Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pulled engine. New exhaust gaskets or copper rtv?

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled engine. New exhaust gaskets or copper rtv?

Just pulled engine to install new transmission.
    I have the bbk 4 into 4 headers from FFR, for the header gasket, and header to side pipe gasket, should I:

Reuse the existing gaskets, bit over 1000 Miles, everything came apart clean. Usually I would never reuse a gasket so thinking no.

Use copper rtv, I’ve read this suggestion on here before.

Order new ones. I don’t love this option as I live in Canada and getting anything specialty like this it usually has to come from the usa which means expensive shipping and customs brokerage.

What else while I have it our? Only have 1000 miles on the car so most stuff is new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Just pulled engine to install new transmission.
    I have the bbk 4 into 4 headers from FFR, for the header gasket, and header to side pipe gasket, should I:

Reuse the existing gaskets, bit over 1000 Miles, everything came apart clean. Usually I would never reuse a gasket so thinking no.

Use copper rtv, I’ve read this suggestion on here before.

Order new ones. I don’t love this option as I live in Canada and getting anything specialty like this it usually has to come from the usa which means expensive shipping and customs brokerage.

What else while I have it our? Only have 1000 miles on the car so most stuff is new.
    I used copper RTV. Still going strong at 10k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    Any tips? Guessing just a light bead? Don’t want to be filling up my exhaust ports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Copper RTV, works great. Light bead should do it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a small bead of copper rtv very little squeeze out. I also replaced the header bolts with ARP studs. I found it was much easier to mount the headers without smearing the rtv.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used a header gasket in over a decade.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the rtv but check the header flange for flat by running a flat file over it. Any spots that don't get file marks are low. I once there are no more low spots hit it w/ 100 grit on a 1/4 sheet sander or similar.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used copper sealant like others above and it works good as long as you have flat mating surfaces. Don't expect miracles from RTV if the surfaces are not flat. The composition gaskets are more forgiving of surfaces that are not perfect but I'd never try to reuse them; and because they are more pliable they also seem to loosen sooner than using RTV alone. On my latest car I use copper gaskets as the headers have to come off from time to time and the copper gaskets can be reused. And I don't have to tighten the bolts as frequently as the composition style gaskets.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can probably reuse the composition gaskets with a very light coat of high temp rtv as a gasket prep. How ever if you used graphite gaskets they are done and you can either go the rtv only route or get new gaskets. This will work fine on a non turbo engine. The only catch is rtv can be a pain to clean up from aluminum heads the next time the headers are removed.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know where you are in Canada, but Lordco Parts in BC, carry the Remflex gasket line, which makes both the header, and the 4 into 4 exhaust gaskets. Great quality product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I put headers back on last night with copper RTV, hopefully works as well for me as everyone else.
    I liked JR’s stud suggestion, I cut the heads off a couple old header bolts and used them as studs to guide the headers on without smearing the rtv, worked great.