BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Who's done a urethane protective covering

Post Thanks / Like

Who's done a urethane protective covering

The car is just about complete. I'm looking into having a clear vinyl coating done on the front section as well as the rear forward facing fender areas. (maybe even along the tops of the doors where I seem to hang my arm).

Who's had that done? How long does it hold up? Is it worth it? Disadvantages?

TIA.
    Last edited by boat737; 08-24-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it on my 911. I really like it. Keep in mind most the materials now need to come off and be reapplied after 5-6 years. My film is self healing and really does a nice job protecting the car.

I looked into it for the Cobra. The main problem is most the installers use pre cut kits for specific cars. There is no such kit for our Cobras so you are looking at a full custom cut and application. After speaking with my installer who does nothing but high end cars and has an amazing reputation he said the curves at the front of the car would make the job a nightmare with no pre cut kit. You really need to make sure of the quality of the installers skills or it may not end up looking to great.

I needed up ordering some material from Ebay and installed just some straight pieces around the bottom opening on the nose and in front of the rear wheels. You can not see it unless yo really get down and look for the seem. I figured that was the most vulnerable area. 5500 miles in the rest of the front end still looks like new.
    I would absolutely 100% put something in front of the rear wheels. That area of my film takes a beating.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the forward facing areas of the rear fenders done a month ago. Works so far, can't see it unless you look really close. Cost me $175 Canadian for the shop to cut and apply the two pieces for the rear fenders.

Wade

4. Thanks RR20AC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The stuff is quite easy to self apply in front of the rear wheels. Just buy some XPEL film from Amazon in the size roil you need and cut to fit yourself for that area.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    The stuff is quite easy to self apply in front of the rear wheels. Just buy some XPEL film from Amazon in the size roil you need and cut to fit yourself for that area.
    Thanks Scott & Wade. Yeah, I was thinking that the front clip, with ALL those curves, would be a challenge to do, at least to do and make it look presentable. I've watched a couple YouTube videos, and thought about attempting myself, but the cutting/trimming still looks challenging.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ordered mine from Amazon. Have it on the front where auto-x cones may hit. (Worked). Rear spats are done along with the top of the passenger door. Easy to make a pattern out of blue tape. Tape off the area and the pull the area piece off and place it on the 3m product. Perfect size every time.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my car repainted two years ago. It had lots of road rash on the nose of the car; the lower you looked, the worse it was. Upon completion of the paint job and after a few weeks cure time, I had a local shop install Xpel film over the front of the car as well as on the fronts of the rear fenders and along the tops of the doors.

After two years and approx. 7,000 miles I'm very happy with the film and would do it again. It's done its job and has protected the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I have it on my 911. I really like it. Keep in mind most the materials now need to come off and be reapplied after 5-6 years. My film is self healing and really does a nice job protecting the car.
    Did the dealer have it done or was it a DIY? My daughters 911 had it as a final deal closer by the dealer. Don't know the product name but its worked out well.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 3M film on the rear spat areas. It works well. Not too hard to put on. I tape my front up for autocross. I have plenty of road rash on the front down low. But, I drive it a lot.

Disadvantages:
    1. You really shouldn't put anything on fresh paint for at least 3 months. The paint needs to outgas.
    2. It doesn't last forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Disadvantages:

2. It doesn't last forever.
    I was afraid someone was going to say that. At this point in my life, I just hope everything I buy now will out last me.

The paint was shot about 2 1/2 months ago now. I haven't even washed it yet, but it's getting to be about that time now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Did the dealer have it done or was it a DIY? My daughters 911 had it as a final deal closer by the dealer. Don't know the product name but its worked out well.
    Dealer has a guy they use. I used him. I sure as heck wasn't attempting a DIY on a new 911 lol. It wasn't part of the deal though. I paid for it.

13. Thanks BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to be in the business. Make sure the product you buy is NOT vinyl. The quality products are urethane. There is some vinyl product out there and you want to stay far far away from it. 3M paint protection film and XPEL are both urethane.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

15. Thanks boat737, BEAR-AvHistory thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I used to be in the business. Make sure the product you buy is NOT vinyl. The quality products are urethane. There is some vinyl product out there and you want to stay far far away from it. 3M paint protection film and XPEL are both urethane.
    Thanks Mike. Did not know there was difference, or a urethane product. I changed the thread title.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Thanks Mike. Did not know there was difference, or a urethane product. I changed the thread title.
    There are companies selling a vinyl based product. All are begging for trouble. I've been out of it for a while. Hopefully they all go out of business.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!