FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  152
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl's 20th Anniversary #8690 - Graduated... 15,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Finally on the Alignment Rack

Today I was finally able to get #8690 up onto an alignment rack. I had set it up in my garage using string, levels, toe plates, camber/caster gauges etc to get it close. I've put 2300 miles on the car in the last 2.5 months with my setup and have been really happy with the way it's been driving and handling so I know that I was close to good. When all was said and done, I actually had my front set up very close, but my rear was off a bit. Mostly my rear camber was out a bit. I have to say it was a bit strange watching someone else wrench on my car.

IMG_5733.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like

5200 miles in 4 months... YES, I'm having FUN!

This is kind of a duel purpose entry. One to document the completion of over 5000 miles as well as to show some photos from the 2019 Hot Rod Power Tour that I just completed with my 19yo son Matthew. So this past Sunday, Fathers Day, I completed the Hot Rod Power Tour. On this trip, I logged just over 2500 total miles and just prior to leaving, I changed the oil with the odometer reading 2500 miles. I'm having a blast with the car. So far I've only had one minor issue with the radiator fan switch not wanting to turn the fan off when it is at the appropriate cool temp. Simple fix as soon as I find a supplier for a better quality switch. Either way, I wanted to fill you in on the first 5000 miles. I've driven it in the rain, the blazing hot sun and on some perfect 73* days with white clouds in the sky. It drives like it's on rails and is very easy to handle. The BluePrint Engines 347ci Carb motor has run perfectly since day one. I've found that with the idle right at 600 rpm, I get the perfect loping idle that we all like. During the Power tour, I had the opportunity to drag race it on the 1/4 mile as well as try my hand at a autocross track. During the Autocross run, I was really trying to push it hard and actually spun it out. During the drag race, it ran 114mph in 13 seconds and that was after I had to lift just after shifting into 3rd as I broke the rear tires loose and I started drifting towards the center line. That's right, I broke the rear tires loose while going just about 100mph. When driving in the pouring rain, I got wet. (can't believe how many people ask me about having no top and what will happen if it rains) The rain for the most part blew over the windshield, but a lot also drips in at the top of the doors and blows around and back into the car from the back. The good news, with standing water in the floor boards, a towel dries it right up as there is no padding under the carpet. I have a few minor squeaks from body/door/hood/trunk lid rubbing each other as I've not truly/properly gaped them (leaving that for Jeff K) I really like my EPAS (Elec Power Steering) The Cruise Control works really well and it will maintain a good constant speed up and down hills. What can I say, it is just a fun car to drive and I drive it as much as possible.

Here is the Drag race, I'll put the autocross video in the next entry.

Drying out the floor boards in Bristol KY during the day 2 stop of the Hot Rod Power Tour.
    IMG_6043.JPG

The BluePrint Engines 347ci looking awesome as always. About 3000 miles on it here
    IMG_6022.jpg

During a very hard downpour I was stopped under a closed gas station cover waiting for it to blow over.
    IMG_5997.jpg

Just enjoying a day full of driving.
    IMG_5972.JPG

Day one of the 2019 Hot Rod Power Tour
    IMG_5956.jpg

A special offer from BluePrint Engines that we worked up.
    IMG_5650.jpg

One of several small car shows that I've participated in.
    IMG_5669.jpg

At one of the larger car shows I've been a part of.
    IMG_5771.jpg

It's BRISTOL Baby!!!
    IMG_7926.JPEG

In the Great Smoky Mountains (Father's Day 2019) 5000 miles on odometer.
    IMG_6125.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

3. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the AutoCross Video as it would only allow me to put one video in the post above. I was only planning to go one time so I really pushed it and spun it out. I pushed it hard even after the spin, got to get back on the horse and ride it right????

WARNING: there is a bit of commentary that may not be appropriate for some small ears. Sorry...

Completed the 2019 Hot Rod Power Tour LONG HAULER
    IMG_8072.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 06-19-2019 at 05:34 PM.

5. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I Would Have Hit The Wall!

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl,

I'm with Steve, I probably would have smacked the wall! That had to put a pucker in your ….

Did you make to Jeff's while you were in his neighborhood?

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Carl,

I'm with Steve, I probably would have smacked the wall! That had to put a pucker in your ….

Did you make to Jeff's while you were in his neighborhood?

Dave
    I was really never that close to the wall... I would say I spun the rear end around and it was the closest at about 8 feet from the wall... Just a guess as I was actually more interested in getting it started back up and continuing on the course.

No visit with Jeff.... He was putting the clear on that Titanium Silver car... could not be interrupted....

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Carl. Loved the spin out. 'Looks' like you were in total control. I'm going to start calling you Submariner with all that rain!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like

Just the cool sounds of the 347 purring

I call this little video clip "347 Lullaby" with a "wake up call" in the middle.
    BluePrint Engines 347ci carb motor with the FFR side pipes. I will be installing Georgie's GAS-N pipes in the next week or so and this will be the first of two comparison videos.

Also, remember, if interested, you have until Aug 1st to use the 10% discount code “ CEPT10% “ to save 10% on your order on your engine purchase at BluePrint Engines. Check them out today at www.BluePrintEngines.com or for FFR specific options check out www.FactoryFiveEngines.com

11. Likes Straversi, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Squeak in the Rear of the Car

Shortly after beginning the driving of my MK4 I developed a squeak in the rear. I had read about the different possibilities, Sway bars, Control Arms, etc... All of mine have been properly lubricated and actually re-lubricated with no luck in getting ride of the squeak. So after the Hot Rod Power tour and about 5600 miles now, I decided to really get under there and find this squeak. I actually found it by accident, while cleaning the underside of the car after many miles of rain driving. While cleaning the bottom of the fuel tank, the squeak showed up. Watch the video and the photos show how I have addressed the issue. I sure hope this help others that could have this same issue.

Be sure to turn up your speakers for that awesome fingernail on the chalkboard sound...

So once I discovered exactly what was causing the squeak I came up with the idea of putting a good thick rubber cushion between the tank straps and the rear edge of the tank flange where the metal to metal rubbing was causing the squeak. I found that my left over piece of 3/8" fuel line would make the perfect addition to my build. I cut two pieces of fuel line, each 1" long and then slit the both. The idea is that the slit will go over the edge of the fuel tank and provide insulation between the tank and strap. One added note, I also put the insulator as far around on the top of the tank edge as I could so that it is actually sandwiched between the black plastic cap that you put in the tank support tube. So now it is held very firmly in place by to points, the edge of the tank and the strap as well as the support tube. Tightened up the tank straps and there is now zero squeak. Problem Solved...

In this photo you can see the inside of the tank strap and where it was rubbing against the edge of the tank causing the squeak.
    IMG_6331.jpg

A close up shot of the modified fuel line / insulator
    IMG_6333v1.jpg

How the insulator fits in place
    IMG_6334.JPG

Job completed...
    IMG_6336.JPG

Well almost completed... I did take this opportunity to take it all apart and put a coat of paint on the bolts to stop the rust. Just not before I took these photos.

13. Likes Straversi, RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1000 Miles Completed 3-23-2019.jpg

2800 miles completed 6-8-2019.jpg

5200 Miles Completed 6-21-2019.JPG

6000 Miles Completed 7-14-2019.JPG
    6000 Miles completed as of 7-14-2019. The BluePrint 347 is going strong. Had a chance to give a future builder a ride today. Hope you enjoyed the ride Richard...

15. Likes RBachman, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you kidding? I had a BLAST and the whiplash is going away already. LOL!
    Thanks again, Carl!!! I have the car on order and I'm anxious to start building. At this very moment, contractors are outside pouring footers for my garage. Getting closer every day and already talked to Jeff K. about paint!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    1000 Miles Completed 3-23-2019.jpg
    ...6000 Miles completed as of 7-14-2019. The BluePrint 347 is going strong. Had a chance to give a future builder a ride today. Hope you enjoyed the ride Richard...

17. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post #188, door latch mod, just found this. Great "how to" . I have copied this to my "must do" file. Thanks for great documentation !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zilverx View Post
    Post #188, door latch mod, just found this. Great "how to" . I have copied this to my "must do" file. Thanks for great documentation !
    Hope it helps... I did it right from the start... no need to find out if my latch was a good one... I made them good...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the day sneaked by me... 8/18/19... that was the day that marked one year since I purchased my 20th Anniversary Mk 4 kit from a private seller and started the journey. As of 8/16/19, I have 7500 miles on my gel coat driver and in only a month or so until it goes to the painter to "complete" the build. That's 7500 miles in just 2 days shy of one full year since I purchased the unbuilt kit. During the past 7 months of the full year, I've been driving and having a blast with my Mk4. I officially started driving it on Feb 2nd when I received my title and tags. In June I took it on the 2019 Hot Rod Power tour and completed the entire tour (a Long Hauler) with my son by my side. During that 8 days, I clocked 2700 +/- miles and drove many hours in the pouring rain. I can say that everything worked flawless. The suspension, the BluePrint 347 engine, the electrical, everything. I'm so glad that I purchased this fun beast and look forward to many, many more miles. I actually drive my Mk4 more miles each week than I do my daily driver. I built it to drive, have fun and show it off and so far it has done all of that. Here are some photos of my journey for the past 12 months.

I have been asked many times how did I build it in only 3 months.... my answer, I was able to work on it for 4 hours each day M-F and 12 hours on Saturdays... I did this every day/week until it was done. I never felt like I was rushing. I never cut any corners. I torqued each and every bolt as needed. I can say that I'm very proud of the workmanship and detail that I put into this car. I'm very lucky to have a gel coat body that looks very good from Factory Five and can only imagine how it is going to look with the brightest red possible and gray strips... that is coming soon...

The friends and support that I have made/received here on the forums have been great. If you are someone new and just looking at one of these builds. You are at the right place.

IMG_1396.JPG One Very Happy Carl!.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_0154.jpg IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg HRPT2019v2.jpg

IMG_5192.PNG Cruise From Myrtle Beach 7-14-19.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 08-20-2019 at 06:13 PM.

21. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the day sneaked by me... 8/18/19... that was the day that marked one year since I purchased my 20th Anniversary Mk 4 kit from a private seller and started the journey. As of 8/16/19, I have 7500 miles on my gel coat driver and in only a month or so until it goes to the painter to "complete" the build. That's 7500 miles in just 2 days shy of one full year since I purchased the unbuilt kit. During the past 7 months of the full year, I've been driving and having a blast with my Mk4. I officially started driving it on Feb 2nd when I received my title and tags. In June I took it on the 2019 Hot Rod Power tour and completed the entire tour (a Long Hauler) with my son by my side. During that 8 days, I clocked 2700 +/- miles and drove many hours in the pouring rain. I can say that everything worked flawless. The suspension, the BluePrint 347 engine, the electrical, everything. I'm so glad that I purchased this fun beast and look forward to many, many more miles. I actually drive my Mk4 more miles each week than I do my daily driver. I built it to drive, have fun and show it off and so far it has done all of that. Here are some photos of my journey for the past 12 months.

I have been asked many times how did I build it in only 3 months.... my answer, I was able to work on it for 4 hours each day M-F and 12 hours on Saturdays... I did this every day/week until it was done. I never felt like I was rushing. I never cut any corners. I torqued each and every bolt as needed. I can say that I'm very proud of the workmanship and detail that I put into this car. I'm very lucky to have a gel coat body that looks very good from Factory Five and can only imagine how it is going to look with the brightest red possible and gray strips... that is coming soon...

The friends and support that I have made/received here on the forums have been great. If you are someone new and just looking at one of these builds. You are at the right place.

IMG_1396.JPG One Very Happy Carl!.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_0154.jpg IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg HRPT2019v2.jpg

IMG_5192.PNG Cruise From Myrtle Beach 7-14-19.jpg
    On another post, a person commented that was along the lines of money would be better spent on a Corvette. Perhaps for some. But they would not be able to have your memories and experiences and make a post like this.

Congrats and looking forward to seeing it painted. I'm hoping to be able to drive mine to Huntington in spring of 2020.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    a person commented that was along the lines of money would be better spent on a Corvette
    Checkbook hot rodders will never know the joy of "Built... NOT Bought".

Yeah... we "bought" the kits. But each and every one of us doing this can honestly say we're "intimate" with every single nut, bolt, washer, rivet, on our cars... Every Single One!
    IMO...
    Swapping out a trim bezel for a piece of chrome bling does not qualify as "wrenching on your car"...
    Bolting on a completely engineered "system" for better this or that does not qualify as "wrenching on your car"...

Sitting and staring at your newly bent brake lines and 2nd guessing if what you just made will work or kill you qualifies as "wrenching".
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Sitting and staring at your newly bent brake lines and 2nd guessing if what you just made will work or kill you qualifies as "wrenching".
    You got that right John!

Post Thanks / Like

8000 miles, Getting ready for Body and Paint work

Last weekend, I took the BluePrint Engines Factory Five 20th anniversary MK4 roadster up to Darlington and showed it off in the Ford Performance Corral along with about 30 other Bad Asp Fords. Even had Edsel Ford stop by and say hello to us. During that 250 mile round trip, my odometer rolled all 7777s and then this weekend, it rolled over 8000. All I can say is that I'm enjoying driving this thing more and more every time I get in to it. So just a quick back story. I bought the complete 20th anniversary kit second hand in Aug 2018, pretty much finished it in December 2018 and titled/tagged it on Feb 2nd 2019. So in just 7 months I've racked up 8000 miles. I completed the 2019 Hot Rod Power Tour in June as a Long Hauler, completing all 7 cities in 7 days, and added a couple stops on the way back. That was 2700 miles of pure enjoyment. Even the rainy days. Time with my son riding through some of the most beautiful roads our country has.

During the 8000 miles, I have found some little things that I've tweaked but for about 95% of everything else, I've been absolutely happy with everything about his car. The BluePrint 347 Carb motor has purred the entire time and never let's me down when I step on the "go" pedal.

Now, it's time to get the car ready for Jeff Kliener to do his amazing work with the body and paint. I'm removing the BluePrint Engine decals along with all the others this week. (I'm sure that will cost me about 53 HP) I'll be installing the brand new custom made GAS-n fully polished stainless steel headers and side pipes and then just waiting for that call from Jeff to say... get it up here.

While out on my drive this weekend, I found a small county park and stopped to take some final photos of it with the decals all on it. I've actually really become accustomed to having them and really like the look, but can only imagine what Jeff is going to make it look like. So I wanted to have some decent photos to remember it this way. I also have some really nice, long, secluded roads that gives me some opportunity to make a couple "performance" runs. I've shown photos below of a one of my 0-60mph runs along with a 1/4 mile run. These times are as recorded by my GPS speedometer so not sure really how accurate it is but either way, I have fun as I always do.

IMG_7525.jpg IMG_7451.JPG IMG_7457.jpg IMG_7469.jpg IMG_7473.jpg IMG_7505.jpg IMG_7519.jpg IMG_7511.jpg A morning visit to the man's toy store.jpg At an all cars cobra event put on by the Low Country Muscle Car Club in SC.jpg

26. Likes GTBradley, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post Carl. I bet you’ve put on more miles in a set period of time than anyone else. I think Blueprint needs a field rep!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! And thanks for taking us along for the ride via your posts and videos. They were fun to watch.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

8690 miles on MK4 20th Anniversary Serial #8690

Nothing really important, but on 9-22-19 I rolled the odometer over 8,690 miles...
    Only significant to me because that is the serial number of my car..... (7 mo and 20 days on the road)

8690 Miles Completed on MK4 #8690 9-21-2019.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch Throw-out bearing is toast...

During a drive this morning I noticed a very minor vibration... actually could be better described as I heard the vibration. It was a strange one, was not really dependent on speed. It came in went in a pattern of about 1 second on and 1 second off. then on and then off... over and over... Then after I had stopped for a few minutes in a parking lot to look at my phone, I was just sitting in neutral, idling and I started to hear a squeak. As I started to drive off from the parking lot, the squeak got very loud and then a the a vibration began to be felt. Fortunately I was only 1 mile from home so I got it home and up on jack stands and pulled the clutch fork cover off and this video shows what I found. Note: the squeak in the video is not what I was hearing, I was hearing the bearing squealing.

WARNING: Irritating sound on video... think finger nails on the chalk board while listening to this video...

The good news is I was about to pull the engine and transmission out to send them back to BluePrint Engines for some upgrades and I believe that this will be covered by warranty. Either way, my fun daily driving will be put on hold for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like

BluePrint Engine Removal & Replacement w/Body on

So over the past couple months, I removed the engine and transmission and sent it all back to BluePrint Engines. They quickly completed some work on the engine as well as repaired the transmission clutch and trow-out bearing. All of this was completed under their awesome 50,000 3 year warranty at no cost to me. The engine is back in and everything is running great. I have to give a huge shout out to the gang at BluePrint Engines as they did all this work with the ease. Ken and Josh in Technical Support and of course Johnny Mac were all fantastic.

I scheduled to pick up my engine at the FedEx Distribution center. It was much easier than trying to deal with the lift gate at my house (I have a dirt/grass driveway). They loaded it into my truck with a forklift and then I just backed my truck into my garage and used the engine hoist and cargo straps to lift the entire crate. Lifted it up a couple inches and drove the truck out from under it. Then I just moved it to where I wanted it and set the crate down on some jack stands.

IMG_8316.jpg Engine In Crate on Jack Stands.jpg

A lesson learned during the removal of the engine is that it is much more difficult with the body on to put it in and out. The reason is that the balance bar / chain connects to the rear of the engine head. When the body is on, that location is actually under the body and you can not lift the engine up off of the engine mounts with out the balance bar hitting the body. ALSO, even the 2 ton engine hoist that most everyone uses is not long enough to reach over the front of the car (with body on) so you must go in from the side. I will say that putting it back in was sure a lot easier knowing the issues that I had taking it out. I actually was able to use a cargo strap wrapped through my intake manifold at the rear of the engine to attach my balance bar so that it did not hit the body when I was putting the engine back in.

IMG_7852.jpg Engine Hoist Over Front Nose.jpg Engine Hoist Over Passenger Side.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 12-29-2019 at 02:37 PM.

32. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mechanical Throttle Linkage Installed

While the engine was out I took the opportunity to switch over from the cable throttle to a mechanical throttle linkage. I purchased all the parts from McMaster-Carr and have to tell you, it is night and day different from the cable. I also installed the Russ Thompson Throttle Pedal assembly that mounts to the 3/4" tube. If you are just building your car now and are even remotely considering a mechanical linkage, do it before you get you engine in and button up the foot box... you be glad you did.

I used all stainless steel. 1/4" threaded rod, 3/8" SS solid rod, SS nylon self-locking nuts and under the hood I covered the rod with a cut to length piece of SS 5/16 brake line that I polished with some metal polish to give it a high mirror finish. I picked up the levers for under the hood and in the foot box from Speedway motors.

I had to tap out the ends of the Speedway Throttle Arm to match the threads on the ball joint linkage and then put a self locking nut on it as well.

RT Throttle Assembly.jpg Connection to Carb w-Cruise Control Cable.jpg Mechanical Linkage.jpg Pivot Rod Locations from Drivers Footbox.jpg Throttle Arm Linkage w-locknut.jpg

Note, the extra rod length next to the fire wall has been cut off to appropriate length.
    ----------------------------------------
    Speedway Motors Parts

#91018410-3/8 Speedway Light Aluminum Throttle Linkage Arm, 3/8 Inch $ 9.99 (2 Each)
    ---------------------------------------

McMaster Parts List:
    1 1141T25 Hardened Tight-Tolerance 17-4 PH Stainless Steel Rod, 3/8" Diameter, 1 Foot Long $23.22 (1 Each)

2 6072K31 Oil-Embedded Ball Joint, Linkage, 1/4"-28 Internal Thread, Right-Hand Shank and Ball Stud $7.77 (4 Each)

3 6072K175 Oil-Embedded Ball Joint, Rod End, 3/8"-24 Thread, Right Hand $6.36 (2 Each)

4 93250A060 Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Threaded Rod, 1/4"-28 Thread Size, 1 Foot Long, $2.78 (2 Each)

5 3370K15 Clamping Two-Piece Shaft Collar for 3/8" Diameter, Chrome-Plated 1215 Carbon Steel $7.38 (2 Each)

34. Likes Caddy Dad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready to go to Bloomington IN

So as the time gets closer and closer to taking my car up to Jeff K for his magic, I've been getting ready. One of my goals with the car is to travel and stop in a "fun" area, unload my MK4 and cruise... and camp, and cruise. So a couple weeks ago, I picked up this 40' Millennium trailer. 12'+ Living Quarters and 20' Garage. The previous owner was a Porsche guy and I've since taken all the decals off the sides of the trailer. I also installed some cool E-Track tie downs and loaded the MK4. It all fits great and pulls fantastic. I'm really getting excited to know that my first real trip with it will be up to Bloomington IN...

IMG_8963.jpg IMG_8974.jpg IMG_8979.jpg IMG_8983.jpg IMG_9013.jpg IMG_9015.JPG Trailer Interior.jpg

And I also received my vanity tag....
    IMG_9100.jpg

36. Likes Caddy Dad, Higgybulin, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Carl,
    I too have the BPE 347 and I'm getting ready to install the engine/transmission in a few weeks. I bought the Forte's mechanical linkage and RT throttle pedal. I was waiting to install the the engine and then install the linkage. Do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and install the mechanical linkage now? Or is it OK to wait until the engine is in to mock up the linkage and get the measurements correct?

Thanks!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    Hi Carl,
    I too have the BPE 347 and I'm getting ready to install the engine/transmission in a few weeks. I bought the Forte's mechanical linkage and RT throttle pedal. I was waiting to install the the engine and then install the linkage. Do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and install the mechanical linkage now? Or is it OK to wait until the engine is in to mock up the linkage and get the measurements correct?

Thanks!
    Well.... I would say it is much easier to install it without the engine in the way. This is not to say it couldn't be done with the engine installed, but it would have been much more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    So as the time gets closer and closer to taking my car up to Jeff K for his magic, I've been getting ready. One of my goals with the car is to travel and stop in a "fun" area, unload my MK4 and cruise... and camp, and cruise. So a couple weeks ago, I picked up this 40' Millennium trailer. 12'+ Living Quarters and 20' Garage. The previous owner was a Porsche guy and I've since taken all the decals off the sides of the trailer. I also installed some cool E-Track tie downs and loaded the MK4. It all fits great and pulls fantastic. I'm really getting excited to know that my first real trip with it will be up to Bloomington IN...

IMG_8963.jpg IMG_8974.jpg IMG_8979.jpg IMG_8983.jpg IMG_9013.jpg IMG_9015.JPG Trailer Interior.jpg

And I also received my vanity tag....
    IMG_9100.jpg
    Awesome looking trailer Carl. You and I will be making that road trip to pick yours up in that bad boy. Time is getting close for yours to get some color. Tag looks great as well!!

Post Thanks / Like

The beginning of the end!

Today was an exciting, and long awaited day. I delivered my 20th Anniversary MK4 to Jeff Kleiner in Bloomington IN. It is now in his trusty hands for a beautiful Carmine Red w/Gray strip paint job... It's going to be an exciting day when I go back to pick it up....

IMG_9921.jpg IMG_9922.JPG IMG_9923.jpg

This is close to what I hope it to look like when all completed with the exception, the red will be much more red...

IMG_9902.PNG

And a sample of the paint that Jeff did for me several months ago, the photo doesn't do the color justice.
    IMG_8936.jpg

And on a Porsche 2016 Carmine Red Porsche.jpg
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 07-11-2020 at 06:19 PM.

41. Likes JB in NOVA, GTBradley, MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are nice colour choices! I am sure it will be stunning.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Very smart to drive it in gel coat to shake out all the gremlins. I'm thinking of doing the same. Looking forward to seeing your finished product -- very inspirational for newbies like me to see the final results.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Carl. I look forward to the day you pick it up as well!!

45. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your color choices are great. I saw that color at the dealership when looking for my own. It is a very red red. Now you have to be patient for Jeff to do his magic.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

47. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Working on the Garage while car is off to Paint and Body

I've been working on the back wall of the garage while my 20th Anniversary #8690 is off at Jeff Kleiner's for paint and body for a few weeks. This is a work in progress. I still have to get a Factory Five Racing metal logo ordered and put up and polish up the old FFR stainless side pipes. It is getting so close to graduating this 20th anniversary Mk4.

The red paint is actually the same epoxy that I have on the floor. I have about 3/4 gal left over so I figured I would use it. The plan currently is to have the same stripes on the car (of course) Metallic Pewter with the black border stripe. Of course, if this changes, I'll just mix up some more red epoxy and start over. Either way, I think it will look pretty cool once 8690 is back home.

IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0117.jpg IMG_0124.JPG Garage Back Wall.JPG IMG_0125.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You have way too much free time on your hands, Carl. Garage looks great as I'm sure the car will when Jeff is done.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

50. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am most envious. I have number 15 of the 20th Anniversary roadster. I also am in line for Jeff to paint my car.
    Trying to be patient and enjoy the car in gel coat. I am still under a thousand miles, but cooler driving weather is near.
    Congrats on your car and shop.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    You have way too much free time on your hands, Carl. Garage looks great as I'm sure the car will when Jeff is done.
    Yes, I do... no car to drive... I've also been working on my trailer. Installing an 18' awning, TV, and a few other things to make the extra long and overnight road trips a bit more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl,
    If you do not mind and to save me going through your thread, how do you have your seats mounted.
    I am 5' 11" and feel like I might be sitting slightly higher than you appear in your car.
    My seats are on the F5 sliders, with a little tilt up in the front.
    I am not having any issues other than, I feel just a little high in the car.
    I am contemplating, pulling the slider on my side and mounting to the floor with a little angle.
    Just do not know if the I will miss the slider. I have mine to the rear max distance.
    Thanks for any information.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Carl,
    If you do not mind and to save me going through your thread, how do you have your seats mounted.
    I am 5' 11" and feel like I might be sitting slightly higher than you appear in your car.
    I am contemplating, pulling the slider on my side and mounting to the floor with a little angle.
    Just do not know if the I will miss the slider. I have mine to the rear max distance.
    I have mine mounted directly to the floor. On the DS, I have a 1.5" lift using some spacers over the bolts in the front and flat in the rear to give it that slight tilt back. They are about 1/2" away from the back wall at their closest point. On the PS, I have about a 2.5" lift in front and 1" lift in the rear. This is for my short friends so they can see over the dash... but you do not really see the difference unless you are specifically looking for it.

55. Thanks Railroad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Carl,
    Have you considered the Breeze seat mounts? The put the rear of the seat on the floor, the front elevated about 2", and give you about 3" of front to back adjustability. The front to back isn't slider "convenient", but allows you to reposition the seat without drilling new holes in the floor.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast