Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Build manual updated?

Post Thanks / Like

Build manual updated?

Is Revision 3B April 2019 the most current digital version of the build manual?
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I have 3G from Jan 2020 and I’d bet there have been some since
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

3. Thanks Dduty thanked for this post
    Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My kit last Friday (9/25) came with revision "3H June 2020"

5. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anybody map the best way to build, e.g. a flow diagram, because the order of the manual doesn't always seem to make sense or additional steps are needed?

I think it would be an interesting exercise....

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's personal preference due to the owners overall plan....On mine, I'm not necessarily following the manual page by page. My first goal is a rolling chassis but since I am waiting on upper control arms for my 4-link suspension I'm jumping around a lot (working on aluminum panels, sound deadener/insulation, fuel tank, pedal box, steering column, etc.). Once my control arms come in I'll jump back to focusing on rolling chassis so I can get the engine installed.

I think the biggest thing is making sure you don't go backwards meaning you install something that needs to be removed later to install other parts first. That is really where I'm using the manual (plus torque specs), I flip through the pages to make sure my parts being installed don't interfere with other parts later down the road.

Example, I was going to immediately jump to the pedal box and steering column until I remembered I had the sound deadener and insulation package and once I found out a lot of pieces went on the firewall I did that first so once I installed the pedal box / steering column I didn't have to remove it to install the deadener and insulation. Same with the fuel tank....I did the aluminum shelf, and I test fitted the tank, but I'm glad I didn't bolt it in yet and start plumbing it, because Steve reminded me that sound deadener goes under the tank. I would have gone backwards had I had to remove the tank & plumbing to add the deadener.

Again personal choice but for me organization and time & step management is the best plan.
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 10-02-2020 at 05:00 AM.

8. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    one of the problems in the manual is that they don't "warn" for some of this stuff,....

10. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
    one of the problems in the manual is that they don't "warn" for some of this stuff,....
    Yup..agree, that is very true......fortunately from doing other restorations I get a gut feel when I think there are other parts that should be included in certain portions of the car so I begin looking further before buttoning things up.

The challenge with the manual is it's written by people who put these things together all the time so they overlook stuff they consider trivial but those trivial items turn out to be important for the people buying the kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the latter part of my build I created a list of tasks in my to-do app (I use Things 3) and then every time I come across a tip or trick in these forums, or notice someone doing something I want to do, I update my list. I create the original list by going through the old Gen1 manual, then revised a few based on Gen2 body, and since then I've moved a few things around based on feedback here.

It really helps do the build in the right order, and I've saved myself some rework a few times.

The beauty of a to-do list on your computer/phone is that you can add new tasks in between, or re-order your tasks really easily.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

13. Likes 33fromSD, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    For the latter part of my build I created a list of tasks in my to-do app (I use Things 3) and then every time I come across a tip or trick in these forums, or notice someone doing something I want to do, I update my list. I create the original list by going through the old Gen1 manual, then revised a few based on Gen2 body, and since then I've moved a few things around based on feedback here.

It really helps do the build in the right order, and I've saved myself some rework a few times.

The beauty of a to-do list on your computer/phone is that you can add new tasks in between, or re-order your tasks really easily.
    I guess I'm old school. I have a white board in the garage.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

15. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    White board in the garage is a good idea....I leave notes taped to parts I have installed or to be installed with items or comments I still need to do or a reminder of things I should add / include before calling that section done.

Sometimes my wife will tell me I have more notes on my projects than parts.

17. Likes HVACMAN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    hah! I used to have one too, yes. But I'm just a nerd and love being able to add new tasks in the middle of other tasks - my whiteboard was getting very untidy with arrows and squeezing new tasks in. Start with a list of 10 tasks and always end up with 20!
    James

19. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I ended up doing was to read/browse through the assembly guide to understand and see the sequencing. Then followed it from front to back. I also cut the top corner of the pages off so I could see what I had completed, that way I could see my progress and not have to fumble and remember where I was. There will be some pages that you really cant do or can be done and then removed and redone after but those you leave unclipped until they are permanently done. It was nice to clip off that last corner earlier this spring!! Have fun!!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas