Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Overflow tank Options

Post Thanks / Like

Overflow tank Options

Currently using the FFR thin / tall coolant reservoir, would like something better. Suggestions ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Summit 34 oz. tank, mounted on the PS F-panel / 3/4inch tubes. So far so good on a Dart 427w.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-300103
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed this one from Breeze

https://www.breezeautomotive.com/sho...y-aftermarket/

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Only advice I can offer is; make sure it will hold the capacity that your engine pukes out when it gets to temp. I found out that my engine pukes out more than the tank can hold and spills the remainder to ground - that causes the engine to suck back air when cooling down, causing me to add about a pint a week to the system. Sized correctly [now], that no longer happens.

Usually 30-40 Oz should be enough.

That being said, many have complained about the supplied F5 tank being too small if you go overboard with the cubic inches of your engine - guys with [heavily] modified 5.0's and 351's are losing water, guys with mostly stock engines, not so much.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am about ready to mount the overflow tank on my Coyote build. Any of the running Coyotes finding they need a reservoir? I have run a lot of engines that did not push any water out. Starting with an empty reservoir, I do want to be able to contain what might be pushed out in a high heat situation. Hopefully the Coyote engine and proper cooling will not be an issue.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also using the one from Breeze with a modified big block[ 550 rwhp ] no issues works flawless. I like this bottle because you can see the coolant and I also use clear hose back to the radiator cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Starting with an empty reservoir, I do want to be able to contain what might be pushed out in a high heat situation.
    I wouldn't run it with an empty overflow from the get-go. You should have some coolant in it to start with. The last thing you want is to get air in your cooling system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the stock FFR tank and it would overflow even from empty with a 302. I put on one from summit that I believe was 56oz, it’s overkill but rather be lookin at it than lookin for it.
    From what I was overflowing from the stock 22oz tank I think 36 oz would be about right around what my system was expanding, but not much space for leaving extra in the tank. I never measured though so not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I will just run an empty oil bottle until I see what capacity I need. Those B cool and Cantons are high priced.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a tank made by Jaz. It’s translucent and helps me monitor the coolant level easily. Holds about half a gallon
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I picked up a universal tank from Jegs that I mounted to a bracket that I fabricated which mounts on the X-Brace because I didn't care for the SS piece because I wanted to see the coolant in the tank.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman-Produc...3-001/10002/-1

I tried to use a Recovery Tank from a Toyota Land Cruiser; however, my engine (SB Chevy) sits a bit too far forward to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruiser-Coola...70_&dpSrc=srch

I was going to mount it on the right side, but my engine is 6" further forward and again it was way to close to the front header tube.
    If you are interested in it, I can ship it to you, assuming that I can find the sucker in my shop.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-31-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am about ready to mount the overflow tank on my Coyote build. Any of the running Coyotes finding they need a reservoir? I have run a lot of engines that did not push any water out. Starting with an empty reservoir, I do want to be able to contain what might be pushed out in a high heat situation. Hopefully the Coyote engine and proper cooling will not be an issue.
    I have a Canton tank with no issues. have never lost or added a drop.wiley.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to avoid plastic tank, right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Save yourself a lot of wasted time & get one that is made for the COYOTE. Started with the FFR part, got the large version from Summit (still on the car) & still lost water. Put in the MOROSO tank & have not lost a drop in two years. Also totally sealed & automatically solves the burp problem of getting all the air out of the block.

One hose to the radiator to evacuate air, one to the top of the engine burp pipe & the third to the water pump area. Part duplicates the plastic Mustang GT tank which can also be used.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your set up. My air intake runs straight forward and for now is/will be located where your over flow container is located. I might have enough room to mount it on either side, along the inner fender edge.
    Tell me about the lines feeding your tank. 1 to the radiator, probably in the top petcock hole, 2 to to the burp line on the engine. I understand those 2, but the last to the water pump area, I do not know about.
    I am not at my car, so I am trying to visualize it. I have already spliced in the radiator filler cap in the upper hose. Tell me about the breather filter on the DS valve cover. I would rather do that than plumb into the air intake tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Kevin (BEAR-AvHistory). Go the route that Ford intended for the coyote. Get the Moroso tank and the extra hoses. The hardest part is mounting the tank. Fabricate a couple of brackets to mount to the frame cross member above the radiator, attach another bracket on the bottom to steady it, and you're good to go.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your set up. My air intake runs straight forward and for now is/will be located where your over flow container is located. I might have enough room to mount it on either side, along the inner fender edge.
    Tell me about the lines feeding your tank. 1 to the radiator, probably in the top petcock hole, 2 to to the burp line on the engine. I understand those 2, but the last to the water pump area, I do not know about.
    I am not at my car, so I am trying to visualize it. I have already spliced in the radiator filler cap in the upper hose. Tell me about the breather filter on the DS valve cover. I would rather do that than plumb into the air intake tube.
    The radiator petcock gets swapped out for a normal hose fitting. The picture shows the third hose, it runs to a input nipple on the bottom of the tank. Made my hangers from short pieces of scrap aluminum bar stock with a slight bend to level the tank.

Breathers are straight push-ins made for the COYOTE. IIRC got them from a Mustang supply shop or Summit. Google COYOTE engine breathers, lots of choices.

About the intake. Have been slowly making a CAI from the oil cooler duct up to the filter. Been running with just the 5" hose ending just below the conical filter. Finally got the air box I have been looking for from a salvage yard. In the process of trimming & fitting it now.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-31-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterAdam View Post
    I have a Canton tank with no issues. have never lost or added a drop.wiley.jpg
    X2 on the Canton. The 2qt one has a sight tube on the side so checking coolant is a 2 second glance when the hood is open. I put a sharpie mark so that I can tell if there is a coolant loss.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    X3 on the canton
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.