, last thing I want is someone to step on them ! Any ideas that don't kill the ground clearance ? I would like to keep them as a bolt on so they can be removed when the fenders etc. come off.
    Again thanks for any help.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, i think both need bracing,. What i did is in (toms 33 build thread) post 81 and 204, 205

Post Thanks / Like
    how did you tie in the supports for the running boards to the frame ?

Post Thanks / Like
    for fender bracing check out my #115 post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of you for the photos, it looks like all the bracing is done to secure the fender / side cover interface, is there no concern about the fender itself flapping ? I thought there was a concern with the fender cracking and thought I remembered seeing pics that made me think that both the mounting interface and the fender itself (along it's width) also needed some bracing / support to eliminate the fender movement. I seem to remember talk about bonding in a stiffener to the underside of the fenders. Is that not needed ? I have the bracing fabricated that ties the fender / side cover to the frame, if that's all that is needed I am close to reattaching the fenders. The fenders were on the car but I removed them to prevent damaging them until I got the bracing made.
    I appreciate the help guys !

Post Thanks / Like
    Some have added support ribs inside the fenders, and I think that's good insurance against the fenders flapping in the breeze. I plan to do so, but that's some months in the future. Unfortunately, all I have is a low-res thumbnail photo from the other forum to show the idea: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/attachm...&thumb=1&stc=1 You could probably find the build thread over there with a little digging...
    HTH,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    With the fender brace DPP_33_-----000115.JPGDPP_33_------000111.JPG and bracingIMG_8065.JPG for the stock headlights. Front fenders and running boards are one piece with mountsIMG_7960.JPG fenders are darn secure.