Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  152

Thread: Carl's 20th Anniversary #8690 - Graduated... 15,000 miles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield

Ok.... today I woke up with the plan in mind to install the windshield. I reviewed the build manual, all 3 lines of instructions for this task.... also reviewed a few build threads. Then unpacked everything.
    IMG_2609.jpg

Next, I found that the pre-cut openings for the support bars were not even close to being wide enough for the bars to fit so I had to open them up a bit. Easy with a drimal tool and vacuum. Of course it is my understanding that they should actually be angled outward as looking from the rear, and these are not. But one thing I'm not so sure about is the side to side location of the openings. I guess that the windshield is not "center" on the body side to side. These two photos show the location of the pre cut holes from FFR. Notice their location in comparison to the mold split lines... I guess that I'm assuming the mold lines are centered. I can see that the support bars seem to lay flat against their mounting locations when in the openings.
    IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2611.jpg

Next I quickly realized that the support bars needed to be cut off some... took about 2 inches off of each one. Then remembered that I needed to move my ground bolt that I had on the windshield mount plate next to the fuse box. Ugh, that was not fun with the body on, but I did it. Relocated it and all is good in the universe.

Ground Bolt.jpg

Then I decided that until I learn a little bit more about the installation of the windshield (side to side location, shims needed, etc, etc, etc) and found someone to assist that I would just pack it all back into the box and move on to something different. I mean, who needs a windshield anyways...

I'm really thinking that I should stop putting things on the body and take the body back off and do the undercoating first. Also need to tackle the side pipe openings as they need some modification.
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 11-18-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby