Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen III Coupe IRS driveshaft loop...

Post Thanks / Like

Gen III Coupe IRS driveshaft loop...

Hey Folks,

I need to add a driveshaft loop to Gen III Coupe #17.

I'm not interested in welding or bolting to the frame cross-rails as many have done.

I did buy the Metco driveshaft loop but it does not fit:

https://metcomotorsports.com/mdl2500

I came across the attached photo (from a YouTube car sales video.

Anyone know what this drive shaft loop is?

Thanks,
    Dave

coupe driveshaft.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    That is an interesting find. Haven't put my driveshaft loop in yet and there isn't much space for the one I have

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
    That is an interesting find. Haven't put my driveshaft loop in yet and there isn't much space for the one I have
    Which one do you have? I have not bought mine yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Hard to tell, but this pic looks like the loop is around the U joint at the rear end. The loop needs to be at the U joint nearest the transmission. If the front U joint fails, the driveshaft would beat the trans tunnel, and through the thin aluminum (if you didn't have the loop). That's the reason for the loop. If the rear U joint fails, the driveshaft would rattle around and fall out.

coupe driveshaft.jpg[/QUOTE]
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    Which one do you have? I have not bought mine yet.
    I bought the basic Summit one: SUM-G7900 - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G7900 . Mine isn't installed yet and is similar to the one Paul used. Arms will need to be cut down and the hoop might need to be cut down, although I think the hoop will fit. The space to mount the arms to the frame is very tight though. Paul managed to get 3 bolts/nutserts per side and I just don't see that I have the space back there to get 3 in per side. Also to Ducky2009's comment above I might cut the hoop part down to make it smaller so in the event of a failure the driveshaft has less room to roam if that makes sense. I will be looking at the hoop in the next couple weeks though and if I can't find a satisfactory way to mount it then might have a buddy help me weld it on...

I do like the one Dave found because it eliminates bolting or welding to the frame (if it fits, no reason not to believe that one would). Dave - if you get it let us know...I'm still months away from having an engine/transmission combo to install. I do think the Summit hoop could be installed on your car though without having to mess with the transmission/driveshaft. Do you need it for track regulation? I've been impressed by how hard you use your car and getting it out there in events.
    Last edited by rhk118; 10-07-2023 at 05:42 AM.