BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Has Anyone here used this tool??

Post Thanks / Like

Has Anyone here used this tool??

Clamptite tool:

I saw this tool on a car show last night and thought it was pretty cool. It is not intended to be unsed in place of hose clamps, etc; but if something goes wrong and you need a clamp to get you to a repair location, it looks like a great idea.
    Anyone have one in their car tool bag? I'm thinking of adding it to my bag for those "never going to happen" emergencies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Zb1U6aaTozI

Here's another view of how it works;
    https://youtu.be/AVCSA3mU5wI?t=6m45s
    Last edited by DadofThree; 08-30-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

2. Likes RonJon24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In over 50 yrs of driving, I have never once had a need for such a thing. For what it costs, you could buy a dozen of every size hose clamp on your car.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen these advertised for a few years now on one of the automotive themed TV shows but never used one. I haven't seen a head to head unbiased test of this type of clamp vs. a typical hose clamp where each is tested to failure to see which one holds better under pressure.

So I stick with hose clamps for most push-on hose or banding for larger sizes. I have used safety wire on smaller hose in some low pressure applications and in those instances I use safety wire pliers. I'm not convinced that this tool is much better than a double wrap of safety wire and can't believe it's near as good as a garden variety hose clamp. But if you buy one let us know how it works for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know that I would buy it but I do think it's slick. I could see one in my Bug-Out bag....Off roading kit … for banding......When my son Isaac was 13 years old (boy that would have come in handy )...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

I have seen this tool before, and I agree that it could be pretty useful. However, I have no first hand experience with it. I would consider keeping it on my emergency tool kit as well. Please let us know if you decide to go forward.

One thing that I have noticed, is that it doesn't appear to be a tool that you can just give it a try and have it work well. I think it would take some practice to get it to function properly. I would plan on taking some practice runs with it on some spare material before you actually need it in that emergency. At least that's what I would do Dave.

I am not sure I helped, but I hope you let us know if you get one. I would be interested in hearing of your experience!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Got one, but then again I am a tool junkie and amount of rehab has helped. it works great, but so do regular clamps. Can be handy around the house/car when you need a quick repair and don't have a clamp. Can be used on most any size pipe/tube. Larger diameters just require thicker wire. Nice thing is that most of us have some safety wire or mechanics wire in the tool box and it works great.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one. I like unusual and unique tools. Not sure how often I'll use it, though. Happens to be made locally.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I could really see buying this item simply to have on hand for emergencies.

Post Thanks / Like
    My impression of that tool is that it is simple and effective. These kind of things are ingenious and fascinating to me and I am tempted to get one just for that reason. However, I think it would be rare occasion I would need it and I would have to watch the youtube video a few times to figure it out. That would take away from its effectiveness "out on the road". Also, I agree with WIS89 it would probably take some practice runs to get the wrap just right...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread