FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bending Wiper Arms

Post Thanks / Like

Bending Wiper Arms

For those of you who have successfully bent your wiper arms to match the angle of the bottom of your wind shield, please let me know how you did it. How did you orient the arms in the vice? Did you use heat? How did you know it was “hot enough”? How hard did you bump with the hammer? Any other tips or tricks?

I've tried to bend those arms twice now with no joy. I clamped the arm horizontally in a vice & bumped it with a hammer as described by edwardb in his build thread, and I heated the arm with a heat gun hot enough to give myself a blister when I touched it…No movement at all. I will probably try again after I get my license tags, but for now bending those arms requires WAY more force than I’m comfortable applying.

John

IMG_4996 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

2. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you need to use more heat. I didn't torch the metal until it was red. But would have done more than just leave a blister if touched. The process I used was to put the end of the wiper in the vise horizontally, with the point where it needed to bend at the corner of the vise jaws. Then used my propane torch to heat the bend location. Then used a hammer to hit on the outside of where it needed to bend, with my left hand on the wiper pulling in the direction of the bend. I'm obviously right handed. I didn't have any trouble getting the needed bend on both sides, with more needed on the RH side same as your picture shows. For me typically took several bend attempts to get it just right. But once you have it close, doesn't need to be heated to move a little. The heating slightly discolored the metal, but polished out using a buffing wheel.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-01-2018 at 10:37 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've done exactly the same as Paul.

Jeff

6. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you pull the arm and move it down one spline?
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull81 View Post
    Can you pull the arm and move it down one spline?
    Not without the rubber hitting the chrome during the sweep.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Bend each one in several steps checking to make sure you don’t over do it. I have a set of soft aluminum jaws for my vice and I used a little heat from a torch pen and bent mine. Also when your done before you lock them down on the wiper box cycle the wipers with them half way on and wipers on them. You’ll find that they don’t return to where you initially set them. This step will prevent you from struggling to get them back off to re-index them.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

10. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post