Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: turbos

Post Thanks / Like

turbos

Thinking about putting small turbos on each side of my coyote a50xs. I have room to run headers out between frame and front roll bar leg, turbo will be outside with air to water heat exchanger going along fender both in and outside.This would be on both sides and i think can be made to look very cool, with more power!!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be waiting to see photos -- had similar thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing on my MK4 with 4.6 SOHC. I even bought a cheap amazon turbo to test fitment. IT got very very crowded on my drivers side fender. The power steering pump, and lots of powers steering and hydroboost lines along with master cylinder and steering shaft was overwhelming amount of obstacles, so I dumped the turbos and added a centrifugal blower.
    Please post pics, I'd love to see it. If I were to start over again I would consider a manual steering and manual brake car so that I could feel more confident about my ability to rout all the charge pipes and waste gates and IC's

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it will be custom , but most of car is already that way. talked to SHAUN PERRY at AED and at 91 gas good for 6psi, but need boss intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have info on boost with CJ intake? I don't see what the problem would be, it is a cleaned up boss intake. Going with garrett G-25-550 turbos.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've looked at several locations for twin Garrett 35s. I personally believe they could be mounted in the front of the motor with the right plumbing though that would direct hot air through them from the radiator. I also look at a low mount by the firewall which would seem to work, but the heat concerns me. One thing we have looked at seriously is a rear mount. Lots of room there. We are not looking for efficiency needed for 30 psi of boost. 6-8 lbs would be awesome. Fact is if we could use the power adder with a reduced requirement for inter cooling that would even be better.

P1010054.jpgP1010055.jpgP1010056.jpgP1010056.jpgP1010058.jpg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What about maybe a Banks Twin Turbo SBC Instead?

https://www.jegs.com/p/Banks/Banks-S...17514/10002/-1

https://youtu.be/wweKqyQcOsk

It would look extremely cool seeing a pair of hair driers hanging out on each side of the motor.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The turbos will be through frame just above steering shaft, hoping to be half in & out above fender. Air to water intercoolers under fenders, then out of fender into engine. I still need to get light & brake ins. and plates, hope next week then on to turbo work. And need to find tuner that will or can tune it with the CJ intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve - that is a good looking setup, but working with parts i have!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out blacklabelspeedshop.com

They did a twin turbo 33 with the turbos plumbed to the rear. Awesome work.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to keep things close to engine , no lag!

Post Thanks / Like
    With a 2400 lbs car, lag is not going to be your issue. Unless you limit the boost to something less than NA when you hit that pedal with twins you are gonna feel like someone smacked you in the head with a sledgehammer. I've had a 4000 lbs car with twins at over 1500 to the wheels. I ran it on the springs at 8 psi on the street and it was still terrifying. We couldn't even ramp up the boost to 30 psi until the end of a 1/4 mile track. Just an opinion.

BTW here were the smaller twins against the car.

P1010020.jpgP1010016.jpgP1010017.jpgP1010018.jpgP1010019.jpgP1010021.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 09-27-2018 at 05:01 PM.

13. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going to take this over to the build (Toms 33) as i have bought parts and will build!

15. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. I'm subscribing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    What specs are those Tials?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been so long I cannot honestly recall. They made a thousand to the wheels on an LS3 CTSV As I recall they were Garret 35's.
    Last edited by wrp; 09-30-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also considered this option for our 4.6 4v. Concerns about driveability was what ultimately persuaded me to go with the ProCharger (in theory power starting at 2,500 rpm. Engine was built with all forged internals, capable of 1,000hp, so it was ready for boost. Also did and air/air intercooler. I must say the engine compartment is very crowded, (hydroboost, AC, ABS, PS, wipers). While I agree that turbos would likely fit, I'm satisfied that what we built was plenty unique enough and certainly challenging, but still fun, most of the time. IMO, anything more that 450hp to the rear wheels, will not be beneficial on the street.

Our car is at the tuner this week, everything has to be adjusted, not so much for peak power, but for driveability.

I read a book titled, The Art of Racing in The Rain. An analogy was used to describe the pressure applied to the brake & gas pedals being like having fresh eggs taped to them. I'm imagining that above 4k rpm, a steady hand and light quick feet will be the mandate to keep the shiny side up.

Cheers,
    Vince

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen any mention of camshaft specs with the turbo set up. Depending on back pressure, LSA, and overlap, you may need to change the cam to avoid "cross talk" between exhaust and intake. Remember lifting off the throttle has to work as well as getting on the throttle. Turbos are much different than a Paxton set up. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have read that the A50XS cams are ok with boost, and cam timing.
    If anyone knows about this let me know.