BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote coolant expansion.

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote coolant expansion.

Somewhere here I saw someone had found and posted the coolant expansion space needed for coyote. I know this amount changes depending on temp. I am about to design mine and need that number to ensure I have enough space. Does anyone remember it or have an idea where I might have seen it? Thanks guys.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,t know the exact volume, but the FFR supplied expansion tank is too small. I purchased a larger similar design from Sumitt. All good
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Don,t know the exact volume, but the FFR supplied expansion tank is too small. I purchased a larger similar design from Sumitt. All good
    Do you have a link or know the volume of it?

Also, where did you mount it?

Thanks
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounted on the inside passenber side F panel as per the FFR instructions. Its out of the way and is less cluttered.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you’re a roadster. I forgot this was not the hot rod forum lol. Thanks man.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The expansion volume is calculated from several variables and will not be a one size fits all number. Just because you have a Coyote and someone else has one in a different application does not mean the expansion volumes will be the same.

I calculated mine for my HR using SBC power based on the min / max temps I expect to see, the system volume, and the coefficient of expansion for the coolant I'm running. I came up with 30.1oz. I generally add a 10% fudge factor on these numbers so I planned my coolant expansion to be a bit over 33 oz or slightly over 1-quart. Yours will be different as your minimum operating temps will be much higher than mine where winters can get well below zero and your system capacity is not likely to be the same as mine.

So, if you want to get a more exact number you have to calculate expansion for your particular application. If you want to source an overflow recovery tank that should capture all your expanded coolant you can use my 33oz and add an whatever safety factor you feel comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ, my brother came up with similar (actually 24 oz plus a safety factor). I generally come up with the weird idea and he works out the math. I’m production and he’s mechanical engineer lol.

Anyway, we’ve figured out that with 1 gallon of headspace, there is plenty of expansion room even if the expansion tank isn’t vented. I will probably put a 4 psi cap on it. That, combined with the return going in under he coolant level to prevent the intercooler draining down as the motor coolant system contracts on cool down and draws that volume back in, should work perfectly. I’m going to have a tank built and give it a shot when the time comes.

I just looked back up and realized this isn’t the thread about the radiator “overflow” going into the return off the intercooler from supercharger system so that it’s resevoir acts as expansion tank for the motor also.
    '33 Hot Rod

MK4 Roadster