Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Best way to spend $$ on an engine

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to spend $$ on an engine

I have a 1967 289 2V engine in my possession. It was supposedly "gone through", but I don't know exactly what that means, I don't know if the job was done correctly, and I don't know if I can/should trust the motor. (My gut says "NO".) I would like to jump all the way to another Coyote motor, but the total cost for such a swap is very substantial. I know I am going to have to spend some amount of money to get whatever I choose to use. I just don't know where my money would be best spent:

1) rebuild the 289, leave it pretty much stock, perhaps add better flowing heads, a 4V intake manifold, and newer carb.
    2) rebuild the 289, add EFI
    3) rebuild the 289, bump it up to a 302, perhaps even a 331 or 347 (then should It be carbed or EFI)
    4) pickup up a solid 351W motor, preferably refurbished.
    5) just pry open my wallet and do the Coyote! (Yes, it is what I would really like, but I don't like the price tag!!)

Now I know there are a lot of variables here, and much of it comes down to personal taste, budget, purpose etc. Can you give me some "real world guess-timations" of the cost to do each option? Do you have better ideas? The car will be a semi-daily driver, it doesn't have to break land speed records, but it does have to be dependable. Good mileage is a plus, but not critical.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been involved with Windsor Fords for 3 decades - so I would be talking out my ... about what can be done nowadays with an OEM block, or an aftermarket block.
    What car would this be going in??

Coming from the gut, and myself being a guy who can squeeze a dollar 'til it yelps, this would be my take on a retrofit into a Windsor based chassis.
    - Stay with the Windsor platform - the car and electrics are already setup for it.
    - I don't know if an OEM 289 block has enough meat to bore/stroke to a big CID... so build a snotty 302-based mill (OEM or aftermarket), do a stroker.
    - Go EFI. Once you get the bugs out you'll wonder why you ever dealt with a carburetor.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    thought we already decided on the coyote.
    Just get out your wallet.
    End of thread.
    (Ha actually I have noting to contribute but am interested in the responses so figured I would just harass you a bit)
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to make a dependable daily driver and control cost I would rebuild the 289 with a mild cam, intake and heads then top it off with a EFI

Something that would run well on regular pump gas

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    thought we already decided on the coyote.
    Just get out your wallet.
    End of thread.
    (Ha actually I have noting to contribute but am interested in the responses so figured I would just harass you a bit)
    Yeah, you are right. We did. But then I found out the costs of all the other stuff that has to be done just to shoehorn that Coyote in there. My, the dollars do stack up.

Forgot to say, it actually is going in a '67 Mustang. The new suspension and brakes required to get the Coyote in are surprisingly expensive.

PS: WareagleScott - don't you have some big flying bus you should be driving?!!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    The big thing with the coyote in this car is the shock towers need to go so you end up putting in a Mustang 2 style front suspension. I have very cost effective big brake kits that would fit this car just fine.
    As for the engine, freshen up the bottom and change to hydraulic roller cam, a decent pr of heads and intake and the car will have a nice drivable 350hp.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    X2 on Gordon’s suggestions.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given your criteria I'd follow Gordon's recommendation (especially the roller part---you don't want to have to break in a flat tappet on your first engine build if you can avoid it). First thing you need to do though is open it up to determine the results of having been "gone through". If you find that it's already been overbored .030 or .040 and the cylinders still aren't sound, straight or round reusing the existing block starts to become a moot point.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it a small block here's why, you wouldn't have bought a new roadster kit setup for a small block i.e. Mounts headers et all with the going in thought I'm going to put in a big block or coyote

With the small block the aftermarket will be there to support you just open a catalog and posit to a set of coyote headers or accessory drive for a 67 stang... not so easy, now do the same for the small block and you'll have as many options as you'll need

Gordon, Jeff are on it, open it up see what you've got fix replace whats needed and here's my add, you want it to start and run nice without a lot of tinkering add a modern EFI

Just my $.02
    Gromit aka Chris
    Last edited by Gromit; 08-16-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    351W, stroked to 410, TB fuel injected, roller cam.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin,
    You are standing at the edge of a very steep and dark $ pit.

If you are going to keep this car in the family, then by all means jump in and build it your way.

Earlier you mentioned fastback! I assume you are building this to learn some new skills and have some fun, but sell sooner than later???

Coupes have a low price ceiling. Find out what nice 67 Coupes sell for and then go tattoo that number on your check writing hand.

Give it a compression test. If it has good compression and doesn’t leave puddles then leave it alone. Add EFI. Upgrade the coolant system. Upgrade the brakes. Now you have a nice runner and haven’t lost big money, yet. Check that number on your hand.

If you are going to build the motor yourself for the learning experience then the mild build Gordon and others suggest is a good idea and will be fun.

Easy to overbuild the motor because at this point you haven’t spent much money and it’s the sexy part of the build. Then what? Will the transmission and rear end handle the new power? Check tattoo.

Better upgrade that suspension. Check that number on your hand.

Why won’t these aftermarket suspension parts fit correctly? Has this car been in any accidents in its 50+ years? Is the body really straight?

I know you found some rust. Have you found all of it? Any structural land mines still uncovered? Bondo under the paint?

Your paint and interior guys will have some ideas for you too. Keep checking that tattoo.

All that being said, sounds like fun. Wish it was in my garage.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

12. Likes Cobradavid liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're looking at best value for your $$ it's hard to beat a crate engine. If you're looking for a street only machine that has a bit of performance then you can get a 300HP / 330TQ 302CI short block for around $3200 and the same engine "dressed" with carb, ignition, etc. will set you back less than $4400. If you need a bit more power a 306CI SBF that puts out 370HP can be had in long block form for under $4000. And all these come with a roller cam and a warranty.

But when I see a 1967 Mustang I think big cubic inch FE power. American cars are meant to be powered by an engine displacing more than 300 cubic inches and the bigger the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    But when I see a 1967 Mustang I think big cubic inch FE power. American cars are meant to be powered by an engine displacing more than 300 cubic inches and the bigger the better.
    I like the way you think NAZ!!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Given your criteria I'd follow Gordon's recommendation (especially the roller part---you don't want to have to break in a flat tappet on your first engine build if you can avoid it). First thing you need to do though is open it up to determine the results of having been "gone through". If you find that it's already been overbored .030 or .040 and the cylinders still aren't sound, straight or round reusing the existing block starts to become a moot point.

Good luck!

Jeff
    It certainly would be educational!! Guess I better get to pulling that thing out of there so I can see if I have a diamond in the rough or a boat anchor! Thanks!!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Kevin,
    You are standing at the edge of a very steep and dark $ pit.
    -Steve
    Been there before!!!
    Jazzman

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Brother, But LS All The Way!

New School Fuel Injection:
    https://paceperformance.com/i-714104...te-engine.html

Fake Ford Front Distributor Version / But The Valve Covers Must Go
    https://paceperformance.com/i-238424...ve-covers.html

Again, Sorry Brother!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-16-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Sorry Brother, But LS All The Way!
    Sin. The eternal human condition. The desire for all that is contrary to God's will rather than seeking His Favor. Putting an LS in a Cobra can be considered at least partly defensible due to Mr Shelby's initial desire to use Chevy motors. But an LS in a Mustang?!! Now THAT is outside the will of God! Would you put a Coyote in a Corvette? No! It is simply not done!! It is outside the great design of the universe!! (Ok, maybe it is done, but isn't it fun to poke at one another with a smile on our face and a laugh in our heart?!!)
    Jazzman

19. Likes Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, This is a no-brainer. Option 2. Rebuild the 289. End of story.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Would you put a Coyote in a Corvette?
    Jazzman,

I'm Not Smart Enough To Install A Coyote In Anything!
    Didn't You Already Realize That?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Jazzman,

I'm Not Smart Enough To Install A Coyote In Anything!
    Didn't You Already Realize That?

Steve
    Pish tosh, Steve! I don't believe all those stereotypes about folks from Louisiana!! (only some of them!!)
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve go to have you on forum! engine needs some ponies for a pony car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Pish tosh, Steve! I don't believe all those stereotypes about folks from Louisiana!! (only some of them!!)
    Hey Jazzman,

I was referring to my Chevy & Mopar Only Mechanical Abilities, not my great state that gave you your name. (Jazz)

New Orleans / The Birthplace of Jazz & VooDoo In America.
    In the late 19th century, while the rest of America was stomping their feet to military marches, New Orleans was dancing to VooDoo rhythms.
    New Orleans was the only place in the New World where slaves were allowed to own drums the origins of Jazz.

You Are Part Of Who We Are So Come Visit N.O.L.A. As Soon As You Can Sir Jazzman!

Steve

Thank God For People Like: Louis Armstrong, Ellis Marsalis, Fats Domino, Alan Toussant & Louis Prima Because They Changed The Music Of For World!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-17-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You speak the truth, Daddy'O!! NOLA is on my list of places to go, just haven't gotten to it yet. Such a great list of of Jazz greats. My son (age 24) loves Louis Prima! I am so glad that at least some of the younger generation are hearing the "Greats"!!
    Jazzman