Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mount master cylinders outside footbox

Post Thanks / Like

Question Mount master cylinders outside footbox

I dont like the master cylinders inside the footbox where they are not easily accessible.
    Has anyone used forward swing pedals to mount the cylinders outside the footbox in the engine compartment? How about with a vacuum booster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Swap out for a donor pedal box and use whitby power brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thousands of FFR roadsters were built with the forward mounted m/cylinder, with, or without a booster..the Wilwood setup is relatively new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two options: Use a donor Mustang box as mentioned. Or the Wilwood box can be modified pretty easily to mount a dual master cylinder outside the footbox. Either boosted or not. Vacuum or hydroboost. Involves installing a pushrod below the Wilwood brake pedal pivot. Mike Forte is one that I know does this mod. IMO no need to mess around with different swinging pedals or whatever.

Having said that, while I was a little concerned as well with the MC's inside the footbox, having done two builds with them outside (one Mustang, one Wilwood) I find it's a clean and relatively simple setup. Plus easy to add a hydraulic clutch. I like it. Between the access cover now standard on the DS footbox, and how exposed they are from the underneath, access isn't a big deal IMO. They are reliable and shouldn't need access frequently at all. Unless you're absolutely deadset on power, I would leave them as designed.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-05-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    On the 33HR I changed the clutch pedal to forward push and installed a bell crank on the brake pedal to reverse the push and move the master cylinder up on the fire wall to clear the valve cover. Check Pic._DSC0103.jpg

This was not had to do and works great.

TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess it is best to leave as designed. Thanks again.
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What I did was cut out the factory mounting and weld in a much simpler mounting with four vertical bolts. Disconnect the lines and the four bolts and the entire pedal and master assemblies drop right out. No picture right now but basically just two bars from the front plate to the 2X2.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the way to do it. Using a Mustang pedal box and
    http://www.cncbrakes.com/Product.asp...240&subseries=
    The 241 bolts right up in place of the standard MC. I have been running one of these for 10+ years.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    This is the way to do it. Using a Mustang pedal box and
    http://www.cncbrakes.com/Product.asp...240&subseries=
    The 241 bolts right up in place of the standard MC. I have been running one of these for 10+ years.
    I think your solution was way, way better than mine.
    This is one of those things that I wish I knew before I started my project.
    It is why I moved the wiring harness to the passenger side of the car so that I wouldn't bury the MC's in a sea of wires.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...3&d=1458505005
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...1&d=1458503188
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-06-2018 at 06:56 AM.