FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Pressure

Experiencing fluctuations in oil pressure, it moves from say 60 psi to 75 then to 50 all while engine running at virtually the same RPM. I replaced the sender but the problem still exists, any history with Speedhut gages having issues? The sender is mounted directly to the block through some brass plumbing..
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get rid of the the brass connection between the sender and block. They are prone to failure. Use something like this https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9278A/1979-...SABEgL6bPD_BwE

Now, that doesn't necessarily solve your problem. You could have some debris in the oil passages that will cause a fluctuation in oil pressure. Is this a new motor? Mileage? Also, is this only at idle? Is it a standard volume pump or high volume?

Lastly, as the rpms rise, does oil pressure rise with it, or still jump around?

Sorry for all the questions. I would be tempted to drain the oil and cut open the filter to see if you have anything going on.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another option, if you have the room to spare, is to use an Oil Filter Sandwich adapter that is normally used to install an oil cooler like the one in the link shown below:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-ocs64/overview/

I'm running this exact piece (Chevy Version) that I drilled and opened it up to flow oil through the piece to install my oil temperature sending unit and the piece can also be used for both the oil pressure as well since it has two ports.

You can see how it looks on my engine in the beginning of the attached video link; however, I have no clue how your clearance would be with the SBF set up since I'm from: The Dark Side!

https://youtu.be/-nVDzIjSjh8

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-27-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My speed hut oil pressure gauge fluctuates at idle by as much as 10 psi, but when hooked up to a auto meter mechanical gauge the readings are as solid as a rock. I have tried various senders and have drawn the conclusion it’s probably the gauge doing it. You are not the only one with this problem.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 08-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Speedhut Oil pressure gauge fluctuates with my RPMs. I've been told it's a common issue and as long as it's reading it's probably good. I'll look into it this winter.