Well as the title says, I am standing in my undies asking a dumb question........

I have always owned European cars and they like to run on high Octane petrol (or as you guys call it...gas), and here in New Zealand most stations offer 3 different octane ratings - 91, 95 and 98, and the price reflects the octane level. Most Japanese cars seem happy to run on the 91, unless they are higher performance models in which they run on 95, and most European cars run on 95 or 98.

This Roadster build is my first foray into the world of Merican V8s and Hotrods and so it has been a world of learning the language, and the tricks

I am 2 weekends away from my first start and so I am about to fill my new engine with fluids - I have the break-in oil and the antifreeze all set to go........but what Octane fuel do you guys generally use in you V8s? My engine is a 427W stroker with an 8 stack EFI from Inglese. The guys at the Engine factory who built it said to use fuel of at least 87 octane. Gas is not cheap here....91 is US$5.80 per US gallon and the 98 is US$7.92 per US Gallon and I am figuring on this beast drinking it's fair share. I obviously want the best performance, but maybe V8's prefer a certain diet? All of our fuel is unleaded. You can get 100 octane here as well, but you generally buy it by the drum and store it somewhere handy.

What are you collective thoughts/wisdom regards the best gas to use? Do you use any additional additives?

cheers in advance.