Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: APE hardtop instruction docs?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question APE hardtop instruction docs?

Anyone have a set of APE hardtop instructions for installing the top?
    Electronic form would be great.

I have left messages with Mike, the new owner.
    Most I have figured out, but wanted to see what the original plan was from what Craig had designed.
    Yes I have looked at the older Vette hardware which looks really good!

I have a plan (a work in progress) to install the hardtop and still allow the older soft top to be used on the car too (NOT at the same time ) .
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    As best as I can remember the sides were held to the side of the body w/ a latch similar to this.
    https://www.protex.com/18-2204MSZN-s...te-silver-blue
    with a small piece like this on the body
    https://www.protex.com/02-613MSZN-Ca...te-Silver-Blue
    I never used it so my memory may be off a bit. I use the old Vette hardware w/ a longer bolt.
    I use the supplied hardware at the top of the windshield
    th_wsmnt2-1 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    What specifically do you want to know?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitby's version used two SS ferules (threaded inside and outside) to hold the rear.
    The windshield attachment was the traditional "over center latches" mounted to the windshield post and attached with a 1/2"x 6" SS strip mounted to the top.

I can take photos if they help.

Do you need my plans for the roll around PVC storage rack?
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was considering taking the "channel" bows from the older soft tops, removing the pins out of the channel bows, and then fastening them into the top. Then use the same clamps, as the softtop to attach the front of the top to the windscreen frame. I was looking into using the early Vette hardware to fasten down the back.

I have 2 spare sets of the "channel" bows and you can get them from Whitby if needed too.

I have lift-a-dot pins - threaded ones, that I'm going to use with a rivet-nut (I have large fender washers that will be on the underside of the rivet-nut to give even more strength) to allow a way for the hardtop to install, no lift-a-dot pins in the way, and still during the summer have a softtop as needed when the hardtop is off.

Mostly I was looking for ways to easily fasten the back of the top to the car.
    Ralph Button

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the instructions from APE. PM me and I can text pics of them and my mods to you. Sorry technology challenged. You are welcome to share.
    Wayne

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thanks Wayne Send you my email.
    I think I have worked out a way to do what I would like to do.
    Just checking what Craig originally designed and then what others have done.

The if I can just find some snowtires I'll be ready for winter in the Northeast!
    Ralph Button

Post Thanks / Like
    I am finally getting around to installing my top and am in the same boat - no instructions and need pics.

Mainly need to see how the front windshield attachment works. Would love a copy of the instructions if you still have them Wayne

Thanks
    Greg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Greg,
    I'm working on a slightly different install. In the front using the same basic process that you would use for the softtop. I also have the directions for the original design APE hard top install that I'll scan in and convert to PDF tonight if that will help.
    Basically the original system is to using a bracket to hook on to where your sunvisors mount, using the sunvisor bracket - after the sun visors are removed.
    Talking with Jeff at Whitby he has a set of ferrals that are threaded in the bottom of them. Threading a rod to extend up and then drilling a hole in the bottom of the hardtop to position over the rod, for the back of the hardtop - then use the original large clamps to hold the top, also helps with the side curtains sealing up around the door.
    I also have installed blind nuts in the body to thread in the pins for the soft top, this way the pins can be removed and threaded in later.
    I'm working on some pictures of what I'm going to try. My idea is to allow the hardtop to be on the car for winter driving then store the top and switch to the soft top for the summer as needed.
    If I get this to work well you would need only the large clamps from the original hard top install and from Jeff a set of the front softtop bows and the hardware that clamps the top to the windscreen frames. Also if you have a soft top then aluminum rivet-nut plain finish 8-32 x .010-.075blind nuts, lift-the-dot #8-32 x 3/8" machine screw stud and a blind nut tool - Harbor Freight has the tool and the blind nuts.

I now have a second set of rims and some all season tires on my car so ready for light snow ... no way I'm going to deal with 2-4 feet of the snow with my car, but an inch or so, easy on the throttle and it's not too bad with the limited slip! I grew up in the northeast so learned to drive in snow long before awd cars appeared. Ya the aluminum is going to get salt stains on it but it sure will be fun again driving in the snow with no 4x4 or awd. I'll have to keep it washed down. The worse that can happen is I take the body off and do a rebuilt once more - which would be a fun project! Ya I could ding up the car but a deer has already tried that and the Mark I took the hit and kept on running!

Also Phil has a great portable - using pcv pipe system - to store the hardtop!
    Last edited by R. Button; 12-30-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    Ralph Button

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph-

I think y'all will be happy having the hard and soft tops. Many moons ago, I had an MGB with both a hard and soft top, and loved the flexibility! I used them exactly as you describe in your plan, and it worked very well.

Not that you need my affirmation, but I thought at least I should share my positive experience with you. Good luck with the new hardtop, and I look forward to seeing some pictures!

Maybe you can finally start logging a few miles on the Roadster now too, since I know how sparingly you drive the her now! ;o-) HA!!

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of my Sunday School youths from two years ago (now at the AF Academy) coming over this week to let him drive the car. Expecting he will be most comfortable if wel remove the hardtop and store it in the rack for the day. Really just a 2-3 minute, one man activity (balancing it on my head and upending it into the rack).

Earlier today SHE and I did the Google map search from here in the Upstate of SC to Niagara Falls. 11 hours. For us that is a two day trip with stops. For Ralph a day!. We will see what 2019 holds for us. Not getting any younger but still just as exciting to begin thinking about another road trip.

Phillip
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post APE OEM Hardtop Dicoment

Here is a link for the OEM APE Hardtop install

http://rbutton.com/files/data/APEHardtop.pdf

Steve - NC is in the plans for this summer and as Philip notes above planning the trips has become great fun... discovering locations along the way with google map. We never had those kind of choices just a few years ago. I had a PocketPC running a basic GPS program. No smart phones with instant weather and routes to a nearby gas station or food stop!
    Last edited by R. Button; 12-31-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    Ralph Button

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't happy w/ the rear latches that came w/ mine so I use some old Corvette pieces.
    https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1956-1975.html
    Throw out the bolt and get a longer one. Common 1/4 coarse thread size. W/ the top off you see the flange of the body insert that is about the size of two nickels.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ralph - exactly what I was needing!

Doing all of this in gel coat before sending it off to Kleiner when my name comes up so hesitant to do much fiberglass trimming out of fear of messing it up for him........ But at least I know how to secure it now.

Phil - can you send me your PVC plans? PM sent

Thanks
    Greg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig, yes am doing a mixed of the vette top hardware install with using the Whitby ferrels in the body that are used for the soft top but are threaded in the bottom of them. So I can thread in a rod that sticks up into the top and positions it to help seal around the door "windows". I'll post pics soon.
    Ralph Button

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, E-mail and attachment sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    got it - you rock - thanks

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here are some pictures of what I'm working on for the Hardtop install.
    After I looked at the design of the early vette hardtop install, that Craig mentioned, I'm using what I did not know I had until I spoke with Jeff at Whitby Motorcars but functions generally the same as the vette hardtop installs.

The usual ferrules are the same size hole all the way through the ferrule, BUT Jeff designed his to be threaded at the bottom of them. This way they are used for the soft top support arms, the pull out the soft top support arms, thread in a rod and install the hard top!
    ferrules2.jpg ferrules.jpg ferrules3.jpg ferrules5.jpg

The first image is two ferrules bottom one being Jeff's, second picture you can see that at the bottom of Jeff's ferrules is a smaller diameter hole - threaded. In the third picture I have a threaded rod threaded into the ferrule. And the last picture shows it on the car. On the bottom of the hard top I'll drill a hole for the rod to go into when the top is placed on the car. I'll have cut the rod down to size as it will not be nearly that long! I may use the vette clamps that Craig mentioned or the rear clamps that came with the hard top. The vette hardware is much more polished, the other is just functional.

My whole purpose is to have the hardtop in the winter and the soft top for the summer. So I'm trying to make the hard top install much like the original soft tops.
    Ralph Button

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the additional vette hardware I was looking at BUT not sure I'm willing to pay out that much for polished and shinny!

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1956-1962.html
    Ralph Button