FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Different gas tank found

Post Thanks / Like

Different gas tank found

I've been planning an under car exhaust for my early MKIII with IRS and wanted to put the mufflers in the back end under the trunk but, the mustang tank takes up the space.

here's what i got. It's a '53 Chevy replacement tank. I holds as much gas and wastes less space, fits between the bumper bolts (No Molotov Pinto, thanks) and leaves me lots of room to fit whatever muffler setup I like.

P8060063.jpg P8060065.jpg P8060066.jpg

There 3 different ports for the filler. You can order one of 3 models or cap it and use another which I may end up doing. Some simple frame mods are needed the strap mounts...

I had to cut the front mounting brace assembly due to the tank being 19" deep. 28" wide and 8"high. There a wider version too if you want 3 gallons more.

P8060060.jpg prd_45.jpg
    Last edited by CNIdog; 08-15-2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Are you going to run the pipes under the rear suspension?

Post Thanks / Like
    2.5 inch pipes to the back under seats and along the IRS frame then out to either side to a pair of Cherry-Bomb Vortex... should breath OK
    I'm leaving the engine as stock '87 HO cam and heads for now. Using a FiTech on a Performer
    RPM manifold and a Flame-Thrower distributor. Just bolt on stuff for now. I've been stalled on this build for years. :-)