FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: MA Build RMV requirements

Post Thanks / Like

MA Build RMV requirements

Hello

Kit doesn't arrive until July, but I'm trying to get my stuff together. Any advice on requirements for the Massachusetts RMV requirements would be greatly appreciated.

It's a coyote build. So, do I need a carbon filter? Windshield washer pump? Third brake light? Cats?

Is the "crusher car" the only way to go through the process?

Why do I feel like this part of the build isn't going to be fun?

Thank you in advance.

Tooth

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try and google "MA registration factory five forum" and you'll see a lot of posts around it.

Capt. B
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

4. Likes Tooth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be going through the process this summer hopefully and have a SBF. I am not installing bumpers, third brake lights, or a pump with my wipers. I am installing wipers just for the sake of New England. I believe I am correct so far. Not too sure on the coyote process but I would think that you can pass emissions if using all of the correct things after the headers.
    As for the crush car route, I started as soon as the order was placed with FFR. After probably 50 hours of searching and having deals fall through I found a car on the Cape. Definitely wasn't fun but adds to the adventure of building a car.
    VIN process is just checking that you own everything thankfully and the car can get on the road semi-legally before passing emissions.
    Mk4 Roadster, Complete Kit, 302 Carb. Blueprint, T5, IRS, Power Steering, Hydraulic Clutch, Wilwoods, 15" Halibrands, Ordered August 2021, Completion March 2022, First Start 6/22/22, First Drive 6/26/22

Post Thanks / Like
    Registering these cars can be a breeze or a real hassle. I see the poor guys in California and some other states taking months to make this happen. It would be a nice thing and a selling point for FFR to compile a list of requirements for each state as to their requirements, to registration, emissions, inspection etc. Registration was a real sticking point with me as to weather I was going to buy my car or not. I was not going to plunk down my money and build a car without finding out what my state requirement was. Caddy Dad who is in my state of Md. gave me a bunch of good info and made my process a breeze. I see such a wide variance of requirements to make this happen across the country it would be nice to know each state before a buyer makes a commitment to buying one of these cars. Maybe when things kind of get back to normal and companies are not struggling to stay alive, I might put a suggestion in the suggestion box at FFR. Until then fight the good fight

7. Likes Tooth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^I agree but they're under so much pressure to meet demand that I'm sure they don't have the time or people. Plus that probably would require someone to periodically check states for changes in laws.

Nice idea though.

Capt. B
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done multiple cars in Mass it can be intimidating. Not as hard as you may suspect but the biggest issue is finding people within the RMV that can actually answer questions. You won't need bumpers, third brakelight, etc. but you need what was typically on the car for the year built. When you are ready for the RMV inspection ask around as to where to go. Some offices can be a PIA and others can be real helpful. Stay away from Northboro!

10. Likes Tooth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can read here on how registering my coupe in MA went a few years back:
    Getting VIN:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post297421

Getting sticker:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post297436

Good luck.
    -Matt

12. Likes Tooth liked this post