Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust

I just pulled the trigger and purchased the Boig Quiet Pipes, I hope they are quieter than the FFR stainless pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll definitely be interested in your experience.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Quiet, we don't need no stinkin' quiet

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    I just pulled the trigger and purchased the Boig Quiet Pipes, I hope they are quieter than the FFR stainless pipes.
    Sorry, I can't hear you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently installed Quiet Pipes as well.

Definitely quiet. It kind of removed personality to the car. However, I discovered that noise was limiting a lot the way I drive. Now I keep the rpm higher and accelarate much harder without having to worry about noise disturbance and disconfort.

It’s my fourth muffler set-up: Got plain steel from FFR by error, was replaced by stainless. Switch to Flowmaster Slimline 24in (should have had 30in). Now the Quiet pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    The FFR stainless are quieter than their steel but the difference with the Quiet Pipes is HUGE! I have one in the shop now with them and it's kind of shocking to start it up and not get the kind of sound that I'm so used to hearing from all the others (I think my Hemi powered Dodge Ram pickup may be louder!)

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I now have mixed emotions....my wife will love the Quiet Pipes if they are that quiet but it may take personality out of the car, uh oh.. I hope its a little more then my Ram truck exhaust sound. I read the slimline caused the pipes to be real heavy, guess if I don't like them I could try the Gas-N. Here we go....

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually, but not always, less noise = less horsepower. Sidepipes have a very restrictive constraint - space.

Anyone check the before/after hp/tqe?

Some may not be concerned, maybe I'm overly concerned.

I would agree that quiet allows for more spirited driving. My neighbors are happier when I'm quiet. I tend to disappoint.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I have worked to tame my roadster and get the bark out of the exhaust for years.
    Finished 2006 with 39,000 miles. It’s equipped with a Ford racing Winsor bored to 392ci, 425HP with 4 into 4 headers and no cats.

I would drive through parking lots rattling windows in buildings and setting off car alarms.

I have tried components from Design Chemistry, SlimLine mufflers from FlowMaster, inserts and every trick. But nothing tops Quiet Pipes.

Boig Quiet Pipes provide such a fantastic robust sound! They have a deep mellow pulsation that lets people know there is something special is coming down the street while not breaking any eardrums.

I recently drove from Boston to Vero Beach, Florida with my son and we could have a conversation at any time along the way.

Boig Quiet Pipes are precision designed and the fit and finish is could not be any better. The pipes line up perfectly, they sight parallel along the side of the car without any shims.
    The welding is a true work of art making for a great bit of eye candy while subtly taming the beast!

Here is another vote for quiet pipes.
    Craig

Picked up April 2004, completed June 2006 - Ford Racing 351-W, Bored & Stroked to 392ci, 430HP - 475ft/lbs torque. Holley 750 D.P., Tremec 3550, 3-link, FFR 15 Wheels, Color: Indo Ink Pearl with Super White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ x2. Love my quietpipes, put them on a few weeks ago. Here's a walkaround at idle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-XXwu2xnY

edit... fyi here's my specs...don't have enough posts to add a signature.
    FFR6653 - 3.1 complete delivered 6/10/08, first start 2/18/2009, go-kart 3/31/09, titled 12/7/2011, 331 DSS short block, Holley Street HP650 DP/Vic Jr intake, Edel RPM 2.02 heads, XE282HR, 3.55, TKO600 .64OD midshift, 3 link, badass black, fat 15's on Team3's, Boig QuietPipes
    Last edited by mcondos; 08-27-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcondos View Post
    ^^ x2. Love my quietpipes, put them on a few weeks ago. Here's a walkaround at idle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-XXwu2xnY
    Oh yea...that sounds sweet, can't wait. That video is a great idea, I'm going to do that and compare FFR stainless pipes and the Quiet pipes, thanks.

11. Thanks mcondos thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    you will not be disappointed in the quiet pipes. Had them on a 347 and a 427. Still sound good but you can talk to each other cruising down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere on the "other" forum is quite a bit of information including some dyno runs with different setups. The quiet pipes will be quiet, but you will lose a not so insignificant bit of HP. That may or may not matter to you. If I ever stop autocrossing, I would consider quiet pipes. I know my wife would love them, and I probably would for cruising.
    Flowmasters were the one option that lowered the sound without losing HP. My car with FFR stainless pipes and a 500hp 347 was insanely loud. I mean, ear plugs required at idle loud. Flowmasters really knocked it down, however my car is still loud.

A lot of people go for Gas-n-pipes. Not technically quieter when measured. But deeper sound which seems quieter.

Confused enough yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure they will be quieter. The FF pipes have a bark that is uncomfortable IMHO. I had Gas-N’s in mine and they are awesome with zero bark but rather a deep rumble and they look great.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 30" Flowmaster Slimlines and I like the sound and not too loud. I also have to run cats, so that quiets it down a bit as well.

Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Love to here the comparison once you get the pipes. Could you do a idle walk around and a 2500 rpm walk around and post I'm sure I'm not the only one who would. Thanks
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mcondos, your car is beautiful!!!

18. Thanks mcondos thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knocked 10dB off my exhaust using the quiet pipes. Very happy with them.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 347 dart, not very loud but still. Today I was going ~80MPH on the road, car was handling great.
    The thing I noticed was that I couldn't even hear the pipes! It was the wind instead.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    I have 347 dart, not very loud but still. Today I was going ~80MPH on the road, car was handling great.
    The thing I noticed was that I couldn't even hear the pipes! It was the wind instead.
    The wind noise is what I don’t like. I wear custom earplugs for the low speed engine noise. But that is what we signed up for.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the Patriot auger style inserts in my sidepipes. It was a lot of work; I had to cut the ends of the side pipes off and reattach them with stainless steel band clamps. I welded threaded couplers to the inserts so I could bolt them in place. the inserts had to be trimmed a lot to get them to fit inside. I also wrapped them with fiberglass cloth before inserting them. It really quieted the car down alot; it now sounds like a muscle car rather than a funny car. The inserts cost under $20 each, the band clamps about $10. I have no doubt the quiet pipes are better, but if you're on a budget, auger inserts is an affordable alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have cats and Gas'n pipes and I love the sound. It's not nearly as loud or ear piercing as other's I've heard. The exhaust note is much deeper than the factory five's. It's still loud but does not hurt your ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that compression ratio, cam profile, heads, and other particulars of an engine will affect the exhaust note. If you have a Coyote, don't assume you'll get the same exhaust note as someone running a 427 just by matching their exhaust components.

I think the base 302 has a nice mellow tone, but if you change to AFR or Trick Flow heads, you'll get a much sharper bark.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.