Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RonJon24’s Build Thread #9460: Inventory Complete

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

RonJon24’s Build Thread #9460: Inventory Complete

Hello everyone!

I would like to start my build thread, it is a little early since I just put my order in a couple weeks ago, but I am excited to get started. My build is planned to be picked up from FFR on 10/26.

I decided to do the donor car with the Base Kit. I owned an ‘88 (upgraded EFI to ‘89) Mustang GT Hatch, it was a complete POS aside from the powertrain that I rebuilt in college.

‘88 Mustang GT Upgrades (for which I remember):
    - Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads, Cam (Stage 1), and Intake
    - 100 shot Plate system from TrickFlow (w/mini controller)
    - 24# Injectors
    - Summit Ignition Box
    - Cold Air Intake (from RH Quarter Panel box)
    - Removed A/C, Removed EGR
    - 5-way KONI adjustable shocks
    - Tubular Upper/Lower Rear Control Arms
    - 3.55 gears
    - Rebuilt (upgraded 2nd/3rd) Tremec T5
    - ...Many other small items

My plan is to take the good things that I have upgraded on the Mustang from the above and use that as a base for my Roadster. At least get something out of that old project car! Here are some pictures of the care gutted!

18C62030-CB5D-439C-BB68-56C1C04B98C3.jpg83661637-3078-4AB6-B861-5CA74E66CA41.jpgAC978498-8AA2-45D7-BD91-539D29DC1A0F.jpg5FC96F70-EBCF-4B5A-981E-507C6475C1CA.jpeg2A66F5A5-FC0D-4333-B615-CDCDB7E2A3C7.jpg

I think the build will probably take me more than a year so my target to to have a go-kart by the end of next summer and hopefully the car done by the summer of 2020, worst case it leaks into 2021.

Where I am at right now
    I am currently tearing down my old 302 that I rebuilt in college and cleaning everything up for painting the engine. Boy-oh-boy did I make a ton of mistakes back then. I barely cleaned the parts before painting them, causing almost all of the paint to come off the aluminum timing chain cover, and look absolutely terrible. Same thing for the T5 bell housing (why I painted that I have no idea).

So my plan for the engine is to keep everything internally the same, just clean it up and paint it properly. Maybe slightly controversial, but I really hate the look of aluminum mixed with painted components on the engine, so through my research I am planning to paint all of the aluminum with a solid etching and a base conversion coating (Alodine). Then I will prime the engine with Eastwood High Temp 2K Primer and paint with Eastwood High Temp 2K Gloss Black. Because of difficulty getting to spots, I am going to paint with the lower intake off, paint that and the upper separately as well as some other small components. Everything I think paint will not be good for, I am going to have blasted and powder coated gloss black.

Everything on the Engine will be gloss black! Trying to give it a mean look!

Really working to get the engine painted before I go pick-up the kit! Want to have this thing be a showpiece in the corner of the garage to motivate me to get to that point in the build!
    Last edited by RonJon24; 08-22-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    MkIV Roadster Base Kit ordered #9460, Picked Up on 10/26/2018
    5.0L, T5, 3.73 Ratio 8.8 Rear End...nitrous plate system (shhhh)

Toyota Engineer looking to turn my college project car, 1988 Ford Mustang GT...flat black...not a nice vehicle, into a awesome machine to tear up the streets, strip, and track!!