BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Padded vinyl Dash– pros and cons

Post Thanks / Like

Padded vinyl Dash– pros and cons

So I received with my 20th anniversary kit the vinyl padded dashboard. I would like to know if anybody else has ever actually use that dashboard and what their results were with them. Some photos would be great. I’m concerned a little bit about its durability long-term. Thoughts???

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the Vinyl Padded dashboards with the glovebox. Overall it has more of an OEM look than the standard dash plus the glovebox is very practical. If you don't trash or beat on the Dash it will last the lifetime of your car. I have seen some really poor assembled and maintained Roadsters out there and you can tell the owner really doesn't care not how long they will last.. Then I have seen some really well assembled and maintained Roadsters which will last a lifetime

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the padded dash and like it a lot. Once installed, it is solid. I used the Breeze lower dash support brackets on mine, which also provide a good place to mount things like the speedometer reset button and other seldom used switches like my hazzard switch. There are several pictures in my build thread.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    it requires 4" gauges like the ones FFR sells. If you want to use something else you will have to modify it to fit your needs

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed many of them. really like it. The only issue I have run into is getting the glove box hinges to stay glued to the door. On the last one I built, I made an aluminum insert that goes inside the door. Same shape as the door but little smaller. I then rivet the hinges to that and then I can glue the insert to the inside of the door. Gives a whole lot more gluing surface.

Mike
    Last edited by michael everson; 08-29-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had 3 of them on cars in for paint and on all the glovebox door did not close flush with the dash. Since that was not in the scope of the work I was doing I didn't investigate the reason but I'd bet that Mike's solution is the cure (he's pretty clever that way ). Otherwise they looked and fit good.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Installed many of them. really like it. The only issue I have run into is getting the glove box hinges to stay glued to the door. On the last one I built, I made an aluminum insert that goes insert he door Same shape as the door but little smaller. I then rivet the hinges to that and then I can glue the insert to the inside of the door. Gives a whole lot more gluing surface.

Mike
    I used a JB Weld epoxy to attach the hinges. It's also important to rough the surface of the door and the metal pads. Also, lay the dash face down when attaching the glove box door and it should sit flush with the dash; mine does.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Works very well. Others I have seen have problems with the top covering laying down well. This you don't have to do with this dash. Marine 5200 adhesive and sealant is flexible and permanent and will hold this dash in place if you rough up the point of contact.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    The only issue I have run into is getting the glove box hinges to stay glued to the door.
    Mike
    Getting the glue to stick (and in the proper position while the glue sets) was also a big issue for me. Mike's idea sounds like a great one!
    I had to re-do it 3 or 4 times before I got it to stick and stick in the right place. I finally used some 3M Marine High Strength Repair Filler instead of glue and it has held up fine after a year of driving in gel coat.

There is also a little flex on attachment points like the headlight switch and ignition switch. You can test fit those pretty easily and see if it bothers you or not.

My initial logic for going with the padded dash was that it was part of the 20th Anniversary 'look'. It was also (supposedly) easy and I figured I could redo it later if it did not last.

So far, I'm still perfectly fine with the padded dash and probably won't need to redo anything.
    That said, I probably would not buy it or use it if it was not part of the 20th Anniversary Kit.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone for your input. I will pay particular attention to the hinges when I get to that point, I had just taken it out of the box the other day and it just seemed awful flimsy or Chencey and I wasn’t sure about it. I do like to finish look however.

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup the holes are for 4" gauges and the hinges need to be installed properly with a good adhesive/bonding material. The dash panel is a little flimsy but once installed it holds it shape pretty good and the glove box door does close flush.