FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear upper control arm spacing issue

Post Thanks / Like

Rear upper control arm spacing issue

So I'm happily plodding along, managed to get both front control arm assemblies mounted, and I move on to the rear.

I get it lifted into place, insert the bolt, put on the nut, and I notice these awful gaps. These are not torqued down, yet, but the front was nothing like this. We're specifically looking at the rear passenger upper control arm.
    (edit: these are donor control arms from a 2000 C5. Bushings have not been replaced)

Overview:
    IMG_20180817_191430552.jpg

Rearward mount:
    IMG_20180817_191444386.jpg

Forward mount:
    IMG_20180817_191452801.jpg

This can't be right, can it? I don't want to just put a washer in there, that doesn't seem right either....

Thoughts? Anyone experienced something similar?
    Last edited by Perkster029; 08-17-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Ryan
    GTM #511
    Build log: gtm.perkinsons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ryan,

I ran into the exact same issue with mine. I did go down the path of replacing my bushings with the PFADT setup. I ended up putting stainless washers in mine and it worked perfectly.

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Sean. If at least someone else had this same issue, I know I'm not going too far off the reservation.

I ended up getting 4 SS fender washers for 2 bucks down at home depot, and a few minutes and rubber mallet strikes later, we're all torqued down. I still don't like the gap between the frame/washer and the bushing, but I guess it's really only the metal sleeve of the control arm bushing that needs contact.
    Ryan
    GTM #511
    Build log: gtm.perkinsons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem. I've even ran into the driver side, front, upper control arm spacing issues with the mounting bosses. One of the bosses on mine was off and wouldn't line up with the bolt holes of the PFADT setup. Thankfully all I needed to do was swap the sides of the bushings (one was thicker than the other) around the pin and it moved it just enough for the bolt holes to line up.

I figured this was welded in a jig, mine must have been welded on Friday LOL.