Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How to mount the roadster 33 windshield

Post Thanks / Like

How to mount the roadster 33 windshield

I have just checked out how to mount the 33 roadster windshield. I was hoping for a full sized template in the box (of the one in the manual) but no luck. If I measure 7” from the front of the firewall, I end up very close to the seem. I checked the body both on and off the car and nowhere does the windshield contact the frame. Am I to believe the nuts and small washers are going to support this windshield without a backing strip or some kind of reinforcement to the fiber glass.
    I must be missing a step.

If it does mount this way, why wouldn’t you mount the windshield with the body off? You could easily put in a nice backing strip and reach the nuts easily.

I am interested in what some of you done with the FF windshield mounting.

Thanks
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the correct way to mount it, I used fender washers and mounted mine on the body before it went on the chassis after paint. When building the car I installed it after the body was mounted. It actually isn't that hard but a lot easier with the body off.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I just had a hard time believing there was no connection to the car frame. I put the body on and marked all the holes checked against the actual windshield. I pulled the body off and mounted the windshield using an aluminum bar 1-1/2” wide and an 1/8” thick as a back up under the glass, worked great.

Thanks for your help
    TomH33

4. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That should be a very solid connection and a great idea. I have just over 5,000 miles on my car so far and all is well.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater