Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake reservoir?

Post Thanks / Like

Brake reservoir?

I'm using three of the FFR supplied chrome reservoirs (One supplied with the complete kit and two purchased). One is for the clutch, one for the front brakes and one for the rear brakes. My question is will I be able to put them on the square steel tube in front of the DS foot box and have plenty of clearance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I'm using three of the FFR supplied chrome reservoirs (One supplied with the complete kit and two purchased). One is for the clutch, one for the front brakes and one for the rear brakes. My question is will I be able to put them on the square steel tube in front of the DS foot box and have plenty of clearance?
    I made a alum plate attached to upper 1/2 square tube drivers side. Will send a picture if I can figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I made a pair of brackets to hold my Triple Reservoir on the square tubes.
    It mounts on the upper and lower to reduce vibration issues and can be viewed between 20-35 seconds into the video.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Remember that the reservoirs MUST be higher than your master cylinders since we all know that fluids like to flow down hill.
    Also, be very cognoscente of the location so that they don't interfere with the body or hood.

Good Luck & Wrench On Brother, Wrench On!

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the same 3 reservoirs on an alum angle. Drilling for 3 is critical to maintain equal spacing and height. With the mounting screws going into the bottom of the square frame tube, I am able to space it down with shims, if it interferes with the body. The top of the reservoirs is about the only thing higher than the master cylinders, thus the reservoirs need to be kept full. My reservoirs are the old style and the caps are unvented. I have a source for some small check valves, that I hope are adaptable to the caps.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all of you. I was wondering if aluminum would work as well a a steel plate. GoDadGo, did you fasten your bracket top and bottom or just top?

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum works fine. This bracket is 1/8" alum.

The body overlaps the 3/4" tube so you will want to mount the reservoirs so there is 3/4" - 1" spacing between the edge of the caps and the 3/4" tube. Mine were a little too close to the body so I spaced them out a bit further after this photo was taken.

Keep the top of the caps flush or within 1/4" of the top of the 3/4" tube and you'll be good.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

8. Thanks SuperFlyBriBri thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to put a damper on things but I had that style of reservoir and changed them out to the larger diameter, newer style ones that have a circumference mounting ring. With the previous ones the outlet elbows pointed in all directions when I tightened them sufficiently to stop the leaks. The same happened with the newer ones but they can be rotated to align the elbows all in the same direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like these, they look like something that came out of a car from the 60's. Were did you get them?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecobr View Post
    Not to put a damper on things but I had that style of reservoir and changed them out to the larger diameter, newer style ones that have a circumference mounting ring. With the previous ones the outlet elbows pointed in all directions when I tightened them sufficiently to stop the leaks. The same happened with the newer ones but they can be rotated to align the elbows all in the same direction.
    I have the new ones also. The rings take up a little more space pushing the bracket toward the 20" limit of the radiator mount. The rings can be overlapped since the reservoirs can be leveled inside the rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the size of the cap? I want to put a cap on to pressurize the line to bleed them.
    Thanks all!!
    Craig M

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Steve,
    I was looking for the FF reservoirs.
    Craig M