Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ac cobra Mk2 steering column HELP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ac cobra Mk2 steering column HELP!!

So I recently purchased a 1966 ac cobra factory five Mk2 it is not fully finished i have been working on it but it is missing the steering column and shaft to the manual rack. It looks like it will be a dash mount column. Factory five is all out of mk4 columns until October. Anyone had any luck with other setups and what did they use. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am an ase certified mechanic but I am really struggling here thankfully it’s my own vehicle not a customer lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    The MKII's used the stock 87-93 Mustang inner steering shaft, sleeve and lower rag/universal mated to an FFR aluminum steering boss. It's different than the MKIV but should be easy to source the parts. If you can find a MKII manual it identifies all of the parts you will need. If you can't find one PM me and I will see if I can find mine. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    So I was planning on putting a new manual rack in tomorrow from a 87 - 93 Mustang. I need this shaft ?

https://www.1aauto.com/steering-shaf...CABEgJ_IvD_BwE

Then what column do I mate it to I need a dash mounted column. Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can source the rest from a junk yard. You will need a non tilt column for a 87-93 mustang. Then all you need Is an extension piece to make the column longer. BTW there is no dash mounted column. The whole thing is basically a collapsible shaft from the steering wheel to the rack.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There are much better experts here but if I recall correctly, the connection to the rack is a different diameter for a power rack compared to a manual one.

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    The MkII has a 2 or 3 piece shaft depending how you look at it. At the rack there is a U joint and then a short piece of 3/4 inch solid double d shaft. Then another U joint which connects to a 1 in double d shaft. Just above that u joint the shaft passes through a mounting bearing. Sorry I can't get under the dash to get more details above here. But I believe the 1 inch double d is hollow and goes maybe 2/3 of the distance to the steering wheel. Then another piece of 3/4 double d slips inside it and goes to the steering wheel through a mounting bearing that sits on top of the 2x2 inch frame cross tube. The portion of the top shaft that is inside the lower shaft has two spots machined into it for a pair of belleville washers to fit. These remove any slop but would allow the shaft to collapse in an accident. I would look for parts at Jegs, Summit, Speedway, etc.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The column has to bolt under the dash ? Correct ? That’s what I mean by dash mounted. Looking at the 1993 column it looks like I need the bracket that holds the column up also ? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s looking up under my dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh oh. Somethings not right. that looks like no FFR I have ever seen. Can you post more pics of the car overall?

Here is a pic of a steering shaft on a mark 1 or 2

Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 08-16-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not a FFR. Looks like you need an IDIDIT column or an older GM column. Not sure whos kit that it but if it was sold to you as an FFR the previous owner has some explaining to do.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    F91D5014-AEC1-4DB6-9E72-0D45D887DE87.jpg[attach=config]91442
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea whos kit that is. Looks like possible MustangII front suspension.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Great .... what other kits are out there.. I see shell valley not sure who else. Boy that feeling you get in your stomach.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a Street Beast.

Do some googling on them and I'm afraid you'll find that feeling in your stomach may be something you'll have to get used to.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, not a FFR.... get a good pic from the side, front, rear of the car to help us identify the make for you. If we can do that it will just be a matter of hooking you up with a owners group to answer all your questions.....Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet..... The undercar pic looks familiar to me...….I'm thinking "Butler"./….engine bay and inside trunk pics help,,,like how the rollbars are mounted.....all the little tells...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Well crap ! While I was typing my response Mr Kleiner took it a step farther and found it....and he's right.....Street Beast is the poster child for "Replicas Gone Bad"....that being said. Now you can find out what to use. If that is all that is missing, finish the car....drive it, sell it, whatever....if it needs a lot more it will be time to reassess the project...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Street beast uses a GM column

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys know your stuff appreciate the help. Not sure if the guy I bought the car from knew what kit it was or not. I paid $12500 for the car the engine cost that alone so hopefully I’m in ok shape here. Do you know what year gm column ? I guess street beast went out of buissness. This sucks I thought I could just order parts and finish this thing up !! Ugh