Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wide band O2 sensor angle

Post Thanks / Like

Wide band O2 sensor angle

I have Gas N Performance headers and side pipes. My Fitech unit suggests the sensor to be placed on the collector which I don’t have. I was going to place right before the muffler on the side pipe which is fine but they suggest at 10 degrees above horizontal which I cannot do because of the frame. Any issue with it below horizontal?

Thanks,

Steve
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    I think anything above 3 and 9 o clock inclusive will work. The locations below that plane will expose the sensor to more moisture, which is deadly on O2 sensors.

Are you sure you do not have a confluence of the header tubes, probably where the side pipes bolt on?

Also, some have located the sensor in ONE header tube. You will have to research which tube gives the best reading on each side of the engine.
    Last edited by Railroad; 09-04-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replied to your PM and am copying it here---

I've heard this before and to my understanding the concern is moisture/condensation on the sensor. In the case of our cars our hands are kind of tied. I done them like this on a couple of cars with no ill effects after 20K+ miles:

Long term, all weather, daily driver could be a different story but we often have to make compromises on these cars.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    In the conversations we've had with FiTech, their tech dept. told us that placing the O2 sensor no more than 18" from the head was more important. FiTech told us to weld the bung into the #2 header tube which is what we did in the picture below. The system seems to work perfectly. Customer loves it.

FiTech O2 bung by i.e.427, on Flickr