Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: INTRO and SOME ?'s

Post Thanks / Like

Smile INTRO and SOME ?'s

I would like to introduce myself, I'm Anthony, better known as afourcault on a few of the kit car websites.

I have been following the GTM for a long while now and I know that I'm a future GTM owner( pending my acquiring the cash to buy the kit&donor.) From the research I have been doing into kits and kit manufacturers (exotic to vintage to one-off super cars) I can tell that this is by far the best "bang for the buck" and most realistic start to finish time frame wise and honestly one of the best looking.

Firstly I would like to extend a thank you to FFR for the good and well organized info available. Secondly I have a couple of questions I would like to ask before I commit myself to this process and sell everything I can except my girlfriend,lol.

1. Scale of 1-10, ease of build.
    2. Transmission, now I know that FFR has temed up with Mendeola for a 5 speed transmission that's better suited to this build. If I remember correctly I read somewhere that there is a possibility of a 6 speed option for this is that still in the works? And is this strictly a manual only or is there an automatic option out there somewhere.
    3. Driveability (e.g. strictly a summer time car or can it be safely driven in the winter?)
    4. Safety. Knowing that this car has a role cage, is it accident safe? (e.g. front, side and rear impact safe)
    5. Ease of registration and insurability (I live in Oklahoma)
    6. And most important of all is this a fun car to own/build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afourcault View Post
    I would like to introduce myself, I'm Anthony, better known as afourcault on a few of the kit car websites.

I have been following the GTM for a long while now and I know that I'm a future GTM owner( pending my acquiring the cash to buy the kit&donor.) From the research I have been doing into kits and kit manufacturers (exotic to vintage to one-off super cars) I can tell that this is by far the best "bang for the buck" and most realistic start to finish time frame wise and honestly one of the best looking.

Firstly I would like to extend a thank you to FFR for the good and well organized info available. Secondly I have a couple of questions I would like to ask before I commit myself to this process and sell everything I can except my girlfriend,lol.

1. Scale of 1-10, ease of build.
    2. Transmission, now I know that FFR has temed up with Mendeola for a 5 speed transmission that's better suited to this build. If I remember correctly I read somewhere that there is a possibility of a 6 speed option for this is that still in the works? And is this strictly a manual only or is there an automatic option out there somewhere.
    3. Driveability (e.g. strictly a summer time car or can it be safely driven in the winter?)
    4. Safety. Knowing that this car has a role cage, is it accident safe? (e.g. front, side and rear impact safe)
    5. Ease of registration and insurability (I live in Oklahoma)
    6. And most important of all is this a fun car to own/build?
    1. The GTM is one of the tougher/est cars to build - at least if you want a good quality build. If you can use tools and have some connections with people that can weld, do fab work for the occassional miscellaneous bracket you might need made up, etc, and have tons of patience and aren't afraid to ask questions, you should be fine.

2. Good luck getting one...lots of drama with Mendeola right now. There are a handful of vendors that can rebuild you a porsche transaxle and get it to you in a timely fashion, though.
    I think someone somewhere did an automatic, but they don't post on the forums (as far as I know) and nothing readily usable has been set in stone.

3. I don't trust other motorists much, let alone in the winter, to ever even think of putting a car I put thousands of hours of time into on the road in the winter. Can't call up GM and ask for a new fender or door with the GTM...
    I know others use theirs as daily drivers in nice weather, but I don't trust others that much to do that in mine. Could you build a GTM that can handle winters? Sure, but I'm cringing.

4. A forum member just totaled his GTM out recently and walked away from a pretty heinous looking wreck...but outside of that there hasn't been much 'evidence' to tell us much.

5. Varies state to state, but for the most part it seems most have an OK time getting registration taken care of.

6. Absolutely. I have 1500+ miles on mine now and I'm still giddy as hell when I take it out. The repeated satisfaction of tackling various obstacles in the build and overcoming them is an immense feeling. That first start isn't something to be described, let alone that first drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    1. The GTM is one of the tougher/est cars to build - at least if you want a good quality build. If you can use tools and have some connections with people that can weld, do fab work for the occassional miscellaneous bracket you might need made up, etc, and have tons of patience and aren't afraid to ask questions, you should be fine.

2. Good luck getting one...lots of drama with Mendeola right now. There are a handful of vendors that can rebuild you a porsche transaxle and get it to you in a timely fashion, though.
    I think someone somewhere did an automatic, but they don't post on the forums (as far as I know) and nothing readily usable has been set in stone.

3. I don't trust other motorists much, let alone in the winter, to ever even think of putting a car I put thousands of hours of time into on the road in the winter. Can't call up GM and ask for a new fender or door with the GTM...
    I know others use theirs as daily drivers in nice weather, but I don't trust others that much to do that in mine. Could you build a GTM that can handle winters? Sure, but I'm cringing.

4. A forum member just totaled his GTM out recently and walked away from a pretty heinous looking wreck...but outside of that there hasn't been much 'evidence' to tell us much.

5. Varies state to state, but for the most part it seems most have an OK time getting registration taken care of.

6. Absolutely. I have 1500+ miles on mine now and I'm still giddy as hell when I take it out. The repeated satisfaction of tackling various obstacles in the build and overcoming them is an immense feeling. That first start isn't something to be described, let alone that first drive.
    lol you're the one I actually have to thank for putting me onto this insane task that i am considering undertaking.. I have followed your blog almost religiously for the last 2 years.. Just to see how it turned out.. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afourcault View Post
    lol you're the one I actually have to thank for putting me onto this insane task that i am considering undertaking.. I have followed your blog almost religiously for the last 2 years.. Just to see how it turned out.. lol
    Thanks for following It's been a great learning experience, and there's still more fun to come!

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually have a laundry list of questions.. would it be at all possible to shoe-horn in a BMW v-12(m70)? Ive read a lot on the process of using it in a lambo replicar and what is involved with making it run. I do have a source for a trans adapter plate that would make it work providing that i can use the mendeola box(hopefully by the time i order my kit and gear(still looking at a year or two down the road) all the kinks have been ironed out) also how is the rfid working out? is there anyone who is using the ISIS harness system? im going into this project with a strong mechanical background (years spent keeping my pos eclipse running and years of aircraft/sheet-metal/composite experience)

Post Thanks / Like
    The m70 would fit...but you will have to fab up new engine mounts, get a new flywheel, and deal with the electronic fun (EFI for fueling, etc). From what I've read...it wouldn't be a very wallet-friendly engine to pursue.

The RFID push button start is nice - a real nice compliment to the build.

There are many using ISIS that would be able to help with any questions there.

Post Thanks / Like
    whats the height from floor pan to top of the center column? i like to get a complete layout in my head and on paper before i peruse anything.. lol ive got millions of ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone else will have to chime in with that one...don't have that on-hand, but I'd estimate it to be around 38".

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm you think there would be a way to lower that?

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say center column are you referring to the crossbar that goes over the front of the engine (ie: the highest frame member on the car), or are you referring to the frame member that the dash goes over?

Post Thanks / Like
    actually im referring to the center console. lol.. typo from hell my bad. i was looking at the interior of the car and was thinking of how to lower the center console(where the gear shift is) down and make more room for my toys in the center dash (plans for a carpc touch screen interface digital hvac controls pasport 9500 ci rfid/pts along with some other systems) although im not made of money i am in the military and when deployments come up i gotta spend the cash in a fun way lol save up and make a very nice toy

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah - I know a few have cut the frame members in the tunnel and did custom center consoles to do what you are describing. Can't think of who they were off hand - the other forum will yield them if you search though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    Ah - I know a few have cut the frame members in the tunnel and did custom center consoles to do what you are describing. Can't think of who they were off hand - the other forum will yield them if you search though.
    There's another forum? Lol <<clueless

Post Thanks / Like
    ffcars dot com

There is a section for the GTM
    Just an old man with a great hobby