Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ride Height

Post Thanks / Like

Ride Height

In setting the ride height i can get the rear to 4 3/4 inches but I am having some difficulty getting the front to settle in. The front right is currently at 4 5/8 inches and I have no adjustment left on that shock (It is all the way out). On the left front it is currently 4 3/8 inches, about an inch of exposed threads on the shock. Has any one come across anything similar, as I have read everything I can find on this.

Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't want drive it that way. I'm guessing that if you weighed each corner right now, you'd have about 75% of the front weight on the front left tire. You have to keep in mind that there is no possible way to adjust just one corner of the car up or down. If all of the other corners measure what you want, there's no way to change the measurements on just one corner of the car. I always measure to make sure that the springs in the front of the car both measure the same and both rear springs measure the same (measuring from the bottom of the bottom of the spring seat/adjustment ring to the bottom of the threaded sleeve).

If both sides measure 4 3/4 in the rear and you have a difference of measurements in the front, all you can do is split the difference and make sure your spring measurements are the same. If you have access to scales, that would be best, but without scales, if you're having to crank one spring way up to try to just change one corner, all you're doing is setting up a cross-load on your car where the LH front and RH rear carry all of the weight.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

3. Thanks SteveE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    You don't want drive it that way. I'm guessing that if you weighed each corner right now, you'd have about 75% of the front weight on the front left tire. You have to keep in mind that there is no possible way to adjust just one corner of the car up or down. If all of the other corners measure what you want, there's no way to change the measurements on just one corner of the car. I always measure to make sure that the springs in the front of the car both measure the same and both rear springs measure the same (measuring from the bottom of the bottom of the spring seat/adjustment ring to the bottom of the threaded sleeve).

If both sides measure 4 3/4 in the rear and you have a difference of measurements in the front, all you can do is split the difference and make sure your spring measurements are the same. If you have access to scales, that would be best, but without scales, if you're having to crank one spring way up to try to just change one corner, all you're doing is setting up a cross-load on your car where the LH front and RH rear carry all of the weight.
    This is correct, and was my first thoughts as well. You have something out of adjustment. Get the springs measuring right for a starting point and then work slowly from there. Understand that when you adjust one corner you are actually adjusting the diagonally opposite corner as well. This is referred to as "cross" and must be paid attention to. When I do a race car on scales it takes hours to get the ride heights correct along with the corner weights correct.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

5. Thanks SteveE thanked for this post