Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 295/50/15 tire sizing

Post Thanks / Like

295/50/15 tire sizing

Looking for some real world experience with the various brand tires in this size, specifically which brands fit better going into a Mkii roadster. I’m leaning towards Cooper Cobras only because they seem to have a slightly smaller footprint than the Goodrich tires. I’m trying to replace some 275/50/15’s radial ta’s that are now extinct…..and fit perfectly.
    Thanks,
    Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
    Looking for some real world experience with the various brand tires in this size, specifically which brands fit better going into a Mkii roadster. I’m leaning towards Cooper Cobras only because they seem to have a slightly smaller footprint than the Goodrich tires. I’m trying to replace some 275/50/15’s radial ta’s that are now extinct…..and fit perfectly.
    Thanks,
    Dean
    Extinct, or supply chain challenges? AFAIK, Goodrich still makes a T/A in 295/50R15.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 295/50/15 Coopers on my Mk 1.5 with Compomotive wheels. Whereas I never had an issue with 275 TAs, I do get occasional rubbing on the left fender when the gas tank is full and I go over a large bump at speed. When I installed them I remounted the quad shocks so that the skinny end was to the rear.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

4. Thanks idoxlr8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    Extinct, or supply chain challenges? AFAIK, Goodrich still makes a T/A in 295/50R15.
    The issue isn’t finding 295’s, it’s finding the smallest 295’s if that makes any sense. All manufacturers fit a little larger of smaller and the 275’s are tight enough as is. I’m hoping not to modify the frame for clearance.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nitto makes 275/50-15 in a Drag Radial.

Mickey Thompson makes that size in a Drag Radial also.

Can you get these in Burnaby, BC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
    The issue isn’t finding 295’s, it’s finding the smallest 295’s if that makes any sense. All manufacturers fit a little larger of smaller and the 275’s are tight enough as is. I’m hoping not to modify the frame for clearance.
    Isn't 295/50 pretty much math?

How much difference is there in size between brands and models?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running the Cooper cobras 295/50/15 on my Mk1 and I have no rubbing. I used to run the Goodrich TAs but after my second front right tire broke the bands I switched to the Cooper Cobra’s. I’m currently running 235/60/15 out front and while I wouldn’t use these tires to track the car, I have never tracked it so they work for me. This is the problem going with 15 inch wheels. It’s not going to get better. Finding tires for 17 inch rims and up aren’t a problem but as you’ve found, there’s only a handful of manufacturers making tires that fit and look good. I wouldn’t be surprised if one day way down the road I’ll be buying 17 inch wheels because I won’t be able to find tires for 15 inch wheels anymore.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went with Cooper Cobra’s.
    295/50/15’s on the back 245/60/15’s out front. Team III rims, 8.8 rear end with three link. Had to relieve the panhard mount bracket and raised the rear ride height to about 4.75 inches…..so far so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Likes mburger, GoDadGo liked this post