Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: MA Crusher Car Question

Post Thanks / Like

MA Crusher Car Question

I have been reading about the MA crusher car rule and have two concepts that are confusing me.

1) From the table below you need to crush a car with an engine from the same category or higher than the engine you want to use. But the table is a bit confusing. For example, the 6 cylinder category only goes down to 3.0L. There are 6 cylinders smaller than 3.0L out there, like the Mercedes 250SE. Where would it fit in? Basically, do you need to match both sides of the ":". If I find a 5.0L 6 cylinder, would that cover me for a 5.0L V8?

3 or 4 cylinder: Up to 3.0 liters
    5 or 6 cylinder: 3.0- 5.0 liters (up to 302 cu in)
    Small V8: 4.0-5.4 liters (up to 327)
    Medium V8: 5.5-6.7 liters (up to 409)
    Large V8: 6.8 liters or more (over 409)

2) Does the crusher car need to have an engine and run? I figured I could buy a car that is missing an engine or worst, title it, register it for a year, and keep it parked in my driveway until it is time to crush it. I would never get an inspection sticker as the car would never leave the drive way. Does that plan work? I figured the body is the part that counts. I could always put a new engine in the body and be emissions exempt, but if there is no body left, the exemption is gone.

Thank you for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you’re going to do a v8,your crusher must be a v8. The crusher must have been registered for at least one year out of the previous 5 years at the time you purchase it. It must have the aforementioned engine in it. The purpose of the program is to get older polluting cars off the road. My crusher was a 1972 Mercedes 280se 4.5. It cost me $1300 and the junk yard gave me $200, for an $1100 net. I searched Craigslist daily for 3 weeks, was registered and running when I got it.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Rules are very specific. I suggest you call the Motorist Assistance Center near you for answers.! Those guys are very helpful.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have their number? I can't find their specific information other than some mavehiclecheck site that doesn't provide the MAC location or phone number. I called mavehiclecheck up and the said they would forward my info to the MAC, but I never receive a call back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The phone # for the MAC office in Norwood is 508 452 8536 they are very helpful.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasmodean View Post
    I have been reading about the MA crusher car rule and have two concepts that are confusing me.

1) From the table below you need to crush a car with an engine from the same category or higher than the engine you want to use. But the table is a bit confusing. For example, the 6 cylinder category only goes down to 3.0L. There are 6 cylinders smaller than 3.0L out there, like the Mercedes 250SE. Where would it fit in? Basically, do you need to match both sides of the ":". If I find a 5.0L 6 cylinder, would that cover me for a 5.0L V8?

3 or 4 cylinder: Up to 3.0 liters
    5 or 6 cylinder: 3.0- 5.0 liters (up to 302 cu in)
    Small V8: 4.0-5.4 liters (up to 327)
    Medium V8: 5.5-6.7 liters (up to 409)
    Large V8: 6.8 liters or more (over 409)

2) Does the crusher car need to have an engine and run? I figured I could buy a car that is missing an engine or worst, title it, register it for a year, and keep it parked in my driveway until it is time to crush it. I would never get an inspection sticker as the car would never leave the drive way. Does that plan work? I figured the body is the part that counts. I could always put a new engine in the body and be emissions exempt, but if there is no body left, the exemption is gone.

Thank you for any help.
    Quick answers:

1. The categories are 'groups' and your engine size in your cobra must fit into the same group or larger group that you are crushing. Example, if you have a 302 5.0 coyote, the crusher car must have small, med, or large v8 group. The crusher car can have a smaller motor than the cobra, but still must be in the same group. Mine was a 289 crusher, 302 in the cobra.

2. The crusher car must have been registered (and passed inspection) in the last 5 years. Registering without inspection doesn't count.

A few notes that may be helpful:

1. Current motor doesn't matter, it's just what is recorded on the title. You can email a list of plate numbers to the MAC and they will email you back engine size on the title/in their system and if it's been registered. If it doens't have the original motor currently the MAC doesn't know it, nor do they really need to know about it
    2. The 'crushing' part is between you and the wrecking yard. As long as they fill out the paperwork you are all set. I don't condone any bad behavior, but note there is zero check of the crusher car by the MAC at any stage of the process.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

Is the car required to be titled in Taxachusetts or can it be titled elsewhere?
    My thought process is that finding V/8 older cars, that are still registered, is a fairly easy thing to locate down here in the South, specifically Louisiana, Mississippi & Alabama.
    Mississippi may be a treasure trove since their TAG/Licence Plate is based on the year and older cars are at the lowest rates so tons of old car stay titled and on the road.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The other alternative is to buy a pre-1974 block and rebuild it. I found this to be a cheaper route.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

9. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Gentlemen,

Is the car required to be titled in Taxachusetts or can it be titled elsewhere?
    My thought process is that finding V/8 older cars, that are still registered, is a fairly easy thing to locate down here in the South, specifically Louisiana, Mississippi & Alabama.
    Mississippi may be a treasure trove since their TAG/Licence Plate is based on the year and older cars are at the lowest rates so tons of old car stay titled and on the road.

Steve
    Has to be registered in MASSAchusetts 12 months out of the last 5 years. That would require a mass title.
    Unless it was brought out of state after that registration period.

Let’s not take too many shots at Massachusetts it has much more to offer than many of the other 49 states
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

11. Likes J R Jones, john42 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Let’s not take too many shots at Massachusetts it has much more to offer than many of the other 49 states

My goal was to hopefully create a "Conduit For Crushers" for you fellows up in the North.
    Understand that I didn't mean to offend you, but I got a real kick out of Sir Duke's location on his profile.
    If you find yourself in New Orleans then look me up because my office is only a couple of blocks from the French Quarter.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-29-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    The other alternative is to buy a pre-1974 block and rebuild it. I found this to be a cheaper route.
    So if I buy a 1969 351w Block and rebuild it, I am good to go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford started putting VIN info on the blocks in 1967. So, you may need some paperwork showing the block was obtained legally. Pre-1967, there was no block assignment to a specific car. in my case, 1965 date code block, buying from a reputable supplier, Mike Forte, was sufficient.

So... yes you should be good to go if you have some paperwork on the block.
    Last edited by cnutting; 02-02-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a circus...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, a little involved. Just need to know the rules.

Give it a couple years when they implement the new Northeast green initiatives. Might see the hobby legislated away altogether around here...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. I think I've got this somewhat straight in my head. I have an engine (1958) that is in my roadster, fully rebuilt. If I understand what is being discussed, this engine will be acceptable without going the crusher route? Sounds great. I will also begin contacting the MAC office to confirm.

18. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Digging up an old thread. OP, what did you wind up doing? I've got to go through this at some point.

Thanks