Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: lizardskin

Post Thanks / Like

lizardskin

Looking for some feedback if anybody has used the spray on lizardskin Heat Protection and/or the Sound control

I was thinking of spraying the underside of the floorboards and the inside of the firewall (probably all other tin parts as well).

Was planning on taping off the tin where it goes against the frame and spraying the rest so I still get a tight fit to the frame. not sure if I would need to spray both heat and sound coats

Any other recommendations for heat and sound barriers?

Bob

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    always use it on any outside aluminum that is near heat. First coat is sound deadener then ceramic heat coating. I use Eastwood X-Mat on the inside stuff. Check my post #45.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...33-build/page2

3. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    always use it on any outside aluminum that is near heat. First coat is sound deadener then ceramic heat coating. I use Eastwood X-Mat on the inside stuff. Check my post #45.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...33-build/page2
    You use the x-mat instead of the FFR sound and insulation kit or in addition to? thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Sprayed Lizardskin inside on all aluminum panels on my roadster. Gives the panels a little more body. I then added a heat insulated mat on top of that in the foot wells, floorboards and under the seats.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

6. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    You use the x-mat instead of the FFR sound and insulation kit or in addition to? thx
    instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sprayed both the Sound Control (SC) and Ceramic Insulation (CI) on the inside of my firewall and foot panels. On my floor pan I am spraying the SC and CI on both the top and bottom. I have not sprayed the CI on the top of the floor pan yet but will probably this weekend. I can that say tapping on the floor pan before and then after there is a big difference on the sound of the sheet metal. Just from the way it feels and sounds I think there will be a big difference.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you rough up with 40 grit any place you are applying Lizardskin. It will hold it better. Great stuff and paintable as well. I use it on the entire interior of the body as well as the AL panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Huselton View Post
    I suggest you rough up with 40 grit any place you are applying Lizardskin. It will hold it better. Great stuff and paintable as well. I use it on the entire interior of the body as well as the AL panels.

I went over all my sheet metal with green scotch bright pads before spraying. I also used some acetone on it to get off all the lettering and Sharpe marks. It appears to have a good bond to the surface and is not coming off.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for input

I have done firewall and several other parts with the Lizard skin (Heat and sound). Very impressed with product, seems like sound barrier will work good and I would expect heat barrier will alsolizard skin spray 2.JPG work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lizard Skin should only be applied to inside surface, per instruction on label as it is not road grim resent and well soften if cleaned with solvents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Lizard Skin should only be applied to inside surface, per instruction on label as it is not road grim resent and well soften if cleaned with solvents.
    Lizard Skin does offer a top coat spray that makes it water & grease repellent.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    I was unaware, I looked up instructions and only see a mention of OK for exterior. Will look into top coat JOP33 mentioned

See insert from lizardskin website FAQ

+ Can it be used as an undercoating to prevent starring?
    Yes, both LizardSkin CI and LizardSkin SC can be used on the interior or exterior of the vehicle. Example: fenders, rear wheels, firewall, transmission tunnel and floorboards. (*See what parts of the car do I apply it to*)

Anybody have it under floor boards and driving?

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on making my own, lizard skin is just too expensive and a lot of guys online make there own.
    I purchased a large bag of ceramic microspheres, enough for 2 gallons of paint. $30 from Hy-Tech insolating solutions
    I'm thinking of using a latex elastomeric paint you can get at H.D.
    I plan on brushing it on the inside, not spraying
    Ill let you know how it turns out
    I'm also using the FFR insulation kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sprayed LizardSkin on the underside and interior of aluminum panels with both SC and CI and on inside of firewall.
    Water wall SC after fitting.
    Inside of doors SC.
    Trunk SC.
    thinking of using SC on underside of fenders and rear body wheel wells.
    I live 75 miles away from the factory in Houston, Texas, have a friend that can get me the material that is almost out of date 1 month.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgardner View Post
    I was unaware, I looked up instructions and only see a mention of OK for exterior. Will look into top coat JOP33 mentioned

See insert from lizardskin website FAQ

+ Can it be used as an undercoating to prevent starring?
    Yes, both LizardSkin CI and LizardSkin SC can be used on the interior or exterior of the vehicle. Example: fenders, rear wheels, firewall, transmission tunnel and floorboards. (*See what parts of the car do I apply it to*)

Anybody have it under floor boards and driving?

See attached link https://www.summitracing.com/parts/liz-30106/overview/
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

18. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I covered the entire interior tub with Lizardskin when it was a new product. You want a fairly thick coating, like 3-5mm. But you can't do it all at once, or it will drip off of vertical surfaces. I brushed it on, because it was easier in such a small area. I went out there every night for 3-4 nights and brushed on another coat. Then I just threw away the paint brush.

Over the years it held up really well; and insulated the interior from heat. After 30 minutes on a very hot race track, the interior panels that were shaded were still cool to the touch.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done all of the aluminum panels with both the sound and ceramic insulation and even used the Top Coat on the floor pan and other exterior surfaces. Has anyone used this product on fiberglass surfaces, inside the doors, hardtop, etc.? How about the trans. tunnel?
    Last edited by HVACMAN; 11-26-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    I covered the entire interior tub with Lizardskin when it was a new product. You want a fairly thick coating, like 3-5mm. But you can't do it all at once, or it will drip off of vertical surfaces. I brushed it on, because it was easier in such a small area. I went out there every night for 3-4 nights and brushed on another coat. Then I just threw away the paint brush.

Over the years it held up really well; and insulated the interior from heat. After 30 minutes on a very hot race track, the interior panels that were shaded were still cool to the touch.
    Thanks--helpful info.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used it as an undercoating

P1010181.JPGP1010182.JPGIMG_0784.jpgP1010180.JPG
    Last edited by wrp; 12-26-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used lizard skin on all interior and external aluminum, I found that gasoline spilled in trunk will soften it. I plan to use top coat spray and see if it helps.

24. Likes wrp liked this post