FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Input from anyone filling up their oil catch cans

Post Thanks / Like

Input from anyone filling up their oil catch cans

I'm reaching out to any road racers (any variety) out there who are running wet sump systems and are filling up their catch cans after short periods of time. I'd be willing to give a pretty deep discount on my Arctangent Oil Control plate in exchange for track data. It's already been successfully track tested at NCM but that car had an AOS so detailed catch can data was not available.

PM me or email at [email protected].

Post Thanks / Like
    Ether you have no baffles in the valve covers for your breather lines or you have a ton of blow by.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Ether you have no baffles in the valve covers for your breather lines or you have a ton of blow by.
    He's talking about the 818.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm assuming that this question is for product development? One thing that has worked well on a motorcycle for me is a catch can system that self drains back to the case. Recently tested well on a 24 hour event. I've never really understood why more catch cans don't do this.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I'm assuming that this question is for product development? One thing that has worked well on a motorcycle for me is a catch can system that self drains back to the case. Recently tested well on a 24 hour event. I've never really understood why more catch cans don't do this.
    Usually because the oil in the catch can also contains emulsified water and combustion gas junk from the blow by. Not stuff you want recirculating in the motor.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have an issue and I have a lot of laps on my car. I run a Crawford AOS that does drain back, a KillerBee Oil Control valve and pan along with Bill's trick Arctangent Oil Control plate. As a side note my TMIC is also dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Usually because the oil in the catch can also contains emulsified water and combustion gas junk from the blow by. Not stuff you want recirculating in the motor.
    What's in the catch can came from the case. Water is a normal byproduct of combustion and heat in the oil will quickly boil it off. What's happening in the can is no different that what is happening in the case except that it is allowed to sit for weeks and build up. If you have issues with excess emulsified water in the can you have bigger problems than that little bit draining back to where it came from. RE Combustion Gas: Catch cans don't fill up with gas, they fill with atomized oil. Separating atomized oil from the blow by is kind of the whole point of a catch can. Basically, the can contains nothing you don't already have in much greater quantity in your case.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Subaru engine block has a built in AOS that drains back to the oil pan.

aos.jpg

On my dry sump system, all my engine vents are connected back to the top of my dry sump tank.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    What's in the catch can came from the case. Water is a normal byproduct of combustion and heat in the oil will quickly boil it off. What's happening in the can is no different that what is happening in the case except that it is allowed to sit for weeks and build up. If you have issues with excess emulsified water in the can you have bigger problems than that little bit draining back to where it came from. RE Combustion Gas: Catch cans don't fill up with gas, they fill with atomized oil. Separating atomized oil from the blow by is kind of the whole point of a catch can. Basically, the can contains nothing you don't already have in much greater quantity in your case.
    Crankcase gasses inside the engine are very hot as they’re redrawn into the intake system. By design, catch cans are nothing more than condensers and the condensate that returns to your engine is not just oil, but a nasty emulsion full of moisture, acids, combustion byproducts and other nasty grunge. In my opinion, the only acceptable ones are heated by the vehicle’s cooling system. These minimize the temperature difference and thus the condensing effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, my bad: I was actually speaking of Air Oil Separators. Catch can contents are never meant to go back into the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Typically if the vehicle is pushing that much oil something is wrong.

I'm running an IAG Competition Series AOS on my 818R.... it's in that mess of hoses and lines.....

Ln6mtck.jpg
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85