Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  152
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl's 20th Anniversary #8690 - Graduated... 15,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Installed

So today was windshield day... Actually it went pretty well. I actually followed a couple of other's threads and it really wasn't too bad. Below, I do not really repeat what is in those two threads so IMO it is must reading if you are getting ready to do your windshield. Espically the one from Gumball as he was very detailed in his post. I had a friend over to help me maneuver it around. So to start with, the two threads that I read, reread and then for giggles, read them again and pretty much followed to the letter.
    First one is a post from Paul (EdwardB) on another thread and I quoted it below for quick reference: CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    It's tight on the DS, but as long as you don't block the opening behind the dash, you can reach back in there. One tip that makes installing the windshield a whole bunch easier that I also mentioned in my last build thread. Probably one of the best tips I’ve tried in a long time. Saw it somewhere on one of the forums and tried it for the first time. Instead of just drilling out the 1/2-inch holes in the windshield side bars, drill them 27/64-inch and cut threads with a 1/2-inch x 13 tap. Easy to cut threads in the brass. That way you only have to put in a bolt from one side in each of the holes when mounting and aligning the windshield. Way easier than bolt + nut + wrench on each side while chasing around a moving windshield. When tightened, they're nice and strong. Put a nut and washer on each bolt during final assembly, but before then they hold the windshield solidly during the build.

Second one and the most informative is from (Gumball) CLICK HERE

The biggest thing and I have to tell you that I can not thank EdwardB enough for stressing this in his post, Tap threads into the support bars. It made the install absolutely a breeze and only took me about 30 minutes to drill and tap the 4 holes, worth EVERY MINUTE!!!!!!

So to start off with I completed all of the prep work that is discussed in the second thread listed above. Only thing I did not have to worry about was the edge of my windshield. I found it to be smooth all the way around and not the "chipped" up look as was evident on Gumball's. I did have a couple of the mounting screws that go through the mount frame into the windshield frame that were a tad too long so I adjusted them with the bench grinder. Nothing much, just a couple seconds on each one. Then with the help of a friend, we found that the pre-cut body holes from FF were not exactly correct. So we were able to mark the actual needed area to be cut out of the body and started with that. Once we were able to actually drop the frame bars into the body cutouts, things started to take shape. I found that on the drivers side, the support bar was perfectly flat against the chassis mount. I mean, no gap, no pressure, just sitting perfect. Then I started making measurements and comparing both sides. I found that from the rear door opening, the corner closest to the seat to the bottom of the frame where it dropped into the body was exactly 32" on both sides... perfect so far.... Then I measured from that exact same point up to the top frame screw, 27 1/2" on both sides. Next I marked the holes with a sharpy, of course the passenger side is pretty simple. The Drivers side was not hard, but took a bit of feeling around to find the mounting holes to mark... Done. Good marks, pulled the windshield out removed and center punched the bars and went to the drill press to begin cutting in the 27/64" hole to prepare to tap it to the 1/2" - 13 required... Like I said, DO THIS, You will thank yourself... Next, put the frames back on the windshield (taking note to install the two shorter screws back in their proper holes) and dropped it back onto the body.

As I said the drivers side was flat against the frame mount so it was as easy as putting a washer on the bolt and threading it in finger tight. Then on the PS I found that the bottom hole needed one thick washer and the top hole needed two thick washer to ensure there was no unneeded stress on the windshield. At least it sure seems that way. I tightened down the PS bolts finger tight and then again checked my measurements. I found I was off a bit and loosened up the bolts ever so slightly and found my centered point again with the 32" and 27 1/2" measurements. (FYI, these are my measurements, everyone's could be a bit different and if your planning to install a top, I believe the measurement is to be 27", follow the install manual for that information) Snugged down the bolts, remember, they are threaded into the support bars in the holes that I tapped out. They actually tightened up really nice. Then I was able to thread on some serrated based self locking nuts to lock everything in place. I have not yet put a lock nut on the PS Bottom bolt as the frame bar directly next to the hole is so close that I can not get a nut on the bolt.... Still trying to figure what I'm going to do there. Perhaps just some red Locktite. TBD. And there you have it, a windshield... and what a difference it makes in the look of the car...

Sure, there was a little extra time involved in prep work, but to keep as much stress off of the windshield frame up front I hope will be worth it and prevent my windshield from cracking. Time will tell. Whooo Hoooo!

Oh, Jeff Kleiner, you will have a little extra work to do to clean up the openings in the body where I had to open them up from the FF cutouts... Not too bad, but a little...

Here are some photos I took along the way.

All the parts laid out and ready. I actually was ready to use some of the spacer
    shims from the brakes if needed, but ended up not needing them at all.
    IMG_3114.jpg

And here are the rest of the photos that I took. Again, if you have not read the above two threads, I would highly recommend you do before you install your windshield.
    IMG_3118.jpg IMG_3125.jpg IMG_3127.jpg IMG_3128.jpg IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3129.JPG
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 12-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    .... Perhaps just some red Locktite...
    NO! Please don't!

Oh, Jeff Kleiner, you will have a little extra work to do to clean up the openings in the body where I had to open them up from the FF cutouts... Not too bad, but a little...
    No problem, and not the first

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey B-B-Bad & J-J-Jeffski,

Thanks for posting because I'm exactly at this point and my windshield fits the same way.
    I'm flush against the driver's side and a little off on the passenger's side which will require a couple of washers.
    Again Gents, Thanks For Posting!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    NO! Please don't!

Jeff
    Thought that would get your attention!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like

Doors Installed

Today, after I dealt with the broken windshield wiper motor, I turned my attention to getting the doors hung. It was actually pretty easy and I only did a very little bit of trimming just enough to get the doors to fit. I'll leave the gap setting to the professional... Jeff K.

I started with the PS and followed the build manual. Things went pretty smoothly. Had a little problem with the striker bolt length. It was too long due to the carpeting behind it. I easily cut it off with a hack saw after I determined the number of washers/spacers I needed. Once that was completed, the door latch was installed, again following the build manual's guide. The door is in pretty good alignment. The latch works great and latches easily with either a firm push or of course, a pull on the lever as you close it. Seems to be a nice solid close / latch.

The DS door was a bit more difficult but went on ok. My problem with the DS is that the Striker needs to come outboard about 1/8" -1/4" further than it can. So at the moment, when the door is closed and latched, the top rear of it is actually in about 1/8" too far. I the height of the door seems good on the front and rear. the bottom of the door lined right up on the front end and I had to pull the body out a bit in front of the rear tires. I screwed the body into place from the bottom with two self tapping screws. If the door is only latched into the secondary latch position, the alignment is good. Again, I'll leave it at this point and allow Jeff K to make the proper adjustments when that time comes.

Since I'm going to be driving in Gel Coat for awhile, I'm not extremely concerned if the fit and alignment is not perfect.

Some photos...
    IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3327.jpg IMG_3328.jpg IMG_3331.jpg IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3333.jpg IMG_3334v1.jpg IMG_3335.jpg IMG_3337v1.jpg

6. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad for now Carl! Did you use the laser cut spacers between the door and latch on the driver's side? The driver's side often takes two spacers &/or elongating the striker slot in the chassis to help the top of the door to meet the body...but that's just rainy day work if you're so inclined

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad for now Carl! Did you use the laser cut spacers between the door and latch on the driver's side? The driver's side often takes two spacers &/or elongating the striker slot in the chassis to help the top of the door to meet the body...but that's just rainy day work if you're so inclined

Jeff
    Thanks for the information Jeff. Yes, there is one spacer there. I also used one on the passenger side. I think I may have another spacer in a box of misc parts that I received with my kit from the original owner. I'll look at that when I get out to the garage today. I'll need to pick up some longer screws as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on the interior the past few days. Carpet, Leather (vinyl fake Leather).... I asked around about ways to fill in and seal off the large hole in the side of the Trans Tunnel where the E-Brake Handle mounts. Pretty much the response was don't worry about it. Well I was just not happy with that answer as I can not believe the "stuff" would not be thrown around up under there and in time create a mess. So this is what I came up with to address the problem, at least 98% of the problem. In my next thread entry, I'm going to show my rear wall where I installed some Leather above the carpet. I state this because I have extra leather that I used for this little modification to the E-Brake opening.

Basically, I used the E-Brake boot as a template, cute my leather so that the leather side would be towards the elements inside the trans tunnel. I cut it about 1/2" larger all the way around and found that this worked perfect. Then, I held it up in place to be sure that it was going to cover all of the opening and then marked the arc that the handle would be making so that I could cut out the slot for the handle to move within. I also drew a dotted line to indicate where I need it to fold 90* onto the floor as the opening cuts into the floor also. Once I was happy with that, I used 3M 77 Glue, same as I'm using for the carpet, and attached it to the side of the tunnel with the handle coming through the arc slot that I cut. I pushed it into the tunnel just enough so that all of the handle mechanisms were clear and not rubbing. I really think that this is going to do a great job. For me it is a bit of insurance from general debris, and heaven forbid I'm caught out in the rain, water from getting to the back side of the carpet.

The fake leather is from JoAnne's Fabric and is the Artic Vinyl and is designed for Snowmobile Seats, good down to negitive 30*, UV protected and flame retardant.

Here are some photos in chronological order:
    Attachment 98369 Attachment 98370 Attachment 98371 Attachment 98372 Attachment 98373 Attachment 98374 Attachment 98375
    Great idea with the e brake cover. Mind if I copy?
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

10. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl
    There is so much info on this forum thatt i can’t keep up. Im glad I just came across and read through your thread. Thanks for sharing
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

12. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Great idea with the e brake cover. Mind if I copy?
    LOL... If I said yes, I mind and you did it anyway, would I ever know...... Sure, if this helps you, please by all means use it...

Post Thanks / Like

Mirrors - Wind Wings - Sun Visor

Today I got to install some accessories. I installed the interior and DS mirrors as well as the Sun Visors and Wind Wings. The Mirrors and Wind Wings went on just as the instructions from FFR dictated. The Sun Visors required a slight modification. According to a post from Jeff Kleiner a while ago, the small screw holes in the windshield frame get filled with chrome and thus make it very hard/impossible to install the 6-32 screws. In fact I guess that many people use metric screws. Well, I followed the post from Jeff Kleiner and purchased some square nuts and slide them into the "track" at the top of the windshield frame. This worked really well and I used a small amount of blue loctite on the screws to insure I do not have an issue in the future. So, I did have a little problem with the square nuts and sliding them in. The nuts that I got seemed to be just a little thick to slide into the track so I had to take them all to my bench grinder and just add a small bevel to the two sides that slide under the lip of the windshield frame. Once I did this, the nuts slide in just fine and everything tightened down exactly as expected.

Here is a LINK to Jeff Kleiners thread about the sun screen mounting modification. Super Simple....

Here are some photos.... I left the protective paper on the wind wings and sun visors for now. I did remove the paper around the screws and brackets.
    IMG_3346.JPG IMG_3347.JPG IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3350.JPG IMG_3352.jpg IMG_3362.JPG IMG_3363.JPG IMG_3355.jpg IMG_3361.jpg IMG_3358.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

133 days... So Far...

And so 133 days ago (Aug 19th 2018) I began my Factory Five 20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster. Number 8 of 20. I had an internal mindset that I could have it completed (minus paint) by March 2019. Well other than installing my headers/side pipes that are going to be here next week and the license plate holder, I've completed well before my planned completion date. I can't wait until I get those headers and hit the road... (oh, DMV may slow things just a little bit, but not much)

Earlier today I was just walking around and around the car; admiring all the work as well as looking for something else to do.

I know that there will always be little things to do, but that is what rainy days are going to be for. Even though it is still up on jack stands, here are some photos of what I have accomplished in the past 133 days...

IMG_0155.jpg IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0154.jpg IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg IMG_0152.jpg

16. Likes PeteMeindl, Drezx6r liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great job, Carl! Congrats on what you've built.

18. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job Carl! You certainly give inspiration that every car can have a finish line for completion. Nice work!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like

Some minor work completed

While I'm awaiting my new headers to arrive and title from DMV I'm continuing to work on some of the little things left to do.

Over the past few days I brushed up the aluminum cover plates for inside the trunk and installed the Fuel Tank sender unit and fuel pump covers. I'll wait to install the battery cover plate for when I'm done disconnecting the negative terminal all the time... Long time back, before I sprayed the Lizard Skin Sound control, I installed 10-32 nutserts for these panels. I will most likely finish the trunk with carpet at some point, but for now it is just the Lizard Skin and the shinny brushed aluminum. The aluminum also has 3 coats of Shark Skin on them.

I also installed the wiring for the tag light and have also taped in place the LED strip that came with the kit as a courtesy light onto the trunk lid. There is a nice ridge that is molded into the lid of the trunk that I will permanently stick the LED strip to once the paint is completed. Until then, it is just going to be held in place with some clear tape. I'll have this light wired to the tail/tag lights. This way, when those lights are on, the trunk light will be on. I may / may not install some kind of either motion switch or simple on off switch. I really don't care if the light is on in the trunk all the time. I'm very pleased with how much that little LED strip lights up the trunk.

I'm not sure if I posted this before, but I have also installed Red LED light strips over each foot box for the interior convenience lights. The are wired to the appropriate wire in the RF Harness and go on when you turn the headlight knob to the extreme counter clockwise position.

Here are some photos...
    Interior Lighting.JPG Christmas Present 2.JPG IMG_3420.jpg LED Trunk Light.jpg IMG_3419.jpg IMG_3421.jpg IMG_3424.jpg IMG_3505.jpg IMG_3499v1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Headers Installed - Gel Coat Driving Immanent

Receive the last set of fully assembled test headers today. These are stainless steel, 3" bolt pattern headers. I'll be using these for a while to be sure that everything is just right and then in the near future I'll be receiving my final set that will be fully polished. It looks like the fit is just about perfect, only a very minor tweak needs to be done during the assembly of the final permanent set. Once completely confirmed, there will be a new option available for MK4 Builders with the BluePrint Engines 302/Aluminum Head engines. More information will be available soon.

So for now, I've installed the side pipes and everything looks great... (The Compound 302 Polish should be here on Monday and the side pipes will be shined up and I'll hopefully get the brown off of them, waiting for amazon)

Planning to also install some vinyl striping to the body to add some jazz to it until it gets sent off to Jeff K next fall.

I've sent all the papers in to the DMV for the title and am just in the waiting stage for that....

Driver's side:
    IMG_3556.JPG IMG_3557.jpg IMG_3558.JPG IMG_3559.jpg

Passenger's side:
    IMG_3522.jpg IMG_3560.JPG IMG_3525.JPG

Final Set of Test Headers:
    IMG_3520.jpg IMG_3561.jpg IMG_3566.JPG
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 01-12-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added photos

22. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who Knew Gel Coat Could Look So Good!

Ok, exhaust system installed and it's down on all fours.... Today I rolled this thing out of the garage and took some photos... Then took it for a drive around the neighborhood. I would have put 100 miles on it if I could have. I settled for about 3. My next step is to get the alignment completed professionally and hope for the DMV Title/Registration this week. I did not want to tear up the tires or get a ticket. So for now, just a big grin. Who knew Gel Coat could look so good!!!

IMG_3572.jpg IMG_3575.jpg IMG_3577.jpg IMG_3582.jpg IMG_3584.jpg IMG_3586.jpg IMG_3581.jpg IMG_3580.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl-

She looks great! Nicely done. So, are we going to run a pool to see how many miles you put on her between now and when you send her to Jeff for paint?

I agree with you that she looks great in gel coat. I may be doing the same thing as you. I think it makes sense to drive in gel coat, just as a shake down period.

Congratulations on a terrific job!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Carl-

She looks great! Nicely done. So, are we going to run a pool to see how many miles you put on her between now and when you send her to Jeff for paint?

I agree with you that she looks great in gel coat. I may be doing the same thing as you. I think it makes sense to drive in gel coat, just as a shake down period.

Congratulations on a terrific job!

Regards,

Steve
    I guess that would mean I would have to hook up the GPS Speedo... Shhhhhh :-}

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job on getting her done. You made quick work of it. I bet you will put a lot of miles on her over the summer before paint. I was in gel coat legally driving for two months before sending off to paint. Put 500 miles on mine and that was just driving (long way) to work a few times and short spirited drives.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

28. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, Carl. To think you just received the car 5 months ago and are already done (are they ever really, though?!?) is truly impressive. If you feel inclined to stretch her legs a bit when you're legit, drive on up to NoVA - there's a few of us up here just getting started. Congrats on hitting this milestone!
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

30. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Who knew Gel Coat could look so good!!!
    Nearly All Of Us Will Eventually Find Out The Joy Of Gel Coat!

Congratulation From The Who-Dat Nation!

32. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel Coat Driver - WINNER

Today was what I can really call my first day out with the roadster. Sure, I've done a couple 2-4 mile drives around my immediate neighborhood, but today, I put 40 miles on the car. LOVED every second of it. I was able to get a good feel for the car and test out the heated seats, heater and the cruise control. All works well. The cruise control does need one minor setting change on the gain and it should be good to go.

Then I finished out the night by taking the car to a Cruise In at the Sonic in Monks Corner, SC. This was hosted by the Low Country Muscle Car club. They have their "Ride of the Month" gathering every 3rd Saturday and the staff at the Sonic pick their favorite car and crown it the "Ride of the Month". You guessed it, Factory Five Roadster #8690 took home the honors on her maiden trip out of the Cobra Cabana where it's been being built for the past 5 months.

IMG_3697.jpg IMG_3700.JPG IMG_3701.jpg IMG_2637.JPG IMG_2641.JPG

Oh, and I can not confirm or deny the accuracy of the "Memory" on my spedo from one of my fun drives today on some back country road here in the SC low country... Now if I could only get the DMV to send me a title and registration, I would not have to look in my mirror so much.....
    IMG_3694.JPG

34. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Carl! I can't wait to get mine out on the open road.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

36. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, Carl! Awesome! Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great job in the first five months Carl. I’m sure you’ll get many more before fall when it goes off to paint. Congrats. These are very fun cars. Did you decide on a color? Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

39. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Carl! Next award you win make sure you are wearing “the hat” ��

41. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Great job in the first five months Carl. I’m sure you’ll get many more before fall when it goes off to paint. Congrats. These are very fun cars. Did you decide on a color? Jim
    All I know at this point is it will be a red with gray stripe. I'm looking at different reds, and so far the Mazda Soul Red Crystal it getting my vote and some kind of a darker gray... Time will tell as well as $$$
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 01-21-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was what I can really call my first day out with the roadster. Sure, I've done a couple 2-4 mile drives around my immediate neighborhood, but today, I put 40 miles on the car. LOVED every second of it. I was able to get a good feel for the car and test out the heated seats, heater and the cruise control. All works well. The cruise control does need one minor setting change on the gain and it should be good to go.

Then I finished out the night by taking the car to a Cruise In at the Sonic in Monks Corner, SC. This was hosted by the Low Country Muscle Car club. They have their "Ride of the Month" gathering every 3rd Saturday and the staff at the Sonic pick their favorite car and crown it the "Ride of the Month". You guessed it, Factory Five Roadster #8690 took home the honors on her maiden trip out of the Cobra Cabana where it's been being built for the past 5 months.

IMG_3697.jpg IMG_3700.JPG IMG_3701.jpg IMG_2637.JPG IMG_2641.JPG

Oh, and I can not confirm or deny the accuracy of the "Memory" on my spedo from one of my fun drives today on some back country road here in the SC low country... Now if I could only get the DMV to send me a title and registration, I would not have to look in my mirror so much.....
    IMG_3694.JPG
    Congrats, Carl. The first of many awards I'm sure.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

44. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations you made quick work of your build!
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

46. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlights dim

The other night I was adjusting my headlights and realized that the passenger side was significantly dimmer than the drivers side. I remember as I was building things and running the wiring that one side or the other of the RF harness had a smaller gauge wire going to the headlights. I'm guessing it is the passenger side. Has anyone had this same type of issue? I've not had the chance to get under the body and actually look at the wiring yet. I was also going to swap the headlight bulbs just to be sure it is not the headlight itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Betcha it'll be a ground issue.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Betcha it'll be a ground issue.

Jeff
    Yes, I'm going to be looking at that as well..

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Problem found - Bad Headlight

The other night I was adjusting my headlights and realized that the passenger side was significantly dimmer than the drivers side. I remember as I was building things and running the wiring that one side or the other of the RF harness had a smaller gauge wire going to the headlights. I'm guessing it is the passenger side. Has anyone had this same type of issue? I've not had the chance to get under the body and actually look at the wiring yet. I was also going to swap the headlight bulbs just to be sure it is not the headlight itself.
    Today I had a chance to do a little trouble shooting and here is what I found out. First thing I did was check my weather pack connections, just wiggled them around a bit to see if that was the problem. No change, the passenger side light was still dim. I also double checked to be sure that both of the bulbs had both low and high beams working. They did. So next, I just swapped out the two bulbs. The bulb that was dim on the PS was also dim on the DS and the other one was just as bright as before... So there is my problem, the bulb is bad... So next I looked at them for the part numbers...

This photo shows what both have on them, they are both marked as exactly the same.
    IMG_3822.jpg

But take a look at the actual Halogen bulbs inside the headlights. The one with the "blue" coloring is the dim bulb and the clear one is the one that is bright. It's like when the bulb assembly was put together, the person doing it grabbed the wrong bulb to install. So I guess it's just going to be the purchase of a new headlight fixture to fix the problem. Fingers crossed that is all it will take.

Dim Bulb
    IMG_3819.jpg

Bright Bulb
    IMG_3821.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it was that simple Carl!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went out the other night and bought a pair of Sylvania H6024 Silver Star Halogen headlights. Tonight was the first chance I had to pull the car out and adjust them. Man, these are bright and right. I also took the car around the block a couple times checking the high beams/low beams and they really seem to be good. Oh, and I may have,.... no,,,, I did romp on it with the intent to break loose the rear tires.... easy... No Problem!!! Good times... Now, if SC will just send me a title.... Ugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl,

You passed up a good reason to convert to H4 bulbs! Glad you resolved the issue.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

1st Extended Drive - Out of my immediate neighborhood.

Let me start out by saying that I fully understand and agree with everyone about the use of the full seat belt harness installed in my roadster. I'm a guy that ALWAYS wears his seat belt in my DD and expect everyone in my car to do the same. On this day described below I was originally planning to take my friend around the block. In my neighborhood, this is about 1 mile of driving; not over 35-40 MPH max and on a very low traveled road. But just after leaving the driveway, the plan changed and I went ahead and drove a bit further. My mistake was not putting on the full harness in the first place, and my second was not stopping and putting them on once I changed my mind to go a bit further. Please, if you are reading this or watching my video know that it is never OK to drive this type of vehicle without the use of a full restraint system. I want to also thank the few that called me out on this.

So about a week ago I had the chance to take the cobra out for a bit of an extended run. This was the same day that I had taken it out to the little cruise in where I won the "car of the month" award.... Here is a video of about an 18 mile "leisurely" drive. I was really trying to get a feel for the steering and the cruise control. The Cruise Control is still not reacting just right, but I'm certain it is just adjustments on the "dip" switches. The steering seems really ok, I'm still wondering about the self centering, but as I drive it, it seems really reactive and right. Perhaps it's just me and I need to get use to the different feel from my front wheel drive focus. Time will tell.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 02-20-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats pretty cool. Nice video. Cant wait till I catch up to ya. But I gotta say... no shoulder belts?!?! There isnt 1 thing I wanna smack my face on in that car.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast