BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Roadster vs MGB & Triumph TR-6

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Roadster vs MGB & Triumph TR-6

I've had a couple MG's in my day and fit in them fine. The TR-6, on the other hand, was never a good fit. Who can compare the fit of the MkIV to that of an MGB?

Thanks,

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    I happen to have all three presently. I have a 289 USRRC Mk IV roadster. The MGB is a 76, TR6 a 71. The TR6 is much narrower, making it feel cramped. I think the FF roadster is every bit as comfortable as the MGB as far as cockpit width. My seats are angled back in the FF with 2 1/2" raised in front of seat frame. Legroom may be slightly less, but I still find it very comfortable. I have the old style IRS in FF roadster and ride is probably even better than MGB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice stable, PeteH. That's good news about the fit - very encouraging. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Pete I sold my Mgb that I had for 20 years when I got my mk4 and fitment between them is similar with the mk4 feeling a bit more roomy to me due to the wider trans tunnel. Leg room is about the same as well with the mk4 having a little bit tighter pedals. How ever the pedal pads are adjustable.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    How tall are you?

I am 6"3" and fit in my MK4 quite comfortably.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi wareaglescott,
    I'm 6'2", but my son is 6'6" and my son in-law is 6'4". I was curious about the relative fit.

Thanks!

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Food for thought.... I’m 6’4” 290 ish lol And I sat in David Hodgkins brothers Trojan (fight on USC!) year before last at the HB show and I fit absolutely perfect. Sure you need to do a few mods, but no biggie. I have really bad knees and I was really worried about getting in and out along with my size and fitting.... I have ZERO worries about that now. I also talked to a guy last year there, his license plate says 6FOOT7 and he was a happy camper. Needless to say we pulled the trigger...

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Food for thought.... I’m 6’4” 290 ish lol And I sat in David Hodgkins brothers Trojan (fight on USC!) year before last at the HB show and I fit absolutely perfect. Sure you need to do a few mods, but no biggie. I have really bad knees and I was really worried about getting in and out along with my size and fitting.... I have ZERO worries about that now. I also talked to a guy last year there, his license plate says 6FOOT7 and he was a happy camper. Needless to say we pulled the trigger...

Kurt

That's great news, Kurt. I'm curious, though, as to what those few mods are. I may have wrongly understood that the extended DS footbox is now part of the kit. Is that true and what others are there? Thanks, again! Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
    That's great news, Kurt. I'm curious, though, as to what those few mods are. I may have wrongly understood that the extended DS footbox is now part of the kit. Is that true and what others are there? Thanks, again! Terry
    The latest version of the Mk4 has the DS footbox about as big as it can get. Some have done a minor mod around the accelerator pedal which gives a little more room for big feet/shoes. But kind of depends on the engine you use and doesn't help with overall driver height. The pedals are adjustable, so it's possible to have them further down in the footbox. Also possible to move the steering wheel in a little. But there are dependencies there, like if you want to add an aftermarket turn signal stalk. Some taller builders also look at a removable steering wheel. The most options now remaining though are with the seats. Big differences in how high you sit and leg length depending on the seats you choose. The standard low back Roadster seats are now "Big and Tall" meaning they're thinner and lower than in the past. But some use thinner racing seats, like Kirkey. Some also prefer a high back. Lots of options and you should be able to fit without any major modifications to the sheet metal or frame.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, what Paul said lol I’m not to that point yet but I will document anything I do for all of us big and tall folks.
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are my plates that say 6 FT 7, I also sat in David Hodgkins car. He's good about showing all the big and tall guys how to get in and whether you can be comfortable once you are in there.

If you use a small block Ford you will have room to move the side of the footbox toward the engine. I tried the "Big and Tall" seats but then sold them and used the Kirkey low back seats. The Kirkeys mounted as close the the floor and as far back as possible gave me 2" to 3" in each direction and they are quite comfortable.

Drop me a PM if you would like some details.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. Since I'll be building the 289 FIA/USRRC, I'll have the 289 and will probably go with the low back Kirkey. I'm leaning toward the turn signal lever option, but will have to look at what's period correct (although I did see a period photo with a turn signal lever). I'm feeling pretty good about it, actually. I know I will fit, but could never build a car my 6'-6" 320# son wouldn't fit in. But, hey, it's not a vacation car. Thanks, again! Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did someone say 6'6" 320? How about size 16 shoe?

Mods include a small block motor, Wilwood pedalbox, Kirkey racing seats, raised, detachable steering wheel (although I never need it).

FFMetal used to have a small block driver's inner pedal box wall that went with their firewall forward mod. That gave me more room to the right of the Russ Thompson gas pedal, which I added a "z" bend to. The wilwood pedals are adjustable and adjusted forward they give ~2" of legroom. The 17" kirkeys add ~2" more and drop your sightline below the top of the windshield. Do NOT get the 18's as they need to be mounted further forward than the 17"s. The 17's can be widened using a bottle jack if need be.

Personally, I like cut-down Kirkey intermediates better than the vintage seat but if you never try on both you won't know the difference.

My MKIII with cut-down Kirkey Intermediates:

Check the build thread in my sig for more info.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 09-24-2018 at 03:40 PM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David! My son has size 13 feet, I think, so that's a plus. I'll check out your build site. Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 64 MGB, and I could still get in it with the roof on..not quite so sure about the roadster..