Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Auction - 06 STi

Post Thanks / Like

Auction - 06 STi

https://imgur.com/a/jfXYD6l

I won an auction yesterday for my donor vehicle. It's a 2006 STi with 107k miles.

Plan so far

1) Compression test
    2) Overall inspection of the vehicle
    3) Rebuild / Refresh engine
    4) Simplify the engine -- removing unnecessary items
    5) Restore / Rebuild any brake components
    6) Upgrade some components injectors, turbo maybe, inlet, fuel, etc.
    7) Profit??

Any thoughts and recommendations?

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice buy!
    1) definitely
    2) yes
    3) depends on #1
    4) I'd do it as you assemble.
    5) YES.
    6) See below
    7) Maybe, but more like minimizing cost (unless you have a large Subie group in your area)

But something to remember...

That engine is rated at 300hp@ 6k rpm. The STi's I've driven are already hyper once the turbo hits, and the car weighs in at appx. 4000 lbs. AND it's turning all 4 wheels.

You're putting it in a car that will weigh roughly half that, with half the drivetrain to turn.
    Don't get me wrong, I had the same thoughts about beefing this and upgrading that, but got to thinking...how much power can you put in a car that weighs next to nothing before it becomes...REALLY difficult to control?

Food for thought.
    The Undead Gearhead, back from beyond the grave

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my Mustang donor, and got all the parts off of it that I needed. Then sold the rest for more then I paid for it. Free parts and a profit.
    Looks like you have some stuff on the car that would sell; wheels, headlights, exhaust, interior seems pretty decent etc.

Good luck

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Smith View Post
    Nice buy!
    1) definitely
    2) yes
    3) depends on #1
    4) I'd do it as you assemble.
    5) YES.
    6) See below
    7) Maybe, but more like minimizing cost (unless you have a large Subie group in your area)

But something to remember...

That engine is rated at 300hp@ 6k rpm. The STi's I've driven are already hyper once the turbo hits, and the car weighs in at appx. 4000 lbs. AND it's turning all 4 wheels.

You're putting it in a car that will weigh roughly half that, with half the drivetrain to turn.
    Don't get me wrong, I had the same thoughts about beefing this and upgrading that, but got to thinking...how much power can you put in a car that weighs next to nothing before it becomes...REALLY difficult to control?

Food for thought.

I’m kind of planning to get everything right with the donor parts while I still have the donor. Like, pull motor, make sure everything is good, put it back and make sure everything is good. Does that make sense? The donor should be able to run and drive (albeit illegally) around my neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I wasn't looking to make big power or anything. I've had a 2011 STi with 380whp and my current 2013 STi has about 320whp. The weight would make a pretty big difference. I'd like to be 320whp with good torque numbers. A friend of mine races Subarus and he's offered to help me rebuild the motor. Looking forward to tearing it down!

I'm thinking about the normal mods for the 2006 STi motor. Common maintenance issue items.

KillerB pan / pickup / baffle
    KillerB EL headers
    External Wastegate
    Turbo -- 107k miles on the current one.. no idea the condition yet
    Fuel rails
    Injectors
    FPR
    Turbo inlet
    EBCS
    TGV Deletes?
    Air pump Deletes?

Looks like 2006 STi is side feed injectors so I need to figure out what that's all about.

I'm not positive about AWIC or TMIC?? I've seen some other folks shift the TMIC to the rear bumper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grabera7 View Post
    Looks like 2006 STi is side feed injectors so I need to figure out what that's all about.
    Replace with 02-07 TGV deletes, top feed injectors, and top feed fuel rails. That's not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mind if I ask how much you paid and how you were able to find the auction listing? Feel free to send me a private message if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.

As far as the car, my biggest piece of advice is keep it stock other than the oil pickup. I rally STIs and all the issues I've seen with STI engines have come from people trying to go crazy with extra power. We rally a stock 2004 STI and it has thousands of stage miles on it without any major problems. It just went in for new head gaskets as a precaution since we were getting some bubbles in the coolant, but that's the first time we've needed to touch the engine. The stock engine makes plenty of power and is dead reliable if you don't mess with it.
    Last edited by spaceywilly; 09-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceywilly View Post
    Do you mind if I ask how much you paid and how you were able to find the auction listing? Feel free to send me a private message if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.

As far as the car, my biggest piece of advice is keep it stock other than the oil pickup. I rally STIs and all the issues I've seen with STI engines have come from people trying to go crazy with extra power. We rally a stock 2004 STI and it has thousands of stage miles on it without any major problems. It just went in for new head gaskets as a precaution since we were getting some bubbles in the coolant, but that's the first time we've needed to touch the engine. The stock engine makes plenty of power and is dead reliable if you don't mess with it.
    I paid $6000 for the vehicle on a copart.com auction. There's a way to filter for No License Required vehicles so that you don't need to use a broker. I did learn after winning the auction that because I'm a private bidder without a license I had to pay 15% (wire transfer) or 20% (credit card). And then there was a $600 delivery fee for the vehicle.

It's got >107k miles so I really do want to freshen up the short block. Not looking to make a lot of power. Added a couple of new pictures to the Imgur album today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took some pictures of the interior today.

https://imgur.com/a/sIF4jJT

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's a great deal, thanks for the info. Looks very clean. I might have to start shopping for my donor

Yes with over 100k it's worth taking a look at the engine and getting it back to a "known quantity." I would just recommend staying in the neighborhood of stock power. That should be more than enough for an 1800lb car! Have fun

If you are looking for a tune we have a Cobb access-port on the rally car and it's great. Very easy to send logs over to our tuner after a run, have him tweak it and send back a new tune, and flash it over to the car. Definitely worth it to get the engine running well, just make sure to use a reputable tuner.
    Last edited by spaceywilly; 09-12-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, every STI auction I watched last year went up over double that. Even the ones that said "not running." Nice grab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceywilly View Post
    Yes with over 100k it's worth taking a look at the engine and getting it back to a "known quantity." I would just recommend staying in the neighborhood of stock power. That should be more than enough for an 1800lb car! Have fun

If you are looking for a tune we have a Cobb access-port on the rally car and it's great. Very easy to send logs over to our tuner after a run, have him tweak it and send back a new tune, and flash it over to the car. Definitely worth it to get the engine running well, just make sure to use a reputable tuner.
    I have an accessport for my 2013 STi and I'm pretty happy with it. It just stays in the glovebox though. I am considering one of the open source tuning options for this engine though. I'm fortunate that IAG is local to me and they've got a great tuner who comes through every month.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Man, every STI auction I watched last year went up over double that. Even the ones that said "not running." Nice grab.
    Thanks! Everything seems to be in working order so far. I need to start systematically taking things apart and checking them... a little overwhelming trying to think of the order.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen a couple on IAAI go for pretty cheap, ($750-$2k) but those were essentially for the engine/transmission. You weren't using ANY suspension parts...OR selling any body panels.
    Only considered those because as of now, I don't have room to store all the parts. But I do have room for an engine on a stand...
    The Undead Gearhead, back from beyond the grave